: m5 owner waved to me

rphctsv
09-09-10, 10:30 PM
So I came up next to an M5 at stop light and he rolled down his window and waved to me as light turned green and just let me go. Neither of us revved up our engines. So I waved back.

Club Malibu
09-09-10, 11:34 PM
Very unusual indeed.

Maybe he owns a V.

rphctsv
09-10-10, 12:05 AM
yes it struck me as odd. other vettes wave to me and I wave back when I'm driving my vette, but that's a vette thing. well at least he didn't try to race not that I would anyway cause cops are always around in my area.

odla
09-10-10, 07:02 AM
maybe he was on his way to trade for a v?

cbloveday
09-10-10, 07:18 AM
Just another enthusiast and decent guy I suspect.

lavaman
09-10-10, 08:11 AM
A couple weeks ago, my cousin drove my car. He is a BMW guy through and through. He belongs to a BMW club in Ohio and is a Performance driving instructor. His drive of my car was his first in a CTS-V. He lit up with enthusiasm, and insisted I had to bring my car to one of the upcoming track events they are having. He was just amazed by the total package Cadillac has put together for us... not to mention a few aftermarket goodies on my car.

I had a similar encounter with an owner of an M5 in a parking lot. He simply pointed to my car and gave it a :thumbsup: as he drove off. A true car enthusiast acknowledges an awesome car regardless of who it belongs to.

Vrocks
09-10-10, 09:40 AM
That's cool.

No matter what a true enthusiast is driving they'll show interest and compliment other cool rides, that's what it's all about - wejust pick the one we like the most and can reasonably afford.

CIWS
09-10-10, 11:15 AM
Just another enthusiast and decent guy I suspect.

:yeah:

Teutonaddict
09-10-10, 04:21 PM
A couple weeks ago, my cousin drove my car. He is a BMW guy through and through. He belongs to a BMW club in Ohio and is a Performance driving instructor. His drive of my car was his first in a CTS-V. He lit up with enthusiasm, and insisted I had to bring my car to one of the upcoming track events they are having. He was just amazed by the total package Cadillac has put together for us... not to mention a few aftermarket goodies on my car.

As a former M5 guy and an 18-year BMWCCA member, I can appreciate his reaction!

I see far more similarities than differences between my current V2 and my E39 M5. I used to take my M5 to AudiClub events at Mid-Ohio, and had my brother bring his s/c quattro to BMW club events at Road Atlanta. While there's always a little b@ll-busting, I've always found that gearheads are gearheads, and appreciate fine machinery no matter what badge it wears. Shoot, I've had the local AudiClub guys invite me to bring my V2 to one of their local track days and I will...as soon as I can break free from my kids' weekend sports schedules...

I give thumbs up all the time to cool rides, from little Lotuses to old Hemi's, and then I squirt the V2 ahead in time warp fashion. God I love this vehicle!

thebigjimsho
09-11-10, 01:14 PM
I have always loved BMW. I just love Cadillac more now.

shchow
09-11-10, 01:34 PM
IMHO a real car enthusiast appreciates the strengths of every car.
When you read about people professing that "this is the 20th BMW I have owned," that person is not a car enthusiast.
Maybe a BMW fanatic, but not a car enthusiast.
When you go and experience as many different cars as you can afford, that's true enthusiasm...

concorso
09-11-10, 01:49 PM
IMHO a real car enthusiast appreciates the strengths of every car.
When you read about people professing that "this is the 20th BMW I have owned," that person is not a car enthusiast.
Maybe a BMW fanatic, but not a car enthusiast.
When you go and experience as many different cars as you can afford, that's true enthusiasm...I disagree. BMW is the only company that has consistently produced great driving sport sedans. The fact that someone has owned only BMW's doesnt mean theyre only brandwhores. It could also imply that they just like buying the best driving sedans. If the V continues to be a great car, will I still have to buy a BMW M or an MB AMG next to be considered a 'car enthusiast'? I know some guys, and Im sure you do to, that cant and never will be able to afford a real sport sedan or sports car. Does that mean they cant be a real enthusiast? Ownership experience is not the only indicator...

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 01:52 PM
No matter what a true enthusiast is driving they'll show interest and compliment other cool rides, that's what it's all about - wejust pick the one we like the most and can reasonably afford.
:yeah:

concorso
09-11-10, 01:58 PM
While there's always a little b@ll-busting, I've always found that gearheads are gearheads, and appreciate fine machinery no matter what badge it wears.That has been my experience.

shchow
09-11-10, 02:37 PM
I disagree strongly. BMW is the only company that has consistently produced great driving sport sedans...I know some guys, and Im sure you do to, that cant and never will be able to afford a real sport sedan or sports car. Does that mean they cant be a real enthusiast? Ownership experience is not the only indicator...

There are plenty of cars within all price ranges that offer performance for everyone. Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge.
When someone has only owned one particular brand of car and nothing else, that is a brand whore. On the other hand, if you have tried various different cars and come to the conclusion that BMW offers the best driving sedans, that's a totally different matter.
So I stick to my original statement...

shchow
09-11-10, 02:41 PM
If the V continues to be a great car, will I still have to buy a BMW M or an MB AMG next to be considered a 'car enthusiast'?

