: Thumping noise from rear

johnl327
09-13-10, 02:12 AM
does anyone have a thumping noise when going over bumps from the rear,I have tried putting in different tire pressures but that did not help it is most annoying also for a cadillac the ride is very rough this is a awd performance vehicle,

algiorda
09-13-10, 09:21 AM
I do, at times; like going over railroad tracks.

Have you actually layed down underneath the rear of the X?? I have never seen a more complex rear on any car I've owned. It looks like the gas tank is in the middle of the vehicle with tanks running from door-to-door on each side of the driveshaft. At least that's what I think it is. The muffler is under the rear storage unit close to the rear bumper.

The exhaust system is fully suspended and moves about 3-4 inches laterally, so I'm attributing this noise to that fact.

embassy
09-14-10, 03:07 AM
Taking my vehicle in for some work again tomorrow. Have an internal annoying creak/squeak that they fixed for about 30 miles and then started up again. In addition I now have a thumping noise that has started coming from the rear. I don't hear it as much going over bumps as I do when stopping and starting the vehicle. It just started tonight and my wife who usually doesn't hear noises in vehicles asked me what that thump is. Pulling into a parking spot tonight I heard two thumps, one as I turned to get into the spot and one as I came to a spot. I have a very tight garage to back into and sometimes it takes two or three tries as I only have about 2 inches on each side of the mirrors. Tonight I kept hearing the thump as I moved forward and backward. Am going to have this looked at as well tomorrow.

I know that there have been other posts on here regarding a thumping noise. Most of them seemed to be related to strut issues. I think that there also was an issue with gas sloshing back and forth in the tank and causing a noise, but the thumping that I am hearing doesn't seem to be either of those.

GMJim
09-14-10, 12:07 PM
for a cadillac the ride is very rough

For God's sake, its a SUV!
It ain't gunna ride like a Sedan DeVille.

Does an Enclave ride like a Park Avenue?
They are both a Buick.

johnl327
09-14-10, 10:10 PM
For God's sake, its a SUV!
It ain't gunna ride like a Sedan DeVille.

Does an Enclave ride like a Park Avenue?
They are both a Buick.

I know it's an suv but after paying $46000.00 I would exoect a better ride if I wanted to I could have bought a jeep for a lot less and more trouble free this vehicle has been at the dealer for repairs for about 8 weeks total on and off since march.
,and now it's going back in monday .Before I had a 2008 ford edge and never brought in for anything also it rode smoother.

GMJim
09-15-10, 07:25 AM
I know it's an suv but after paying $46000.00 I would exoect a better ride

Sorry you have had so much trouble.
Price does not equal ride.
A $70,000 Escalade will still ride like a SUV.

kwd
09-15-10, 09:50 AM
At the end of the day, what is being described is much like my new issue. The thumping noise was not there when I purchased it. This began over time. Also, I had the thumping on the front end too. That was just repaired 3 weeks ago. It sounded like a rubber mallot hitting the floor board, and it was louder than my radio (Not easy listening music or talk radio either). Cadillac has some real issues with the suspension of the 2010 SRX. They need to make things right!!!

stevec5375
09-15-10, 10:39 AM
At the end of the day, what is being described is much like my new issue. The thumping noise was not there when I purchased it. This began over time. Also, I had the thumping on the front end too. That was just repaired 3 weeks ago. It sounded like a rubber mallot hitting the floor board, and it was louder than my radio (Not easy listening music or talk radio either). Cadillac has some real issues with the suspension of the 2010 SRX. They need to make things right!!!

If I've learned one thing from this purchase, I will NEVER again buy a new car that is a new design or redesign like the SRX. I'm tired of debugging them.

kwd
09-15-10, 10:49 AM
If I've learned one thing from this purchase, I will NEVER again buy a new car that is a new design or redesign like the SRX. I'm tired of debugging them.

Agreed!

algiorda
09-15-10, 11:58 AM
It sux that you have to go through this. How long after purchasing your X's did these issues start developing?

