: Where has my coolant gone ?

Wicho
09-11-04, 11:33 PM
For the past week my coolant has been going down. I am not sure if it is leaking because I put a cardboard box under the car and didn't see anything. Could it have been that after I flushed the radiator that an air pocket got stuck and that just recently it escaped and now the coolant has replaced that air pocket space ? Also, does anyone know of a good caddy dealer in south Florida ? Braman caddy charged me $27x.xx to replace my FPR. I don't know if that sounds right but just in case I would like to know of another dealership. Thanks

Ralph
09-11-04, 11:38 PM
Are you using the recommended GM supplemental sealing tablets? I believe Barrs Leaks is a very similar product. Barsleaks Gold if I'm not mistaken.

I noticed this too when we changed the coolant in my 4.9, but as soon as I mixed the tablets, no level drop.

Ranger
09-12-04, 01:22 AM
If you are talking about a Northstar it is self purging so there should be no air pockets. Pull the vent line at the surge tank and it should have coolant running, therefore not air locked. If not, trace it back and clear the blockage.

kcnewell
09-12-04, 01:32 AM
If it only went down the one time since the cooling system was refreshed I would suspect that you didn't get all the air out when refilling it after the coolant drain. It is common for it to drop a bit after refilling an empty system and then driving if you didn't get all the air out.

To fill properly, fill the system when cold thru the pressure cap fitting on the surge tank until the bottle is almost full to the cap. Start the engine and idle for a few minutes. Slowly rev the engine to about 3000 and return to idle. Do this several times. Top off the surge tank to about 1.5 inches from the cap fitting and put the cap on.

You should have installed the GM coolant supplement/sealer when the system was refreshed. Get the GM coolant supplement pellets or the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder in the clear tube. Install 6 pellets or two tubes of the sealant into one of the radiator hoses not the pressurized surge tank. This will protect against any nuisance leaks due to a porosity in a casting or an imperfect gasket seal. After removing a rad hose to install the coolant and reconnecting the hose, refill the system as described above to replace the lost coolant and then monitor the system by checking it when cold. If the coolant loss persists requiring more than 2 or 3 adds to top it off then start looking for the problem.

Wicho
09-12-04, 03:17 PM
I didn't put any pellets or anything else after refreshing the radiator. Where can I put the pellets or the powder ? Im thinking of my local dealer for the pellets and the powder at a pep boys or other auto store like that. Also, the coolant has gone down several times since the refreshing. I did the refresh maybe 3-4 months ago so I think that would be enough time to let any air pockets out. The coolant started to go down maybe 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

kcnewell
09-12-04, 03:21 PM
I didn't put any pellets or anything else after refreshing the radiator. Where can I put the pellets or the powder ? Im thinking of my local dealer for the pellets and the powder at a pep boys or other auto store like that. Also, the coolant has gone down several times since the refreshing. I did the refresh maybe 3-4 months ago so I think that would be enough time to let any air pockets out. The coolant started to go down maybe 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Any GM dealer will have the pellets. Walmart for some reason always seems to have the BarsLeaks powder.

Disconnect a radiator hose and put the stuff in the hose and then reconnect it.

Wicho
09-16-04, 01:36 PM
I just bought Bar's Leaks "Heavy Duty" Radiator stop leak at walmart. It comes in a clear tube and the liquid in it looks like motor oil. I can tell it contains some pellets that look like small rocks. I couldn't find the golden seal stuff but I guess this would do ? Anyone care to enlighten me on how to use this stuff ? It says to shake well and pour into radiator when engine is cool. 1/2 bottle for 4 cylinder engines full for 8. Fill radiator and overflow tank to proper level, replace cap and idel engine for 15-30 minutes. Any help would be appriciated.

dloch
09-16-04, 10:26 PM
I would recommend take the Heavy duty stuff back and get the powder. The powder does work. Do a search about this.

kcnewell
09-16-04, 10:36 PM
I just bought Bar's Leaks "Heavy Duty" Radiator stop leak at walmart. It comes in a clear tube and the liquid in it looks like motor oil. I can tell it contains some pellets that look like small rocks. I couldn't find the golden seal stuff but I guess this would do ? Anyone care to enlighten me on how to use this stuff ? It says to shake well and pour into radiator when engine is cool. 1/2 bottle for 4 cylinder engines full for 8. Fill radiator and overflow tank to proper level, replace cap and idel engine for 15-30 minutes. Any help would be appriciated.

Return the stuff with the brown liquid in it. That is NOT the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder. Read the instructions above. Either find the golden seal powder or get the pellets at a GM dealer. Remove a rad hose, put the stuff in and reinstall the hose. This isn't that tough.

If you read the posts you will find searching using "coolant supplement" it will be explained to you.

Wicho
09-16-04, 11:19 PM
I didn't find the golden powder stuff so got that. Guess my best bet would be to go to a GM dealer and buy the "real" pellets. Thanks for the help guys.

kcnewell
09-16-04, 11:47 PM
Yea, I really wouldn't use the product with the heavy, dark soluable oil in it. The small "rocks" or rabbit food pellets in the jar are actually the same sealant material that you want but you don't want the soluable oil in the system as it can cause foaming. Look for the GM pellets or the BarsLeaks powder.

foo
09-17-04, 12:09 AM
bars leak gold sealant thing is available at wal-mart.. it's a little tube with a cardboard back so it can hang up. I'd say the tube is maybe 3" long and 1" diameter so it's easy to overlook

JimD
09-17-04, 09:41 AM
I didn't find the golden powder stuff so got that. Guess my best bet would be to go to a GM dealer and buy the "real" pellets. Thanks for the help guys.

You are looking for product G12BP or HDC on this page http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

Wal-Mart usually has G12BP.