No, because you have owned and driven various cars and made up your mind as to which one you feel is the best for you.
Now if all you ever driven where V's, yes, you will need to buy an M or AMG to be an enthusiast ;)

concorso
09-11-10, 03:18 PM
No, because you have owned and driven various cars and made up your mind as to which one you feel is the best for you.
Now if all you ever driven where V's, yes, you will need to buy an M or AMG to be an enthusiast ;)Im relieved you didnt take exception to the use of 'strongly'...

I still disagree. Heres an example of where Im coming from. My father is a GM guy through and through, from pickups to cars. He has owned almost as many Corvettes as Ive owned cars. He wants the Chevy badge, he wants the Corvette name and he will support the model as long as he can. Brandwhore right? Not exactly. He's the cheeky guy at car shows wearing a GM hat, yet he'll approach any owner of any car if theres something interesting about it, whether its a Supra Turbo or an F355 Challenge or a Viper. He has no interest in owning any other brand of sports car, but finds them interesting because they are sports cars. In fact, he helped a friend of his install a MB V12 in a Chevy Nova, I think it was. He attends track days in his vettes and has attended a driving school. In fact, he was the one who explained to me how the Ferrari engines are different then the corvette engines, and what the benefits are... How is he not a car enthusiast?

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 03:44 PM
as a note, i don't think you have to own lots of cars to be an enthusiast, but you do have to have experience with many cars
friends' cars, rentals, loaners, test drives etc ... theres many ways to get behind the wheel of a car without buying it

experience and knowledge, but experience trumps stat memorization

Johnsteph10
09-11-10, 06:49 PM
I disagree. BMW is the only company that has consistently produced great driving sport sedans. The fact that someone has owned only BMW's doesnt mean theyre only brandwhores. It could also imply that they just like buying the best driving sedans. If the V continues to be a great car, will I still have to buy a BMW M or an MB AMG next to be considered a 'car enthusiast'? I know some guys, and Im sure you do to, that cant and never will be able to afford a real sport sedan or sports car. Does that mean they cant be a real enthusiast? Ownership experience is not the only indicator...

BMW may produce some great machines, but there is a very heavy dose of generalized hubris/elitism that really only BMW seems to have -- and it is definitely more prominent than any other brand out there.

To think that BMW produces perfect cars is a bit blind -- they are good, but they are far from perfect. I looked at a new M3 and a used M5 -- the V just spanked both of them after examining them/test driving them. I was unsure between the V and the M(s) before the test-drive, afterwards, I was sure I would go with the V.

My neighbor has a 2010 M5 and he was very excited when he found out I was getting a V. Hopefully, at some point soon, we'll have a track day.

gnxs
09-29-10, 10:18 AM
So I came up next to an M5 at stop light and he rolled down his window and waved to me as light turned green and just let me go. Neither of us revved up our engines. So I waved back.
Same thing happened to me last night. Guy heading in the other direction (didn't notice it was an M5 at first) gave me some sort of hand gesture that looked to be a positive acknowledgment. He caught me by surprise, but I managed a late thumbs-up back to him. Nice to see, especially considering all the crap I see posted about the CTS-V on the M5 forum.

As always, true auto enthusiasts never wear brand-loyal blinders. :thumbsup:

Club Malibu
09-30-10, 01:53 AM
As always, true auto enthusiasts never wear brand-loyal blinders. :thumbsup:

Agree 100%

thebigjimsho
10-01-10, 08:54 PM
+1^^^

aburd
10-02-10, 12:18 AM
wave to him at the drag strip. otherwise lame. my boss has a m5 and he wont drive 10 miles to challenge me. so whatever.

concorso
10-02-10, 02:31 PM
BMW may produce some great machines, but there is a very heavy dose of generalized hubris/elitism that really only BMW seems to have -- and it is definitely more prominent than any other brand out there.

To think that BMW produces perfect cars is a bit blind -- they are good, but they are far from perfect. I looked at a new M3 and a used M5 -- the V just spanked both of them after examining them/test driving them. I was unsure between the V and the M(s) before the test-drive, afterwards, I was sure I would go with the V.

My neighbor has a 2010 M5 and he was very excited when he found out I was getting a V. Hopefully, at some point soon, we'll have a track day.I wasnt implying that BMW makes perfect cars or has ever made a perfect car. I was simply saying that BMW is the only brand that has consistently produced great driving sedans. You cant argue with that. Every M3 and M5 has been a hoot to drive. You cant say the same about the Audi R/S's or the MB AMG's or Jag R's. Cadillac and Lexus didnt even have drivers' sedans before this decade.

I still believe that you can be an auto enthusiast without owning vehicles from multiple brands. In the US especially, there are plenty of people who only buy patriotically, yet appreciate and even like other brands from other countries, and can talk at length about them. I dont need to own supercars to be enthusiastic about them. ;)

cbloveday
10-02-10, 06:17 PM
Got the nod today from an Audi IS4, Friday I got a thumbs up from a Nissan Z on the way to work and an comment from an Infinit SUV driver on my way home.
I drove an M6 prior to my V.
Brands don't matter. They were all enthusiasts to me.

bzabodyn
10-02-10, 09:11 PM
I'm a current M5 owner and labored over buying a CTS-V instead and just couldn't do it... but, I'm one of those people that acknowledges anyone in a car that "I" would drive - Vs included.

...now when the Wagon hits the streets, I might have to sing another tune - Can't afford a Cayenne Turbo, so it's the next best thing (need more room)...

BZ