: 2002 Old Aurora with a 3.5

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 10:03 PM
Hey ok i just got a call from the dealer they said 3 cars they could aprove me for
one was a 2001 impala the other is a 01 monte carlo
and the other was a 2002 Aurora with the 3.5 V6
my question is i really like the 02 aurora because its got all the options im used to and love its also got the Onstar wich i have wanted for a whyll but couldnt with the non digi 2000 model year onstar wich cant be used anymore
its got 63k on it
now i know someone ones told me the v8 4.0 aurora was a bad motor just like our N's the HG's would fail on those but how about the 3.5 V6 is it the same thing with the HG's question or where they good motors ?

Destroyer
09-10-10, 10:06 PM
I don't know much about these cars but I do recall hearing that those motors were basically a N* with 2 less cylinders. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm not sure. Doesn't look like you have much of a selection there. :eek:

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 10:19 PM
Yeah the 01 impala has 80k on it they want 7900 the 02 monte is a ss it has 105k on it they want 6800

the 02 aurora has 63k and they want 6500 or 6600 i have to look again
plus the finanace company they got to aprove me said they would only do it on these 3 cars because they where the ones in the budget plus they could all 3 recies a 2 year 24k warranty
so they are going to automaticly ad that into the price i think the finance company since they are high risk are chaging like 19 percent i think but they are also throwing in thte 2 year 24k
so i think if i go with the aurora it might be the best bet less miles and well if worst comes to worst then atleast i hoep the warranty will still be there when the hg's do go im going to make sure to buy a block tester and test it like ever month jsut to make sure cuase if they do go its going right into the shop to be fixed whyll its got a warranty still

but i thinkt that is the one im going to go with

called the INS company and they said if i keep the caddy and the other 2 cars mom and dads car on the polic and add the aurora it will only change my ins to an adition 95.00 dollars a year wich isnt bad

ted tcb
09-10-10, 10:30 PM
Figure on the warranty being useless .... likely P/T only, and most certainly capped with a low maximum claim limit
of around $1k. That warranty probably costs the dealer less than $200 to build into your car.

The Aurora was a nice car with a great interior.
I owned a 3.5L in a 2002 Intrigue .... ok motor, not much torque, kind of buzzy, burned oil at about 100k.
I much preferred the low torque of my 3.8L, but I would probably be like you and grab the Aurora based on
that great wraparound interior, plus all the toys that come with it.

Post pics if you can.

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 10:43 PM
I was looking on ebay wanted to see if they made a Navi from factory for the aurora and couldnt find one so will have to go aftermarket if i get one or get the onstart turn by turn puchars for 299 a year

but here is the link to the car they have it on ebay also so here it is with the pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-5-3-5L-CD-Front-Wheel-Drive-Tires-Front-All-Season-/260655212052?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cb042e614

yeah i did hear the 3.5 doesnt have as much torq or get up and go but you know one day ill get the caddy fix and ill have that for the get up and go im not getting ride of the caddy no way
so ill have 2 cars
this will be a nice car i think
im going to ask them about that and findout what the cap is and all on the warranty thanks for bringing that up i wana make sure its worth it if the one they throw in isnt worth it then maybe ill ask them about purchase options for a better warranty perhaps one that will atleast cover the motor id hope
who knows they might give a good one

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 11:02 PM
was just looking on the onstar website to see what prices where and they said when i punched in the vin number that i needed to go to the dealer and spend 15 dollar for them to upgrade me to a digital service wonder if its 15 for the part of it its 15 and thats all they charge what in the heck they might need to do but since this is still analog in 02 they are saying hmm wondering if i go to the dealer will they even know what the hekc im talking about when i ask them lol

hueterm
09-10-10, 11:10 PM
Don't hold your breath that the Onstar will work. I don't think that analog/digital upgrades were available until 2003. Maybe I'm wrong on all of them, but I know my 2002 Avalanche could NOT be upgraded. Get that Onstar -> Bluetooth conversion kit that someone around here sells....

RippyPartsDept
09-10-10, 11:25 PM
hueterm, different models got the digital upgrade available onstar at different year splits... really weird how they did that, but i agree with you ... ditch onstar and add bluetooth

i think the user is galaxy1000 (supporting vendor) that you're thinking of, right?

hueterm
09-10-10, 11:32 PM
That's him. I like Onstar, and would want to upgrade it if possible.

Playdrv4me
09-11-10, 12:59 AM
Make sure that warranty covers SEALS AND GASKETS. The 3.5L "Short-star" is exactly that, a shortened version of the 4.0 and 4.6L Northstar engine. As a result, it is subject to the same warnings and precautions as the N*. It would really suck to be stuck in a 19 percent loan on a car with yet ANOTHER failed headgasket or oil leak.

