: Tranny temps...what is normal?

LFTW8S
09-13-10, 08:29 PM
While cruzing (low speed driving) the other night, I noticed my tranny temps were in the high 190's. Seems way too hot for minimal (low speed) driving. When I hit the highway, it cooled down to the 170's. That said...what is normal? :hmm:

M-1028
09-13-10, 11:03 PM
Sounds right to me. Most transmissions run about the same temp as the engine they are bolted to. All of my vehicles have trans temp guages, and they all read close to what the engine runs.

baabootoo
09-14-10, 12:50 AM
It depends upon the ambient also.

wfo
09-14-10, 06:47 PM
Sounds right to me. Most transmissions run about the same temp as the engine they are bolted to. All of my vehicles have trans temp guages, and they all read close to what the engine runs.

I agree.

6speeder
09-15-10, 10:10 AM

It depends on how the tranny is cooled. Most cars transfer tranny heat INTO the radiator, so they will run about/slightly above coolant temps. If an external cooler is used they can/will run cooler than the coolant.

M-1028
09-15-10, 01:15 PM
It depends on how the tranny is cooled. Most cars transfer tranny heat INTO the radiator, so they will run about/slightly above coolant temps. If an external cooler is used they can/will run cooler than the coolant.

I agree, but alot of factors come into play. How hot the engine runs, size of the cooler, it's location, I could go on and on. The fact is that the trans will run close to the engine temp is all I was getting at.

LFTW8S
09-15-10, 02:48 PM

Does the V have an external (other than the radiator cooling the fluid) tranny fluid cooler?

M-1028
09-15-10, 11:24 PM
Does the V have an external (other than the radiator cooling the fluid) tranny fluid cooler?

Good question, I am curious as well. I hope someone knows the answer because I'm too lazy to crawl under the car.

GMX322V S/C
09-16-10, 03:26 AM
Yes, the V has a trans cooler...

baabootoo
09-17-10, 03:41 PM
After reading the specs on Dexron VI, I won't even think about it until I see 300 F under power for any length of time.

jwa999
09-17-10, 04:02 PM
Even when my tranny's 5th gear was locked up and it would burn up the clutches did my tranny temps only go up to around 200.
I had to stay in 4th to drive to the dealer. 5th gear would (violently) stop the car.
When I drive it aggressively in 110 degree weather here in TX it might a little over 200. Otherwise it drops down to 170-180.