: New member-somewhat common question

CaddyKid91
09-13-10, 03:14 PM
I'll do a quick intro to explain my situation. I recently (about 2 months) bought a 1996 Eldorado Touring Coupe. I needed a reliable car to get me to school, and something fun as well, and fell in love with this car. Especially because of the v8.

Anyways, I needed to replace the mufflers, so I put on a set of Edlebrocks for a little sound.

So at my college there is a club that goes on cruises. I decided to join for them this past weekend. All along my car had been puffing some 'sooty colored' smoke as was described to me, whenever I would get back into the throttle after going down a hill for instance. That didn't worry me too much.

But after we had pulled off to take a quick 5 minute break, we pulled back onto the road. Car were coming and I jumped into it kind of hard.

If it wasn't WOT, it was pretty close. I looked up at my rear view mirror after it shifted to see where the group was and saw a large cloud of smoke. I was praying that it was dust from the gravel, but everybody behind me said it was grayish and smelled like oil.

What could have caused this?? The car only has around 55k on it and was previously driven by the stereo-typical little old lady.

I have heard that this may have been just carbon build up. It has never done this to me before. And would doing more WOT help this?

I know this is a somewhat long post and I apologize. I have read throught NUMEROUS old threads and read the tech articles too.

Please help!!

~Anthony

Submariner409
09-13-10, 03:33 PM
Welcome Aboard !!!! :thumbsup:

Please go up in the top black bar and read the whole Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine".

Nothing's wrong - poor car just needs some care and spirited driving: Northstars were born to RUN, and they are subject to "cold carbon rap" from pokey driving.

Do a search for Fuel Pressure Regulator - that widget which controls injector fuel supply pressure - a ruptured diaphragm will cause rich running mixtures and hard hot starts.

Run your car's VIN through the sticky thread ^^^ "VIN to RPO converter" to find out the options in your car.

Get a real Helm/GM Factory manual off eBay or from www.helminc.com. For instant gratification subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com.

You should get about 24 - 26 mpg on the highway and 13 - 17 in town. Next fillup, run a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON through the gas tank, DO NOT pour other potions or snake oil into the gas or engine or oil: DO NOT. So-called CAI filters aren't - the car already has a perfectly adequate CAI right from the factory. Just use a good name brand of pleated paper air filter. Run the recommended 10W-30 oil in whatever type floats your boat. I prefer WIX oil filters.

Ranger
09-13-10, 04:11 PM
The Northstar is a masochistic engine. It loves and needs to be beat on. Take her out and give her a good whoop'in. Drive it like you stole it.

94CaddyConcours
09-15-10, 03:26 AM
Welcome Aboard !!!! :thumbsup:

Run your car's VIN through the sticky thread ^^^ "VIN to RPO converter" to find out the options in your car.

I tried searching for "VIN to RPO converter" and couldn't find it

Submariner409
09-15-10, 08:16 AM
I tried searching for "VIN to RPO converter" and couldn't find it

Go to the top 8 or 9 threads - the "stickys" on the page of threads for Seville or Deville.

johnny kannapo
09-15-10, 01:25 PM
It's possible that oil has accumulated & puddled in the bottom of the intake and the forward acceration dumped/sucked it directly in to the rear head ports. It would be possible for this to happen under heavy braking the only difference being the throttle is closed into the front head ports.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/100_1143-1.jpg

CaddyKid91
09-17-10, 11:32 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I fully intend to do some more WOT runs with it. I just have alway been hesitant to do so. I'm not used to having a vehicle that loves RPM's that high and be an V8. Something I'm not used to. I am used to small block chevys where 4500-5k is at the point where the motor is screaming :) Also, I have be hesitant to push this engine since of the 4 cars I own, this is the only driveable one at the moment, and being a college kid, I have no money for repairs at this point. But now that you guys have reassured me that it will handle it, I am anxious to get back to my homestate where we have tons of 'desolate' highways.

