: Just drove the STS at Drive Summit.

Crozier
09-11-04, 10:15 PM
I just got back from the Cadillac Drive Summit at El Toro. (southern california)

I really worked it for all I was worth to drive as many cars as I could and even repeated a few of them.

Here's what I drove:

XLR
CTS-V
CTS
STS v8
STS v6
DTS
Lexus ES 330
Mercedes C 320
Mercedes E 500
BMW 330i
BMW 540i

The most FUN was hands down the CTS V. The staff member that rides along with you really kept taunting me to go faster and drive the car harder. I didn't mind at all! =) WOW! Scary fast!

If I were to buy any car there with my own $$ it would be the STS v6. I was VERY amazed at the power that car put out. VERY torquy feeling. I kept on wondering if I was in a Northstar car. I drove the v6 twice and the Northstar twice. Yes, the Northstar had a bit more gusto, but it was kinda hard to tell the difference. I know that if you had them racing each other you'd be able see the power difference, but it was hard to tell going from one vehicle to the next.
The v6 had the aluminum and it looked GREAT! (when I saw the ebay pics a while back, i was scared and thought they looked horrible) In person it looked very classy and at home in a high end car. Very nice seats and it had good rear leg room for me. (i'm just over 6ft)
The Mercedes looked very dull sitting next the the STS. The Lexus had the same luxury as the Caddy, but not the same power. I have never been able to get into the ride, styling, or image of a BMW, so that's not for me.
When I first saw the pics of the STS a few months ago, I admit that I was disappointed. Seeing them in person and the shading and angles really brings this car to life. Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

majax
09-12-04, 12:08 AM
I've seen pics of the BMW 5 series and the interior seems kinda quarky and the doors are ugly in my opinion. What was the 5's interior like to you? I'm glad the aluminum looks good on the STS in person!

How was the XLR?

STSOnly
09-12-04, 04:30 PM
I just got back from the Cadillac Drive Summit at El Toro. (southern california)

I really worked it for all I was worth to drive as many cars as I could and even repeated a few of them.

Here's what I drove:

XLR
CTS-V
CTS
STS v8
STS v6
DTS
Lexus ES 330
Mercedes C 320
Mercedes E 500
BMW 330i
BMW 540i

The most FUN was hands down the CTS V. The staff member that rides along with you really kept taunting me to go faster and drive the car harder. I didn't mind at all! =) WOW! Scary fast!

If I were to buy any car there with my own $$ it would be the STS v6. I was VERY amazed at the power that car put out. VERY torquy feeling. I kept on wondering if I was in a Northstar car. I drove the v6 twice and the Northstar twice. Yes, the Northstar had a bit more gusto, but it was kinda hard to tell the difference. I know that if you had them racing each other you'd be able see the power difference, but it was hard to tell going from one vehicle to the next.
The v6 had the aluminum and it looked GREAT! (when I saw the ebay pics a while back, i was scared and thought they looked horrible) In person it looked very classy and at home in a high end car. Very nice seats and it had good rear leg room for me. (i'm just over 6ft)
The Mercedes looked very dull sitting next the the STS. The Lexus had the same luxury as the Caddy, but not the same power. I have never been able to get into the ride, styling, or image of a BMW, so that's not for me.
When I first saw the pics of the STS a few months ago, I admit that I was disappointed. Seeing them in person and the shading and angles really brings this car to life. Two thumbs WAY UP!!!

How did you drive all of those cars lol???? I only stayed for one session, then they kicked everybody out lol.

The XLR line was the longest. The STS V6 line was empty most of the time.

I drove the STS V8 several times. At least 6 times lol. Well, the only reason why I went to this Drive Summit was to drive the heck out of the 2005 STS lol. I didn't care about any other car.

I am very disappointed with the interior, exterior, and overall 'downsizing' of the car. Someone on this forum said that once I get into the car that I was going to drool lol. Well, I happen to get in the car drive the car, etc., and it didn't really do anything for me. That car is fast, but small like a Honda Accord. OK, not that small. But it looks like the same size as a CTS. See my pics. :boring:

'98-'03 Seville STS wins lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crozier
09-12-04, 10:27 PM
I've seen pics of the BMW 5 series and the interior seems kinda quarky and the doors are ugly in my opinion. What was the 5's interior like to you? I'm glad the aluminum looks good on the STS in person!

How was the XLR?

I didn't care too much for the Bimmers at all. They're fine vehicles but haven't ever done too much for me. They are mostly mediocre performance vehicles that trade 'performance' for comfort or style. If I want performance, I just get in the Vette. If I want Luxury, I drive the Caddy. With the bimmer you don't really get comfort or speed.

As far as the XLR. Is there a more beautiful automobile on the planet???? It is GORGEOUS!! Nice exhaust note when you get after it. Excellent interior looks and feels! I'm the wrong demographic for that car though. 75 grand.. wow...

Crozier
09-12-04, 11:05 PM
How did you drive all of those cars lol???? I only stayed for one session, then they kicked everybody out lol.

The XLR line was the longest. The STS V6 line was empty most of the time.

I drove the STS V8 several times. At least 6 times lol. Well, the only reason why I went to this Drive Summit was to drive the heck out of the 2005 STS lol. I didn't care about any other car.

I am very disappointed with the interior, exterior, and overall 'downsizing' of the car. Someone on this forum said that once I get into the car that I was going to drool lol. Well, I happen to get in the car drive the car, etc., and it didn't really do anything for me. That car is fast, but small like a Honda Accord. OK, not that small. But it looks like the same size as a CTS. See my pics. :boring:

'98-'03 Seville STS wins lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there almost the whole day. Both my wife and I registered but for different times! I also did this at the 'auto show in motion' a few months ago.

