: Some bugs that appear to be electrical in nature...

Taspeed
09-11-10, 01:53 AM
So the first problem, and probably the most prominent is the transmission issue. Sometimes i get in and drive...it shifts great, and other times i get in and it never shifts. Now I am getting some electrical circuit codes and have replaced the shift solenoid with the kit. It didn't fix the problem. The second issue is sometimes the gas gauge drops to "E" and stays there for a bit dinging every 10 seconds in the process even when i know i have more than a 1/2 tank. I am also getting an o2 code, but i expected that one after i had it out for 3 months doing the head studs and gaskets. I am suspect that the PCM could be going out. I've had the pan down several times and there is nothing that indicates the tranny is wearing excessively ie metal shavings or "shiny" in the pan. I am getting frustrated, and thought i would pick everyone's brain before i take it in to have someone check it out for me. Any ideas? btw its a 97 SLS with 93k.

Note: I will mention that Jake's head studs were some of the most meaty studs I've ever used ;) I think head gaskets will be the last thing this car will ever need again, and i wouldn't consider using anything else.

johnny kannapo
09-11-10, 10:07 AM
It may be as simple as a loosened or corroded battery cable

zonie77
09-15-10, 01:51 AM
I think the connector going into the trans can have problems also. Look at that.

Taspeed
03-27-11, 12:54 AM
well, it appears to have been the lower trans harness plug not pushed together good, and i had a helluva time getting my small hands in there to push it together. All of my other codes (there were several odd ones) went away when I plugged what i thought was the oil sending unit plug in at the oil filter. I had no idea it was off, but ...

This thing runs like a top now. Looks like I'm going to have to sell it sadly. I have far too many cars to make a 1000 mile move back to Dallas with.