: Drill for studs with engine in the car

Slipgate
09-13-10, 05:32 PM
I just watched 2 videos on youtube where the guy drilled out the heads for the studs. He did the front and the rear head!

It looks like there is a TON of space to do this. He used one of those angled drills for more clearance. I see no issue at all with this method. Why would you want to go through the BS of removing the engine when this repair can be done in car?

Can someone answer this for me?

zonie77
09-13-10, 07:01 PM
Have you tried doing it in the car?

I think we've only had one guy (Bigtony?) that said "not too bad" every other response was way worse and a lot of people gave up because it is a pain in the A$$. I have no intention of ever doing one in the car.

If you do it please document it with pictures and tips.

Ranger
09-13-10, 09:43 PM
Might get away with it using inserts and head bolts, but you'll never get the rear head installed over the studs.

Slipgate
09-14-10, 08:29 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to install the rear head first and then install the studs? You could put them in the head, position the head, and then screw them in.

ponyboyt
09-14-10, 10:19 AM
im obviously not the first to wonder about this, and also not the first to want to try it. I've also wondered about having the studs sit in the heads as you install the heads. I dont have any cars right now that need the job done.... but i will :) Gonna have to check out those youtube video's....

Slipgate
09-14-10, 11:11 AM
lol - yeah all I need is one more person to tell me it "can't be done" to seal the deal and I'll do it in the car just to prove it can. What's the worst case? I take the engine out the bottom at some point? I still have to remove the same top end components to drill for the studs in or out.

Ranger
09-14-10, 12:41 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to install the rear head first and then install the studs? You could put them in the head, position the head, and then screw them in.

I've thought about that. Not sure how you'd keep them in the head. Duct tape around each one might work.

If you attempt it and are successful, consider some pics and a write up for the Tech Tips section.

Actually I think it CAN and HAS been done in the car (inserts, not studs for the HAS been done part), but general consensus is that it is easier to drop the drivetrain.

KHE
09-14-10, 01:39 PM
There are bolts and braces that are in awkward angles that by the time you have both heads off and the water crossover, you are 20-30 minutes from removing the block anyway. The brace/shield that goes from the trans up through the rear exhaust manifold to the rear head is a royal SOB to install.

zonie77
09-15-10, 02:03 AM
lol - yeah all I need is one more person to tell me it "can't be done" to seal the deal and I'll do it in the car just to prove it can. What's the worst case? I take the engine out the bottom at some point? I still have to remove the same top end components to drill for the studs in or out.

I didn't see anyone say "it can't be done", just that's a hard way to do it. I even told you who did it. There was another person who used to be on the board that did it in the car ( old guru ) once, he didn't intend to do another that way. I think there is another person on the board that does them in the car, Mike Lawson I think.

Like I said, if you do it in the car document it and take as many pics as you can.

mnalep
10-26-10, 04:39 PM
Slipgate...CAN'T be done!

OK, I said it, now prove tha statement wrong. Actually I really wish you would prove that statement wrong!

I am now in the position of needing a head gasket replaced. Mine is a 97 Aurora, which might be even tighter under the hood than a caddy? If I thought I could do it in the car, I'd probably already be starting the job. I don't have equipment to drop engine, and the idea frankly scares me. I even think maybe I can get the engine out - but will I ever get it back in!

vincentm
10-26-10, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6956YYLd8PU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6956YYLd8PU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfcE69cikk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfcE69cikk&feature=related

?

Looks like one bank in each vid..

Ranger
10-26-10, 10:26 PM
Anyone else notice that he tapped the hole dry (without any lube)? Also he never stopped and reversed to break the chips. I've never tapped threads without doing either. Is it just me or did he do it wrong?

zonie77
10-26-10, 11:48 PM
Anyone else notice that he tapped the hole dry (without any lube)? Also he never stopped and reversed to break the chips. I've never tapped threads without doing either. Is it just me or did he do it wrong?

Not just you!

Looks like the front in both videos.

drewsdeville
10-27-10, 11:48 AM
Not just you!

Looks like the front in both videos.

???

No, the first video is the rear, second video is the front. In the first video, you can clearly see the steering rack and the firewall. Besides, the starter is on the wrong side in the first video for it to be the front bank.

mnalep
10-27-10, 02:54 PM
Looks like top is the back bank and bottom is the front bank to me. Both look they are shot from the drivers side. You can see the dip stick in the bottom video about half through the movie. Then notice the round thing that is to the right of the starter motor in both videos. Not sure what it is, but it looks like a tube is screwed onto that cylinder shaped thing, and it is to the right on both videos, and each video has the bank at opposite 45degree angles. has to be back and front - I believe.

What I'd like to see is the heads coming off, and going back on, with the bolts in the read head.

mnalep
10-27-10, 02:57 PM
oops, duplicate