Strange that you didn't care for the car. I have no question in my mind that the new 2005 STS is light years ahead of my old 98 STS. Much more attention to details here. The styling, performance, and attitude of this vehicle place it in a whole new league. The new technology in it is AMAZING! Be sure to check out the videos explaining all of the new systems on www.cadillac.com

majax
09-13-04, 12:54 AM
gosh the STS looks so good in personal photos.

STSOnly
09-14-04, 09:38 AM
I was there almost the whole day. Both my wife and I registered but for different times! I also did this at the 'auto show in motion' a few months ago.

Strange that you didn't care for the car. I have no question in my mind that the new 2005 STS is light years ahead of my old 98 STS. Much more attention to details here. The styling, performance, and attitude of this vehicle place it in a whole new league. The new technology in it is AMAZING! Be sure to check out the videos explaining all of the new systems on www.cadillac.com

The Auto Show In Motion had the worst food. I was presently surprised with the food at Drive Summit 2004.

I registered for one time at the Auto Show In Motion, yet I was able to stay all day with no problems. Whereas I registered for one session at Drive Summit, but I had to leave after that session was over lol.

IMO, the 2005 STS was probably one of the best sedan Cadillacs that I have ever driven. There is no question that it is a better performer than those of the '98-'04 Sevilles. I think that if one looks at this car as a whole new Cadillac model, it is a winner for Cadillac. But to pass this 'small' car off as a Seville replacement is an insult.

In comparison to the previous Seville, the 2005 STS is lacking in interior, exterior, etc. The SRX/CTS steering wheel on the 2005 STS could've had 4 pokes instead of 3. I prefer the florescent gauges and green digital display over the cheap looking 2005 gauges and yellow digital display any time. I miss the big shifter knob on the previous Seville already. That little thingy on the 2005 STS doesn't fit. It may look great for the SRX, but not for the STS.

Everything from the tail lamps to the AC outlets that were horizontal on the previous Seville were made vertical on the 2005.

The previous Seville didn't look like any other car in the Cadillac lineup, but the 2005 looks like an SRX, Deville, and CTS. This car has an identity crisis.

Simply put, the 2005 STS is more performance than luxury. Whereas the previous Seville is more luxury than performance. Why can't we have both, equally? If I want performance over luxury, I would rather buy a CTS-V or Corvette. I want both.

If Cadillac would have maybe 'evolutionized' the interior of the previous Seville and did a better job on the exterior, this car would be a worthy replacement of the Seville. The STS looks like a sedan version of the SRX and from some angles, it looks like a 'small' 2000-current Deville. The CTS similarities are conspicuous and the 2005 is not a 'big car.' It's a 'small car.'

Overall, it's an excellent 'performance' car. I enjoyed driving it. The technology and performance is there. If the 2005 weren't a Seville replacement (SRX sedan, CTS-A, Deville small series), I wouldn't have any problems with it. But it's supposed to be the 'Seville replacement,' so I have a lot of issues with that. Taken as a Seville replacement, I don't like the ugly exterior, the small size, the cheap looking interior, and the overall inexpensive look of the car. The '98-'04 Seville looked expensive, very attractive, distinctive, and had a better interior. The 2005 is lacking in all the aforementioned.

STSOnly
09-14-04, 09:48 AM
gosh the STS looks so good in personal photos.

IMO, this is not bad for a 40k-60k car lol.

Crozier
09-14-04, 11:51 PM
I don't like the ugly exterior, the small size, the cheap looking interior, and the overall inexpensive look of the car.

Boy this is weird. I was at the exact same Drive Summit, driving the exact same car, probably within minutes of you. I went in not liking the car and came out loving it!

The exterior comes to life in person, the interior had fantastic room, (if you look at the specs of the car, the 05 STS is larger than the outgoing Seville in most of the dimensions. Only the width is about 1 inch narrower. The interior quality is vastly superior to my 98 STS, and the whole thing looked like a million bucks! The Mercedes looks extremely boring and out dated parked next to the new STS.

I'm sold on it BIG TIME!! I'll be getting a v6 version early next year.

STSOnly
09-17-04, 09:00 AM
Boy this is weird. I was at the exact same Drive Summit, driving the exact same car, probably within minutes of you. I went in not liking the car and came out loving it!

The exterior comes to life in person, the interior had fantastic room, (if you look at the specs of the car, the 05 STS is larger than the outgoing Seville in most of the dimensions. Only the width is about 1 inch narrower. The interior quality is vastly superior to my 98 STS, and the whole thing looked like a million bucks! The Mercedes looks extremely boring and out dated parked next to the new STS.

Whenever you get a 2005 STS, don't trade in your '98 STS. I'll give you a better deal than the dealership lol.

The STS is a great car, it's just not a great Seville STS replacement IMO.

MrPink
07-10-05, 05:11 PM
My wife and I drove at the El Toro summit on Saturday the 9th.
They asked us to leave after our 7th run. I killed a couple cones with a CTS.
It was really awsome to drive on a closed course with no speed limits.
I believe that I yoiu don't smell brakes and tires when you get out, you aren't pushing it hard enough.

I drove the 2 seater and the brakes faded and the pedal went to the floor before I was done...
I thought the DTS did really well for a big 4 door.

I normally drive a 1972 Datsun PL510 (http://www.computershrink.com/images/mrpink.jpg) with a 2.0L, Weber Side Drafts, 5 Speed and stiffened suspension. It doesn't push through the turn as much as these Caddys did.

I had a great time and would like to that Cadillac and the course personel for letting me have sooooo much fun.

Scott

TCSisOFF
07-19-05, 01:19 AM

I was there with you. I was the younger guy with the bed-head.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/geterdone/caddytrackdaysml.jpg