I personally think my X rides excellent and I haven't had the thumping noise....YET. So obviously there is a correlation between the thumping and ride performance.

embassy
09-16-10, 01:27 AM
Just got my vehicle back from the dealer for the 5th time (or maybe the 6th now - starting to lose track). For my SRX the rear thumping noise does not happen going over bumps or rough road, only when braking from about 50kph (30mph), sharp cornering at a slower speed like turning into a parking spot, or backing into and out of my garage.

Tech did a road test and heard the thumping noise but thought that it might be coming from the front as well. He examined the struts and suspension and couldn't find anything. He then went for a ride with the service adviser and they determined that it was definitely coming from the rear. They then came up with Bulletin PIT4927A and said that it was coming from fuel in the gas tank. I was told that the sound will be most prominent with fuel levels between 1/2 and 3/4. My work order states "No fix currently available". Service adviser said that it is currently being investigated by engineering and when there is a fix they will let me know. The bulletin specifically states that no repairs are to be attempted. On the way home I filled up the tank and no noise. Will see if the noise returns around the 3/4 level again.

See also thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/188418-gas-tank-noise.html

It is interesting to note that I don't hear any sloshing sound - just a thumping noise.

embassy
09-16-10, 01:32 AM

I bought a 98 olds intrigue which was another first year vehicle and went through considerable debugging issues. They were even fixing stuff under recalls 5 years later. Kept it until I bought my 04 CTS and never had any problems with the CTS. Swore I would never buy a first year model again - guess I didn't learn.

Smokin' SRX
09-17-10, 12:31 AM
wow...........lotsa good info here.................

first, the gas does "thump" at 1/2 to 3/4 full! Fill that tank! LOL

next, 20" tires DO give a harsh ride at times. I almost didn't buy after a test drive. The 18" are far softer, but the Performance/Premium models give no choice. Decided to run at 33 PSI cold for just my wife and I, around town, (instead of 35 PSI ). But with 4 passengers on long, high speed ride, I go 35 PSI as recco, and put up w/ minor stiff ride, on certain roads, to get the sled I love to look at. DO NOT run high speed, many miles w/ lesser tire pressure/more load! Blowouts may result!

Ya gotta test drive folks :yup: It is what it is.........

SS

embassy
09-17-10, 03:26 PM
Just to confirm my tests this week. Filled up the tank and no more thumping noises. Got down to 3/4 tank and it was thumping away while cornering into parking spots, backing into and out of the garage etc. A slight thumping noise was still evident at just below 1/2 tank, but was completely gone by the time I have hit 3/8 tank.

stevec5375
09-17-10, 04:45 PM
When I get to work in the morning, I back into a "safe" parking space. If I slightly hit the rear tires against the concrete stop, I hear the gas thumping around as well.

I get the impression that the test people for the SRX were all hard of hearing.

embassy
09-17-10, 07:43 PM

:):):)

Talking about test driving vehicles - I test drove 4 SRXs from different dealers before I made my purchase. Was wondering why I didn't hear the noise. Thinking back to it, all the vehicles had less than 1/4 tank of gas in them. I don't hear the noise with that level in mine.

Smokin' SRX
09-18-10, 02:15 PM
When I get to work in the morning, I back into a "safe" parking space. If I slightly hit the rear tires against the concrete stop, I hear the gas thumping around as well.

Right on stevec5375. It's not the end of the world, but a few interior tank baffles woulda resolved it. My neighbors Infinity makes the most God-awful muffle drone as he drives away that I imagine the same guys were fired from Infinity and designed/tested the SRX gas tank! :cookoo: 2 nice marques..... Makes us wonder..............

SS

GMJim
09-18-10, 05:59 PM
Personally, I enjoy the Bose system. I kind of forces you to listen to
something enjoyable. Try it.

Smokin' SRX
09-18-10, 07:18 PM
Personally, I enjoy the Bose system. I kind of forces you to listen to
something enjoyable. Try it.