I do intend to do a fuel pressure regualtor. It's on a list of things I want to go through and check/replace on the car soon, just because I don't know its maintenance history.

oil has accumulated & puddled in the bottom of the intake and the forward acceration dumped/sucked it directly in to the rear head ports

I'm not sure exactly the details of how that happens, but that does sound like it could be a probable cause among other things. We did have to stop pretty quick because the pulloff came up pretty quick, so yeah, I did have to get on the binders pretty quick.

Again, thank you guys for the warm welcome. It means a lot to me (especially because there are not a lot of 19 year olds driving Caddys; around here they tend to drive Hondas and Subies)

~Anthony

Ranger
09-17-10, 04:56 PM
CHECK the FPR. Don't bother changing it unless it is leaking. Your statement leads me to believe you plan on changing it just for the hell of it.

Submariner409
09-17-10, 06:27 PM
It's possible that oil has accumulated & puddled in the bottom of the intake and the forward acceration dumped/sucked it directly in to the rear head ports. It would be possible for this to happen under heavy braking the only difference being the throttle is closed into the front head ports.

The entire lower half of the intake manifold is a distribution log which feeds individual 10" runners which loop up and over: the rear ports are fed from the front of the manifold - unless there was a quart of oil in the base of the manifold it would be physically impossible to slosh oil into an intake runner.

These pics are of a 2002 manifold, but the runner tuning principle and application is the same................take a hard look and figure out where the runner actually begins. The upside down pic - intake silicone seals - shows the main distribution log in the base of the manifold.

CaddyKid91
09-17-10, 07:50 PM
Your statement leads me to believe you plan on changing it just for the hell of it. I have been working on cars all of my life. I don't do anything 'just for the hell of it.' If you continue to read what I wrote you would see:
It's on a list of things I want to go through and check/replace on the car I joined this forum for advice not criticism.

Ranger
09-17-10, 08:49 PM
No one here knows how long you have been working on cars or what your experience is, especially with a name like Caddy "Kid". Don't be so thin skinned. That WAS advice and never intended as criticism.

Submariner409
09-18-10, 10:41 AM
I joined this forum for advice not criticism.

If you can't take criticism along with sound advice, then my advice is to get out of here now. Most members - particularly in Seville, Deville, and Northstar - upon reading that your course of action is ill-advised or flat wrong: You're going to know it immediately.

You came here looking for guidance and you got it - and if you come up with something like "I'm gonna Seafoam it" or "I'm gonna put it on 24's" then, as Ranger opined, you better develop thick hide.

If you've been working on cars "all your life" and are 19, that gives you 4.5 years. Some of us started as part-time grease monkeys when we were 14, after school. Do the math.

RippyPartsDept
09-18-10, 11:40 AM
:welcome: let me know if you need any parts, i offer deals to site members

tateos
09-21-10, 04:05 PM
I have been working on cars all of my life. I don't do anything 'just for the hell of it.' If you continue to read what I wrote you would see: I joined this forum for advice not criticism.

Yeah - Ranger is as nice of a guy as you're going to find around here - Sub can get crotchety sometimes, but we allow him some of that, due to his long tenure and advanced age; they're both excellent contributors with a lot of good info to share. If you don't like the way Ranger and Sub responded to you, then they're correct to say that you probably won't like it around here...unless you have your period, in which case we will cut YOU some slack in this case.

And BTW, I just changed my FPR recently, but only because it was leaking and causing hot soak start problems, and it was about $50.

Submariner409
09-21-10, 06:04 PM
:mad2: Crotchety ??? Who ? Me ? Meek, mild-mannered, level headed. The epitome of discretion. :annoyed: What an incorrect assumption - .............excuse me; I need to go kick my wife's butt for ironing my handkerchiefs the wrong way.

RippyPartsDept
09-21-10, 06:29 PM
:histeric:

maeng9981
09-21-10, 11:06 PM
Hey! oh wait first :welcome:

I've been here only for a year and a half but I got a lot of help from numerous forum members -- especially from Ranger and Submariner.
They know what they are talking and they give you a $$$$$$$$$$$ worth of information you could ever find. I thank and respect them every time even though I don't know them in person.