Otherwise, I kinda dig this little Aurora. Its in much much better condition than I expected thinking you were going to some hole in the wall Buy Here/Pay Here outfit.

Like we said before... Get a 3800 based 2000.00 car if you can, but if you insist on financing, then this is not a bad choice at all.

gdwriter
09-11-10, 01:15 AM
I had an Intrigue as a rental with the 3.5 in 2000 or 2001; I recall it was very smooth and made nice power. Felt smoother than the 3800-powered Intrigues I had rented before. That Aurora looks very nice, and I think those cars were underrated and under-appreciated, especially since GM pulled the plug on Oldsmobile shortly after the second-generation Aurora was launched.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 08:52 AM
I when on the On star website and it said to put in my Vin number when i was looking under older onstar equiped vehicles and it said something about mine being built in 2001 but its equped with the digital since the car is a 2002

what i dont think is right is they are chargin 299 a year for 2007 and new vehicles for onstart voice and navigationa nd all and if you have a 06 and older it jump to 399 a year WTF is up with that it just sucks i think
i might only get it untill i save up the money for a good navi unit QUOTE=hueterm;2359152]Don't hold your breath that the Onstar will work. I don't think that analog/digital upgrades were available until 2003. Maybe I'm wrong on all of them, but I know my 2002 Avalanche could NOT be upgraded. Get that Onstar -> Bluetooth conversion kit that someone around here sells....[/QUOTE]

C&C
09-11-10, 08:53 AM
I had a 2000 Intrigue before my '06 STS (and the Intrigue is still in the family; gave it to my daughter). It is approaching 95,000 mile and has been fairly stellar. It did need a crankshaft position sensor (fairly common problem) and has started burning a little oil (approximately 2 quart/6,000 mile) but a nice engine IMO. It is smooth and comes alive when the revs climb a bit. The Aurora is a high content vehicle so might be subject to moderate repair bills due to 'all them gadgets'; so, will it be a good car, perhaps.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 08:54 AM
hueterm, different models got the digital upgrade available onstar at different year splits... really weird how they did that, but i agree with you ... ditch onstar and add bluetooth

i think the user is galaxy1000 (supporting vendor) that you're thinking of, right?

I am going to get the Blue Star for sure because on want the use of it for my phone and all
but only reason i was going to do onstar was for my GPS for the Voice guided instruction untill i save up a few grand for the navi unit i really want since i cant find a navi unit from a 2002 olds anytwhere

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 09:00 AM
its not that i insist on finanancing yeah financing helps it has been helping me to rebuild my credit over the past year and a half but i don;t wana buy any car that does not have a warranty and anything that does have a warranty or that has a shot at getting an extended warranty is going to cost so much it needs to be financed if i was going to get a car for 2k or 3k i would not spend it on a car id spend it and get this fixed

i spoke with Jake yesterday see what the best he could do to help me out i know that im going to have to go to the canadian embasy to get a temp res permint to entry canada
anyone who was faloing me a few months back when the HG's first when know i tried to get into canada and they deported me lol wich really sucks so they told me go to the Embasy on this side of the country take in a few difrant apps and 300 dollars and they might aprove me or they might not and all wich sucks
so im going to do that next week
and then if they do aprove me im going to start saving up the money over the next 3 months to take the caddy and have it firxed id really rather not sell it id rather have 2 cars
the olds and the caddy but jake said it would be 2700 is what he would charge for the Block and then all the work Studs and all
Make sure that warranty covers SEALS AND GASKETS. The 3.5L "Short-star" is exactly that, a shortened version of the 4.0 and 4.6L Northstar engine. As a result, it is subject to the same warnings and precautions as the N*. It would really suck to be stuck in a 19 percent loan on a car with yet ANOTHER failed headgasket or oil leak.

Otherwise, I kinda dig this little Aurora. Its in much much better condition than I expected thinking you were going to some hole in the wall Buy Here/Pay Here outfit.

Like we said before... Get a 3800 based 2000.00 car if you can, but if you insist on financing, then this is not a bad choice at all.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 09:01 AM
so does this also mean that with the 3.5 ill burn less olil more like a 1qt every 2-3k instead of every 1400 miles ?

Jesda
09-11-10, 09:16 AM
I would avoid anything that has anything to do with the Northstar. Why in the world would Canada not let you enter? I thought anyone could just cross the border.

hueterm
09-11-10, 11:02 AM
I am going to get the Blue Star for sure because on want the use of it for my phone and all
but only reason i was going to do onstar was for my GPS for the Voice guided instruction untill i save up a few grand for the navi unit i really want since i cant find a navi unit from a 2002 olds anytwhere

A few grand for a nav unit? Where are you getting it, NASA?