Very true Jim. Now I'm trying to get the thumping gas tank to play the drums to the Bose radio! LOL :dance:

JohnTN47
10-13-10, 12:23 PM
We have had our 2011 SRX Performance Pkg car for just over 2 weeks now. I took it back to our dealer after one week for the thumping sound which I think is coming from the LR. The gas tank is mid-ship, right of center. Of course, at the dealer, the technician and I took the car for a test ride and could not hear the sound. But we still have the sound now that the car is back home. I have heard it even with the car engine just starting, no forward motion. The exhaust system seems to be amply suspended with rubber bushings. I have a hard time believing the gas tank theory (the dealership did not mention that service bulletin) but I am noting the gas tank levels when I hear the noise now. We had the thumping noise at 3/4 - 7/8 tank, will continue to monitor this.

embassy
10-15-10, 02:42 AM
Of course, at the dealer, the technician and I took the car for a test ride and could not hear the sound. But we still have the sound now that the car is back home.

Yep, have had that happen to me frequently. Drive away from the dealer and the problem happens right away.

JohnTN47
10-17-10, 01:58 PM
Update: We filled the gas tank up the other day, and immediately had the thumping noise. I have discussed this issue with my service advisor, telling him about the service bulletin. He said that service bulletin was for only the 2010 AWD models. We do not have the AWD, and we have a 2011, so according to him, the SB is not applicable to our vehicle. He knows of some bumpy streets near the dealership, so I plan to schedule another appt, driving over the bumpy streets both before and hopefully after the thumping noise has been eliminated.

JohnTN47
11-11-10, 10:29 AM
Another, and I think the last update! I had realized that the thumping noise occurred only after filling the gas tank to full. Then thumping happened until the tank was down to about 3/4. I concluded the noise was related to the gas tank, or the lines going to or from the tank. I took our SRX back to our dealer two days ago for the 3rd time on this problem. And we did solve the problem this time! The plastic gas tank is like a saddle tank in that it has portions on each side of the center driveline (on 4WD models) area. There is a galvanized metal "skid plate" below each side of the tank. The noise was found on the left side when we would hit the RR wheel firmly while up on the rack. We took the tank strap on the left side down, supporting the tank with a jack stand. Then we put some rubber pads up between the top of the tank and the body. Solved the problem! We ended up with 4 foam rubber pads about 15mm thick between the tank and body floor. The service manager told me that there used to be insulation pads in that area, but they must have been eliminated (to save money). A raddle like this can't be detected at the assembly plant due to their putting only 3 - 4 gallons of gas in the vehicle.

stevec5375
11-11-10, 03:02 PM
Another, and I think the last update! I had realized that the thumping noise occurred only after filling the gas tank to full. Then thumping happened until the tank was down to about 3/4. I concluded the noise was related to the gas tank, or the lines going to or from the tank. I took our SRX back to our dealer two days ago for the 3rd time on this problem. And we did solve the problem this time! The plastic gas tank is like a saddle tank in that it has portions on each side of the center driveline (on 4WD models) area. There is a galvanized metal "skid plate" below each side of the tank. The noise was found on the left side when we would hit the RR wheel firmly while up on the rack. We took the tank strap on the left side down, supporting the tank with a jack stand. Then we put some rubber pads up between the top of the tank and the body. Solved the problem! We ended up with 4 foam rubber pads about 15mm thick between the tank and body floor. The service manager told me that there used to be insulation pads in that area, but they must have been eliminated (to save money). A raddle like this can't be detected at the assembly plant due to their putting only 3 - 4 gallons of gas in the vehicle.

This is penny-wise and pound-foolish. The cost of the warranty work to fix this will far exceed the cost of a few pads that would have prevented it in the first place. Please!!

Now the BIG question is "Will this get communicated to all the GM dealers so that other poor souls won't have to go though this same debugging process?"

SWATBOY
12-16-10, 01:04 PM
does anyone have a thumping noise when going over bumps from the rear,I have tried putting in different tire pressures but that did not help it is most annoying also for a cadillac the ride is very rough this is a awd performance vehicle,

Yes. My dealer thinks he found the problem in the left rear defective shock. It will be replaced tomorrow.

Vlvr
09-11-14, 10:40 PM
Removed and posted in Deville forums....