: How was the weather in your area this summer?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-10, 11:56 AM
It's been a weird summer for us up here in Minnesota. Usually our summers are warm, fairly dry and long. Summer weather usually starts in early June, and ends mid September. Highs are generally in the mid-high 80s, and we get good storms, but usually it'll storm once a week or so. Anyways, this has been a weird summer up here because it got really hot late in May, and then all the way through June and July and into August, temps were consistently in the low-mid '90s, and humid too! We got a scourge of tornados in mid June (17 in one day), but we saw a lot of heavy, severe thunderstorms this entire summer. I don't remember any summer in which I heard the civil defense sirens set off so frequently.

Now, it's September and it's much, much cooler. I don't think we've seen a high of 80* this entire month, and we've seen a few days when it's rainy and won't break 60* out. It sure is odd.

How about you? How's it in your area? Anything abnormal?

Florian
09-12-10, 12:01 PM
fantastic....2 weeks of 90s, the rest was high 70s-mid 80s.....abosolutely perfect.

F

Night Wolf
09-12-10, 12:02 PM
Basically every day with a heat index of 105-115+

Now it is cooled off a bit. The heat index is around 95-105.

Jesda
09-12-10, 12:17 PM
Obnoxiously hot.

RippyPartsDept
09-12-10, 12:18 PM
we had a really hot spring/early summer - rest of summer was normal (high 80s, low 90s with some high 90s) - humidity is just starting to get down to bearable now and after hurricane season is over we'll have a better idea of how 'normal' this year has been

Stingroo
09-12-10, 12:59 PM
This year it was (read: still is) hotter than all hell. As far as 2010 goes, I can't remember the last time we had a heat index below 100.

orconn
09-12-10, 01:12 PM
Around here in Central Virginia they are saying this was the hottest Summer on record with many (too many for me) record breaking days. We had weeks when it never dropped below 90 during the day and was plenty hot at night. The weather here is what gave the South such a reputation for "hot, humid and down right miserable in the Summer." Thank God for air conditioning! It all made me a believer in the annual treck to Maine for July and August!

It has moderated this week, but the temps are still way higher than normal and they have declared water restriction in Chesterfield County and several other counties in the region.

Truth be told, Summer is never that great here in eastern Virginia .... but the long and beautiful Falls and Springs make up for Summer!

Submariner409
09-12-10, 01:47 PM
All in all eastern MD was not bad - some hot, humid days in July and early August - I keep graphs of our electrical use and those 2 months were in the 3 lowest kWh consumption bracket for the 23 years we've been in this home - which basically means that the A/C (heat pump) was not cycling very much, and there were two weeks in each month where it was turned off, windows open 24/7. Only a couple of impressive thunder storms: just east of the Bay leads to some real screamers from the NW..........but generally a dry summer - some corn crops suffered heavily, and the melons aren't as sweet and heavy as normal.

iowasevillests
09-12-10, 02:38 PM
Way to flippin wet. Greatly above average rainfall, didn't look twice when had to dump 3+ inches out of the gauge multiple times in a single week, large amount of localized flooding around the rivers and cities built on low spots. Roughly 2 weeks of heat index in the 110-120 range(actual temp in the mid 90's), rest of it hasn't been too bad.

hueterm
09-12-10, 03:22 PM
Obnoxiously hot.

Yeah, that ^^^ and VERY dry...

gdwriter
09-12-10, 04:33 PM
I've had the opposite problem compared to most of the country. We had a cold, wet spring (at my office, we were calling it Mayvember) that lasted all the way through June. The only good thing about that is I had to replace the air conditioner in my house, and I got it installed before summer finally arrived. We'll usually get a week or two in the 90s, but it's mostly 70s and 80s and dry. I love summer in Oregon.

Unfortunately, it looks like our summer is going to end as early as it arrived late. We had two cold, rainy days at the end of August, along with rain three days this past week. This weekend has been beautiful, however, so I'm going to take advantage of it and get in a round of golf while I still can.

ga_etc
09-12-10, 04:47 PM
HOT and dry here. Luckily it rained most of yesterday here so today seems to be quite nice. I should get some cleaning done on the car while I can, but I have homework to do too. I am very much looking forward to fall. Fall around the mountains is almost always awesome. I'm looking forward to the leaves changing color and temps in the 60s for a high.

RightTurn
09-12-10, 05:57 PM
Hotter 'n a mofo. :coffee:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-10, 06:39 PM
They're predicting tremendous amounts of snowfall this winter, which I don't like, BUT, that means that it won't get super, super cold (-20*)

Submariner409
09-13-10, 04:01 PM
They're predicting tremendous amounts of snowfall this winter, which I don't like, BUT, that means that it won't get super, super cold (-20*)

.............bite your tongue. We just finished splitting and stacking the stuff broken by last Jan/Feb snow - need a winter off.................

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-13-10, 07:14 PM
I hope so. I hate snowstorms.

orconn
09-13-10, 08:54 PM
We seem to go in cycles of one year in seven for heavy snow fall, last year was way above average here in Central Virginia so I would expect we return to a pattern of fewer days when it snows. Since I've lived in the Richmond area are (6 years), last year was the only really snowy Winter. Even in Northern Virginia it is not common to get more than one or two snow storms per year. Usually the snow is what I call "Camellot Snow" which comes at night and is gone by ten in the morning!

ben.gators
09-13-10, 10:04 PM
I live in Arizona, and what more can I say! :(

93DevilleUSMC
09-13-10, 10:33 PM
It was a sweat-soaked, humid, hot hell that made me finally get my A/C compressor in the Deville repaired.

The-Dullahan
09-14-10, 12:25 AM
Florida is Humid, but I lice in a part where we are mostly free from that. West Palm was horrifically sticky. It's always hot, but I don't feel it. The problem with weather in the south is all that sunlight. I think the entire state would go blind by now. I miss my snow and blizzards up north and actually having different seasons. The truly puzzling thing about Florida is that I swear I've heard people say it is cold out, but these same people have obviously never seen the Northeast.

RippyPartsDept
09-14-10, 12:50 AM
we almost never get snow... probably seen snow in the air less than 15 times in 8 years and on the ground only 5 times in 8 years

77CDV
09-14-10, 01:02 AM
It was an unusually mild summer here in SoCal. A week or two of normal heat here and there, and the odd week of high humidity, but mostly it's been the Summer than never was, and it's already feeling very Fall-like. Usually around now we're getting the last burst of Summer heat before a month of cool down and an final Indian summer in late October/early November. Then the rains usually start. I'm thinking we're in for a cold, wet winter here.

orconn
09-14-10, 01:06 AM
It was an unusually mild summer here in SoCal. A week or two of normal heat here and there, and the odd week of high humidity, but mostly it's been the Summer than never was, and it's already feeling very Fall-like. Usually around now we're getting the last burst of Summer heat before a month of cool down and an final Indian summer in late October/early November. Then the rains usually start. I'm thinking we're in for a cold, wet winter here.

Do you get the Santana (Santa Ana) Winds north of the city? Ofcourse L.A. always has those winds to look forward to in the Fall, those can be pretty miserable when they blow.

77CDV
09-14-10, 01:10 AM
Oh yes. Not so much this summer, hence our very quiet fire season. Mostly an onshore flow this year, with unseasonable morning fog inland and cool overnight temps.

gdwriter
09-14-10, 02:36 AM
Hotter 'n a mofo. :coffee:Pretty much SOP for Houston. Or worse than usual?

RightTurn
09-14-10, 03:49 AM
Pretty much SOP for Houston. Or worse than usual?

Nah; just about the same as always.