Keep the stock stereo, which has to be more than sufficient unless it's broken (add an MP3 jack if you want), upgrade the Onstar which should be a couple hundred bucks w/a year contract on the service, and buy a Garmin for a couple hundred bucks.

An aftermarket head unit is going to look like ass on that dash -- plus why spend thousands on a stereo -- buy a better car, or better yet -- save the money...

hueterm
09-11-10, 11:05 AM
$2700 for a block and studs is a bargain!

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 11:21 AM
yeah, i agree w/ hueterm (again) about the navigation - the advantages to the portable unit (garmin, tomtom, etc) is that you can take them out of the car for hiking, geocaching, in a rental vehicle, friend's vehicle, etc -- that and the map updates on those units are usually a breeze compared to in-dash units

price is also something to note as well since these portable units will be much cheaper

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 12:59 PM
I would avoid anything that has anything to do with the Northstar. Why in the world would Canada not let you enter? I thought anyone could just cross the border.

Jesda its a long story but if one where falowing somet things that where said erlier in the year when the hg's first went bad and i tried to enter i had posted why
i cant get in
i have a conviction in Ohio for carrying a Concealed weapon a Folding nife that was a inch over the leagle limit and canada considered that a felony in there country lol and its a M-2 here in Ohio not a Felond its a M
so i have to apply for entry and see wht they say could take a day could take 3 months to find out what there desision is

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 01:03 PM
i dont like portable units i like in dash units my INS doenst charge me extra for added Eqpuipment like some do and they will cover the car for up to 5k in add ons with a 100 dollar deductable as long as its a bolt on or bolt in unit
where if i have a portable unit someone breaks the window to steel it not only does the INS say well that would be covered under home owners electronis not car insurance and then you have a 100 deductable on a broken window still so thats why
i dont like portable had that happen ones before IMOP Portable sucks atleast thats me

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 01:05 PM
well i didnt get the car i went in and test drove it i drove pretyy decent but i wanted to make sure and all so i told there GM Gen Manager i would only buy the car if i saw them do a block test on it and make sure nothing was wrong
well they did a block test and it came back bad as i was walking away they said what if we sell it ot you for 3k i said no why dont you replace the engine or fix the HG then ill buy it for the price you where asking LOL
so thats not going to happen

im just going to save up some more cash and hoep i can ge tinto canada and have Jason do the Block for me

drewsdeville
09-11-10, 01:12 PM
:thumbsup:At least you did your homework and are now walking away from a dud rather than getting ripped off.

Good job

Jesda
09-11-10, 01:20 PM
Disaster averted!

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 01:35 PM
the one thing that sucks is i was just reading on the canadian embasy website that it could take up to a year for them to aprove me for entry wich sucks
ok this is really shit

hey jake is your reading this
are ou still planning on opening a shop on the American side of the Borader ?

hueterm
09-11-10, 01:48 PM
Can't you just get someone to take it over the border for you?

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 01:49 PM
so you're planning on getting the engine on a pallet in the back of a truck or something, and carrying it to jake personally?
that is, of course, if the mounties will let you in

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 01:58 PM
no the car runs its just leaking coolant from the crack in the block it runs fine i used the bars stop leak and it seems to be helping for a little but i dont exsept it to last long weith an ohio winter on the way i need to change my locaiton on this site i dont live in MI anymore im back in Ohio
the engine is in the car engine runs great just has a crack in the block

i could ask my dad if he would take it over for me but not sure if he woudl or not he might come back at me with a well you know my time is valuable i work for myself so all id o is work and all that other Bs and say i dont go and just sit in anothe country in some small town hotel for 2 or 3 days whyll your person does owkr on the car what am i suposed to do for those 2 or 3 days thats what my father would say
i dont trust anyone els to take my care further then the end of the driveway lol

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 02:16 PM
oh ok... got it

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 02:28 PM
if it was bad enought to not drive id leave it on the road and hope someone hit it and call the INS company but its not that bad yet lol

orconn
09-11-10, 04:37 PM
Congratulations on avoiding another disaster with the Aurora. But reading through this thread it seems to me that you are suffering from the "Champagne taste on a beer (or less) pocketbook" syndrome. Let's face you have a "mortally" wounded Seville which you can't get fixed at this tme and you are contemplating buying a potentially expensive to maintain car to replace the Seville at a cost that will double (including interest) the cost of the car (excluding any future repairs) to you .... and you have to have an expensive navigation device because the lower cost portable units don't strike your fancy. While I feel your pain in this predicament (recently bankrupt) I do wonder what you are thinking!

