: Total cost of Head Gasket Repair

Slipgate
09-11-10, 12:02 PM
Can someone tell me the total cost of the HG repair doing it all yourself? I am including new anti-freeze, A/C refrigerant, new gasket set, bolt kit, other items that likely need to be replaced like motor mounts, etc. The total cost for me to do it myself.

I tried to search on this but could not find anything.

johnny kannapo
09-11-10, 12:16 PM
It's going to cost anywhere from $3000 to $6000 to get it done. give or take $$$$ You may be able to pull it off yourself for $1000 Its a real big can of worms.

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 01:05 PM
We only charge around $2500, but if you're not in the area it's not cost effective to have your car towed to us

Submariner409
09-11-10, 01:26 PM
????? DIY:

Find the cost of Jake's head stud kit, delivered. www.northstarperformance.com

Go to www.rockauto.com, www.gmpartsgiant.com or www.gmotors.com and assemble a pricing list for what you want.

If the front center motor mount is toast, dealer only or maybe eBay (caveat emptor: it must be an original GM mount.)

If you're doing a blown head gasket job and the engine oil pan and halfcase seals don't leak unduly, don't open the bottom of the engine. You might want a good engine machine shop to overhaul the heads - you have flat tappet cam followers (lifters), they tend to wear and they're scary expensive - $30 apiece and there are 32 of them.

DIY with parts and gaskets - my guess is $1750 +/- without cylinder head work. You will need a real GM shop manual. Positively. Add $75, eBay.

Mark C
09-12-10, 10:35 AM
400 bucks for the timesert tool kit with 10 timeserts, 35 bucks for the other 10. (or whatever the stud kit costs). 75 bucks for new head bolts (stud kit doesnt need these). 250 for a new felpro upper engine gasket set, 20 bucks for 2 gals of antifreeze, 80 bucks for a new a/c accumulator and orifice tube, 60 bucks for 2 lbs or R134 (if you can draw a vacuum and charge it yourself (probably 150 bucks to have it done at a shop). Might as well plan on changing at least the front motor mount (100 bucks) while its out, and the serpentine, and water pump drive belts (60 bucks)

You need a 1/2" drill, either air powered or electric, a whole bunch of metric sockets and box end wrenches (flex head box end wrenches are going to be your best friends), a hydraulic floor jack, a set of jack stands.

zonie77
09-13-10, 07:08 PM
You are not finding it because there is no simple answer to it. What are you asking specifically??? How much if you include every tool needed, every rag, soap, electricity, etc? What just the absolutely necessary parts cost? What the recommended list of parts costs (each guy here will recommend a different list)?

DO you have an engine hoist? 1/2" drill? wrenches? Socket set? floor jack?

Many of the gaskets are "reusable" but as they age they are "iffy" so any that would be hard to change later (most of them) got changed.

Give us an idea what you have and what you need.

AK Caddy
09-19-10, 02:58 PM
I did mine last summer (Aug-Sep) for about $800.00.

I used Jake's stud kit (only way to go in my opinion) for about $500.00, had another $300.00 in misc. parts (head gaskets, antifreeze, new battery, 1/2" corded drill, wheel puller, and some other small stuff.

I don't have an engine hoist, so I pulled the engine from the bottom. I was able to get the car high enough in my two-car garage to get the engine cradle out (I had to make a couple of engine cradle "skateboards" to move it on) and then did the rest of the work in the other bay.

I didn't do anything to the heads, other than check for true (as I recall, they were out about half of the allowable tolerance), just cleaned the mating surfaces and put it all back together.

I'm glad to report that I've put over 22,000 miles on the car in the last year and other than a nagging anti-freeze leak that took me awhile to find (should have changed the crossover gaskets when I had it out), it's running great. I'm averaging about 26 mpg door to door with most if it highway driving.

Good luck!

Scott
Palmer, AK

vincentm
09-20-10, 11:22 AM
I've the Chilton manual, and give a good breakdown on removing the engine and cylinder heads, should i still shoot for a GM one if i plan on doing it myself?

JoeTahoe
09-20-10, 02:34 PM
Get a gm service manual made by Helm Inc. I just bought a set for my 99 sts on !bay for $80. I think helm gets $135 for a new one. They just go into it in every detail you could imagine.

vincentm
09-20-10, 04:04 PM
Get a gm service manual made by Helm Inc. I just bought a set for my 99 sts on !bay for $80. I think helm gets $135 for a new one. They just go into it in every detail you could imagine.

Will http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?session=0A6F1B4B8FB74FA7B01BF9E501AE8 7B2&Make=CAD&Model=ELDO&Year=1997&Category=1&class_2=CAD&mk=Cadillac&yr=1997&md=Eldorado&dt=Shop/Service+Information&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP97EK&itemtype=N

Cover the Head Gaskets

Submariner409
09-20-10, 04:06 PM
Will http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?session=0A6F1B4B8FB74FA7B01BF9E501AE8 7B2&Make=CAD&Model=ELDO&Year=1997&Category=1&class_2=CAD&mk=Cadillac&yr=1997&md=Eldorado&dt=Shop/Service+Information&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP97EK&itemtype=N

Cover the Head Gaskets

That's the one........

vincentm
09-20-10, 04:41 PM
That's the one........

Thanks, still leaning at doing the Job myself.

JoeTahoe
09-20-10, 05:27 PM
thats it, makes a chilton look like a comic book

vincentm
09-20-10, 05:44 PM
thats it, makes a chilton look like a comic book

So don't do the job myself with any other manual other than this one, gotcha. Thanks guys!

Submariner409
09-20-10, 07:08 PM
So don't do the job myself with any other manual other than this one, gotcha. Thanks guys!

............you might look at www.alldatadiy.com, but then you'll need the laptop in the garage :bouncy:

ejguillot
09-20-10, 07:33 PM
Yes, if you DIY the head gasket repair is doable for less than $1200 in parts.

Stud Kit: About $535 ($495 + $40 shipping in my case)
Gasket kit: About $300 (from rockauto.com, for upper and lower seals. Leave the bottom of the engine alone and you might get away with just the upper half set - save $120 or so)

If your A/C is working properly, don't buy any A/C parts - detach the compressor from the block and secure it to the frame, keeping the system sealed. (You will need to remove the radiator and radiator fans for the necessary space.)

Other miscellaneous things, plus fluids: Budget about $350 or so, you don't know at this point what tool or part will need replacing. Include in this the cost of new brake fluid, if you drop the powertrain out the bottom (cradle and all) you will need to open up the brake fluid lines.

JoeTahoe
09-20-10, 08:50 PM
!bay has like 10 service manuals for your car ranging from $50-120 + shipping

vincentm
09-20-10, 10:14 PM
............you might look at www.alldatadiy.com, but then you'll need the laptop in the garage :bouncy:

As an IT tech support guy, that's the way to go for me, plus that company is based out of my hometown of Sacramento CA ( home of Cadillac recyclers lol), thanks man.

If you guys ever need computer assistance don't hesitate to hit me up.