: fuel filter location 1970 deville 472cc

DaGriff
09-11-10, 08:30 PM
hey there,
can anyone help me out? i'm looking for the location of the fuel filter on a 1970 cadillac deville 472. is it in the fuel pump? is it in the carb?

when i take the inlet hose and nut of the carb i find a brass "element" or screen. is that it? it does not match the size or the look of the filter the auto stores are selling me.

help! thanks

mcdave71
09-12-10, 11:58 AM
Screws into the bottom of the fuel pump. You'll see where when you see the bottom of the pump.

DaGriff
09-12-10, 01:26 PM
thanks i'll check it out.

DaGriff
09-12-10, 04:26 PM
nope. took my fuel pump completely off and there is no fuel filter on or in the pump. what about the screen i'm finding in the carb inlet. think that is it?

DaGriff
09-12-10, 04:27 PM
and...you think i should just put an after market inline filter for safe measure??

Angry Matt
09-12-10, 04:57 PM
There's a stone filter in the front of the carb where the fuel line connects. Use a line wrench to get the fuel line off if possible, the nuts tend to round off easy, and you'll need a 1" wrench to get the large nut off, that's what hold the filter in. Later years used a screen type filter that was a little longer.

DaGriff
09-14-10, 10:00 PM
thanks for the info.

cadillac_al
09-15-10, 07:21 AM
Screws into the bottom of the fuel pump. You'll see where when you see the bottom of the pump.

Where did that bogus info come from? I thought it sounded strange when I first heard it. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to change the fuel pump while it was off. They are pretty cheap anyway.

creeker
09-16-10, 11:25 PM
Look it up on rockauto.com,you will see an exact picture of the filter.

daniel58
09-19-10, 11:34 PM
If you are having problems with fuel flow, there may be a pickup sock on the pickup in the tank. Not sure about the 70 but 77 had this and it will cause mysterous stalling problems if clogged.

DaGriff
09-20-10, 10:06 PM
thanks for that info

creeker
09-20-10, 10:28 PM
thanks for that info

Did you find the picture of the filter at rock auto?.

DaGriff
09-21-10, 05:59 PM
yes i did. that filter does not fit my car though. tried it. thanks

hardley-etc
12-10-10, 12:59 PM
on my 1969 eldo
the OEM manual says the fuel filter resides on the top of the mechanical fuel pump
the in line part up by the carb is called a strainer
rock auto does not list such a part as they confuse fuel strainer with fuel filter
has anyone actually taken the fuel pump apart and looked

intragration
12-13-10, 06:51 PM
"Bogus info...." ??? The factory service manual shows the fuel filter inside of the fuel pump on a 1970 472. I looked at my 1970 472, and it's exactly the same thing they show in the factory service manual. So here's one vote for "inside the fuel pump".

hardley-etc
12-20-10, 01:11 PM
ok well meant in the fuel pump

here is a pic you can see it. had to down size the picture i took of the manual page, but can still make it out.

took other pictures of the manual for the members but posting requires me to down size so much the words are not too readable.

Kevin Preston
02-05-12, 05:03 PM
I just did this exact procedure on my 1969 Fleetwood. This is after (since I just did my 1970 Corvette) unbolting the A/C compressor, removing belts, removing hoses, etc, to get at my carb fuel inlet, getting that off, and discovering.....oh oh, there is no filter in there. In fact, there is not even ROOM for the length of the replacement filter, if I had bothered to look. Oh well, those hoses were dry and rotted, so maybe that 1 hour of work wasn't wasted....

Anyhow, yes, the filter is INSIDE the fuel pump. It is right behind the fuel outlet (steel) pipe. In fact, it's a similar arrangement to the carb-based filters. This is what you do.

Get a drain pan on the ready. Take a 1/2" flare nut wrench, and carefully remove the flare on the steel fuel line. It goes into a larger fitting that screws into the pump. You should have enough clearance with a standard flare wrench to do this.

Unscrew, and carefully move the pipe out of the way without stressing or bending it. Now, take a 1/2" drive 1 1/4" socket, put it on a 5-6" extension, and a ratchet. (Don't be a dufus and try to use a crescent wrench or pliers). Making sure you are not on any kind of an angle (where you might strip the very thin fitting head) get that socket onto the fitting, and loosen it. 5" extension should give you enough clearance to do this. It may be VERY tight. Mine came off with such a SNAP I thought I broke something. Have your pan ready, as there will be a gush of fuel as the pump is fairly large. CAREFULLY take off the fitting. There should be a gasket (ring) and a spring on the far side of the paper filter. My spring actually stayed up inside the pump, I could feel it with my finger, but left it as is. Yours may shoot out, so watch for it.

The filter has a hole on one end. Notice it is the end that goes towards the filter. Install it backwards, and no fuel will come out of the bottom of the pump and into the steel fuel line. Push it in against the spring, you should feel a little resistance.

Screw the fitting back in, making sure your gasket is there and clean (and make sure you have cleaned the fitting as well) and snug the fitting down. Then screw your line in and tighten--not too tight, with your flare wrench.

Start up and check for leaks. Drive it around, check for leaks again.

If you are still fairly flexible, you can do the above procedure without jacking the front end up. If you have lowered your Cadillac, all bets off on that point.

ELCad1970
10-11-12, 08:58 PM
I did this today. The rubber gasket that holds the filter in place inside the fuel pump disintegrated. No one had a replacement gasket so I ended up getting a new fuel pump. It was fairly cheap. Now it is time to replace all the hoses that go into the fuel pump.

The Ape Man
10-14-12, 10:24 AM
472cc??

How about 8200cc.

:)

steelybill
10-21-12, 11:34 PM
One of my manuals states that the filter is an "integral part of the fuel pump, and should be changed each 12,000 miles" I haven't seen one myself in that year area, so it's just what I read.