Drive the Seville until you can affford the repair, if it doesn't hold out that long use the money you have saved to repair the Seville to buy an inexpensive transportation car and live frugally until you are back on your feet financually.

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 04:48 PM
:yeah:

hueterm
09-11-10, 04:59 PM
I don't think he's listening to ^ or ^^...

ga_etc
09-11-10, 05:28 PM
It's a shame that the Aurora failed the test. That's a good looking car. As said though, you avoided another pending headache. Hueterm and orconn are right. Best thing to do in this situation is mitigate your damages. If you can limp the Seville along for a little while and save some more cash that's great. If you're afraid that it's going to make it worse, or it's starting to cool off and you're afraid the weather will soon be a factor, find something CHEAP you can pay cash for. Start hitting Craigslist and see what you can find. Granted it probably won't be something you like, but as long as it serves it's purpose that's all that matters. Buy something that's cheap on gas and doesn't need many, if any, repairs and drive that until you can get the Seville back on the road. And if it's a car that you hate, then it's just extra incentive to live as frugally as possible and get the Seville fixed. Best of luck.

ted tcb
09-11-10, 07:08 PM
Orconn has offerred up some very sage advice ... hard to hear, but necessary.

The best used car I've owned, from a repair perspective, was a boring 1997 Sunfire GT.
Never cost me a dime to run, was kind of fun with a 5spd, and was dead solid reliable.
You could pick up one of these for under $2k, pop in a Garmin and Ipod tape adpaptor, and
save your money for more important things.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 07:33 PM
me i think im just going to wait and save up the money and fix the seville i guess im just a tad scared what will go wrong next after fixing this problem i know all the major stuff has already been doen but still just scared what could happen next
with the 1500 i was going to put down well 1000 now and a post dated check for 500 for 2 weeks latter i guess just keep that stock up on a few gallons of antifreeze just incase and maybe in a month or 2 ill have the money the sad thing is i had to tell my boss i just oculdn work anymore i was puting 140 - 180 miles a day on my car and i know the seville would not make it doing that so i told him i quite told him i was giving 2 weeks a few days ago and he said don't even worry about it ones your ready to come back just call and he will let me back but i dont wana put the miles on this car like that so i think
i might just do that
had the idea of maybe welding it where the crack is or having a patch welded on if its in a place where the engine doenst have to come out to have it welded that might buy me a few more months perhaps untill i get more cash but not sure that will even work

your all giving great advise and i apreciate it alot
but the main factor on weather im going to get it fix again or not is weather i can get canada to alow me in or not becuase i when the way without doing the studs the first time spend 2200 on it and now the block is bad
anyone near me is going to chage me atleast 2k again for the labor plus what ever they end up paying for the block plus taxes around me so if they get a block from jake thats 500 or if tey get a block froms omewhere els thats even more
so the one thing that it all leans on is weather or not i can get into canada or not

i crosed the idea past my old man about driving it to Canada for me and chilling for 3 days ina hotel if i pay him and all for all he has to spend and all
but he said no so im SOL there

and now i know i spoke to jake hes moving his shop next month to Manitoba wich is about a 14 hour drive from where i am not so that will make it even harder and further but im going to do what i can and all

hueterm
09-11-10, 07:46 PM
Why not ship the car to London before he moves? It would be several hundred dollars -- but so would gas, hotel, and missing work be as well....

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 07:53 PM
i just don't have the money right now i dont wana even think about sending the car out before i had all the money to fix it and i dont wana send my car to another country that im not even in
i talked to him and asked without rushing how long would it take for him to take care of it and get it doen he said when someone comes from so far away he works throut the nite all day and nit eto do the job so he said it would be about 2 days 3 days tops so thats 2 nites in a hotel that like 180 right there for the hotel another 200 for the gas
and im betting it would be like 400 or 500 to ship it to canada when i was gong to have it shiped to Chicago from Mi eveyrone wnate dlike 390 490 for it so its not likes it gona be a few hundred even if i did decided to ship it its more like probalby 800 to 900 round trip to have it shiped and get it back and all
when i do the math im at 2700 CA wich is like 2600 USD for the work aslong as it doenst need anyting els and since it was already doen in the spring and nothign was bad then im hoping nothing els is wrong now
and then im thining 200 for hotels there and like mayb another 150 for some cheap motels on the drive there and back and thne another 200 or 300 in gas and i usualy pack my own food on trips so im thikng thats what its going to take im going to have to have atleast anohter 1500 minum more then i have now before i can call him and say ok im comming and set up a time to come

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 07:53 PM
Why not ship the car to London before he moves? It would be several hundred dollars -- but so would gas, hotel, and missing work be as well....

Missing work dont matter i cant work without a car period i drive and do deliverys so well no car no work so that doenst matter anyways