: Options for lowering my 83 Coupe deVille: Looking for clarification

glass6t
09-11-10, 01:56 PM
I've searched, read and re-read the many posts about lowering my caddy. I've done a lot of investigation to determine if lowering spindles are available for the front, but apparently not. I also got a quote from a performance shop for springs that would lower it 2 inches. Unfortunately those would be custom made would cost $315/pair (ouch!). So it seems like I've got three options, and I have some questions to help clarify some things.

The car is a 1983 Coupe deVille, 4100 engine.

1) Install the devices that clamp and compress the springs without removing them. Seems like this might be a way to see how it would look lowered, but not sure how great of a solution that would be.

2) Cut/grind the factory springs to take out approx one coil. From what I've read this is an ok solution, but the ride and geometry might be an issue.

3) Perhaps the best solution is to install springs from a Impala SS. So here are the questions and points I need clarification on.

o I believe these should be stock springs from the Impala SS, not lowering springs. Correct?

o What year should I look for? I believe I read 94-96.

o How much will these lower the car? I have the original small block 4100.

o Shocks will probably need to be changed. How do I determine which shocks to get? Same as the Impala SS, or do they mount differently?

I probably have more questions, but that's it for now. Thanks for the help.

Rick :bonkers:

fool2
09-11-10, 04:44 PM
I would just cut a few coils off. The fewer coils you have the stiffer the spring will be. If you only want to take one coil off you'll probably not even feel it.

jayoldschool
09-11-10, 04:47 PM
If you take a "few" coils off, you will be lowering the car about 4 or 5 inches. Get a pair of 94-96 Impala SS front springs. You don't need to change shocks.

glass6t
09-11-10, 05:30 PM
I would just cut a few coils off. The fewer coils you have the stiffer the spring will be. If you only want to take one coil off you'll probably not even feel it.

It looks like the "tail" on the real springs curl into a smaller diameter than the rest of the spring. If I cut off approx 1 coil will it seat properly into the spring mount? thanks for the help.

glass6t
09-11-10, 05:31 PM
If you take a "few" coils off, you will be lowering the car about 4 or 5 inches. Get a pair of 94-96 Impala SS front springs. You don't need to change shocks.

Thanks. You said to get front springs. What about the rear? And a couple more questions, I assume you mean to get the stock SS springs and not lowering springs, correct? And how much do the SS springs lower the car? Thanks, Rick

Angry Matt
09-12-10, 08:21 AM
I tried the "clamps" when I got my first car, and they were more of a pain then they were worth. Don't waste your money. Honestly I couldn't imagine them not breaking. How low do you want the car?

glass6t
09-12-10, 09:06 AM
I tried the "clamps" when I got my first car, and they were more of a pain then they were worth. Don't waste your money. Honestly I couldn't imagine them not breaking. How low do you want the car?

Probably not more than 2 inches. I want to lower it enough to notice, but definitely not slammed. I would think that 1 inch isn't enough to mess with.

csbuckn
09-12-10, 10:32 AM
I've had those clamp things in the back of my shadow for 5 years now and they are still there, I used them to raise it. I would have thought they would have fell out by now but they are holding strong. Getting a little rusty but havent moved yet. But that car weights a tiny bit less then a caddy.

glass6t
09-13-10, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Can someone help me with the option of using Impala SS springs?

o I use the stock springs from the Impala SS, not lowering springs. Correct?

o Using both front and rear?

o How much would I expect to see them lower the car?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to do it right and not spend a lot of time and money only to find that I did something that's not really noticeable.

Rick

glass6t
09-17-10, 04:44 PM
bump...

jayoldschool
09-17-10, 05:56 PM
o I use the stock springs from the Impala SS, not lowering springs. Correct?
Yes

Yes

o Using both front and rear?
Yes, but you will have to adjust your sensor arm on the rear suspension if you are keeping level ride.

o How much would I expect to see them lower the car?
About two inches

glass6t
09-18-10, 08:47 AM
Thank you very much! That's the info I needed. Rick