: Picked up my V-Coupe: I have a wheel question......

aj660
09-10-10, 04:49 PM
Okay, so I originally ordered silver with non-polished wheels. I then decided to change my exterior color to Black Raven. I should have switched to the polished wheels, but I didn't think about it. To me, polished wheels look better on black cars.

When I was at the dealer picking up my car, I saw another Black V-Coupe with polished wheels and I liked that look a bit better. The painted wheels on a black car look a little dull. I asked the dealer how much it would cost to purchase the polished wheels and it's almost $2000. Forget that !!

My question is this; what would you do? I can powder coat them which will cost $110 per wheel. I also know some companies will polish them for about $200-$250 per wheel, which is a little pricey.

I definitely want to do something, but I can't justify spending $2000 or more on new wheels; I'm also not interested in black wheels or black chrome; I want to keep the wheels somewhat stock looking and not too flashy...

Any ideas would be appreciated ?

cbloveday
09-10-10, 05:31 PM
If you live in NY and plan to drive the car in the winter, I would buy the polished wheels for PS2s and use the non polished for winter use and sottos.

New Bee In New York
09-10-10, 06:48 PM
I don't recall how much the polished wheels cost when I bought my V but a sticker price of $2000 doesn't surprise me.

I have to agree with the above poster. DON'T drive the car with the polished wheels in the winter. Besides, the PS2's will get you in trouble if the ambient temperature is below 40*. Winter tires (4) are definitely the way to go here in NY if you are driving it through the winter months. Tire Rack has a great winter package for our cars. You won't be sorry.

If you can get a real good powder coater for for $110 per wheel, I'd go with that. What color would you coat them and how close to chrome can a powder coater get?

Good luck.

garfin
09-10-10, 08:41 PM
If you live in NY and plan to drive the car in the winter, I would buy the polished wheels for PS2s and use the non polished for winter use and sottos.

I believe you are getting some sensible advice here. I have also been warned not to run the polished wheels in the winter. $2G's maybe a little on the high side for a set of polished wheels, but it sounds like you are planning to be driving your V in the winter, which pretty much dictates a 2nd set of wheels.

So... the guy in Detroit who I just bought my OEM silver painted wheels from (on which the Pirelli Sottozeros in stock sizes will soon be mounted) is also selling a set of brand new polished wheels for $1399 on eBay. Mike is a good guy to do business with and he'll work with you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-19-CADILLAC-CTS-CTS-V-WHEELS-RIMS-4648_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26ituQ3 dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d8Q26pmodQ3d2506838172 06Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d5774019893033669 484QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ43959QQitemZ26 0661561752

BTW, I was really up in the air about color and wheels when I ordered my V. I was ready to pull the trigger on a silver V with the basic painted wheels. I do love that combo 'cuz it's is quiet and understated... and I've really loved my silver Camaro SS with the old style C4 ZR-1 silver painted wheels. It's a great match!
Would've saved a few bux as well with that combo, but my wife loved the Thunder Gray... and I owed her something for her backing my decision on getting the manual ('cuz she can't [or won't] drive it).
Oh yeah... and the black definitely needs the polished wheels for sure - as does the TGC. They do look "flat" otherwise, as I guess any dark shade probably would.

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
09-11-10, 12:46 AM
I believe you are getting some sensible advice here. I have also been warned not to run the polished wheels in the winter. $2G's maybe a little on the high side for a set of polished wheels, but it sounds like you are planning to be driving your V in the winter, which pretty much dictates a 2nd set of wheels.

So... the guy in Detroit who I just bought my OEM silver painted wheels from (on which the Pirelli Sottozeros in stock sizes will soon be mounted) is also selling a set of brand new polished wheels for $1399 on eBay. Mike is a good guy to do business with and he'll work with you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-19-CADILLAC-CTS-CTS-V-WHEELS-RIMS-4648_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26ituQ3 dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d8Q26pmodQ3d2506838172 06Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d5774019893033669 484QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ43959QQitemZ26 0661561752

BTW, I was really up in the air about color and wheels when I ordered my V. I was ready to pull the trigger on a silver V with the basic painted wheels. I do love that combo 'cuz it's is quiet and understated... and I've really loved my silver Camaro SS with the old style C4 ZR-1 silver painted wheels. It's a great match!
Would've saved a few bux as well with that combo, but my wife loved the Thunder Gray... and I owed her something for her backing my decision on getting the manual ('cuz she can't [or won't] drive it).
Oh yeah... and the black definitely needs the polished wheels for sure - as does the TGC. They do look "flat" otherwise, as I guess any dark shade probably would.

Best regards,

Elie

Hey Garfin, good buddy, thought we might have lost you when you failed to chime in with your knowledge and expertise for member Tony407 with respect to his query re: visiting the Lansing V plant.

Never knew you to miss an opportunity to share your experience and inform a fellow member!

However,how good is it to see the old raconteur is back in action and regaling us again with those anecdotes?

baabootoo
09-11-10, 01:50 AM
I have the polished, hate shiny wheels, and will swap them with you; SERIOUSLY. I was going to paint over mine anyway.

aj660
09-11-10, 06:06 PM
I think that would be difficult because the V-Coupe wheels have a slightly different offset. It would also be difficult to ship, etc.... Probably cheaper to buy wheels lol...

aj660
09-11-10, 06:08 PM
I want to thank you all for the good advice. However, I think I'll powdercoat the wheels for now and I'll see how that looks. I'm going to go with either a hyper silver or a anthracite gray or another light grey.

cbloveday
09-11-10, 06:57 PM
I have the polished wheels for my winter sotos and a set of polished for my PS2s. I will say that the polished have been through one winter here and they look just as good as the summer set. I swap them in October and April and clean them and then apply Swissvax Autobahn Wheel Wax. I store the wheels inside where I can admire them until the season changes. What I am saying is, I think the polished wheels are fine for the winter. Just make sure you properly care for the finish.

wfo
09-11-10, 07:09 PM
No pics, no help.