: Final input on shocks installation anyone?

durrk johnson
09-09-10, 09:25 AM
I was just told by the shop that my cars at right now that the rear shocks I bought for my car (Monroe Max-Air) were manual fill shocks and wont work with my compressor which is having no problems but I didnt know they they wouldnt work with my system. Wat shocks would I need to work with the system?.

Also, I have the HD Bilsteins for the front and am very iffy about getting them put on aswell. I am not sure how the ride will be with the manual fill in the back and the HDs in the front. Will it be too stiff upfront? I dont want to have to get them removed right away.

Sorry, my transcooler is fixed, they said theres no apparent damage to the tranny, and have my shocks there with the car, I just dont know if I should get the shocks put on or send them back. :/

Stingroo
09-09-10, 09:41 AM
Well if you want to keep the air ride, send them back.

Personally, I'd get rid of it anyway. I plan on getting regular rears for the wagon when the time comes.

durrk johnson
09-09-10, 10:00 AM
Well see, thats the thing mr. stingaroo.

I bought max-air's which are manual fill air shocks for the reason that I thought they would work with my air ride system. BUt apparently they dont. So what is the use of having air shocks at all then you know?

jayoldschool
09-09-10, 10:44 AM
You need the connection kit. Part number AK12 if memory is correct. Check rockauto.com to confirm, then buy local at your parts place.

csbuckn
09-09-10, 02:42 PM
Personally, is keep the setup you bought and put the fill valve behind the bumper.

durrk johnson
09-09-10, 03:18 PM
Personally, is keep the setup you bought and put the fill valve behind the bumper.

Well, i told them to just go through with it, and install them considering they can connect them to my existeing compressor system.

So now... We will see...

csbuckn
09-10-10, 06:16 PM
How'd it turn out

durrk johnson
09-11-10, 03:13 AM
Well, i thin kI made a good choice, the ride isnt as stiff as i thought it would be, and my rear isnt as raised as i thought it would be. But I guess they spliced the lines to fit the compressor system. And my HD bilsteins are rockin. When i go over a big bump my car used to bounce, now it just goes through it. Yes, i can feel more bumps, but they are softened like, and when on flat ground, it feels like Im gliding. Not a bad setup at all so far.

jayoldschool
09-11-10, 12:04 PM
Congrats, durrk! Sounds like it was worth it.

csbuckn
09-11-10, 12:35 PM
Thats what I was thinking, They may be HD shocks but not in a 5000 lb brougham. I think its better that they are stiffer now because they should get a little softer as time goes.

durrk johnson
09-11-10, 12:49 PM
Thats what I was thinking, They may be HD shocks but not in a 5000 lb brougham. I think its better that they are stiffer now because they should get a little softer as time goes.

I dont get it, they are used for light trucks and trucks, so are you saying a broughams heavier?

csbuckn
09-11-10, 01:17 PM
I dont know which is heavier but trucks also have other stuff to help stiffen up the ride like thicker springs, where the shocks and springs mount and bushings.

RippyPartsDept
09-11-10, 01:42 PM
i seem to recall a kit that you could use to convert the manual fill shocks over to work with the compressor

is the problem that the lines that hook on to the oe shocks don't fit the nipples on your new absorbers?
if so that kit was what you could use, but you had to splice the kit's air line into your lines with a compression fitting (or something like that)
i'm a bit hazy on the details since it's been well over a year since we did this last

all that being said, I've got the OE shocks in stock (it a kit with both absorbers in it)
list price is $252.48 but i'd be willing to come off the price about $110 if you'll pay the ground freight

[edit: DOH, just finished reading the thread and saw you've already got this taken care of, and they did splice the line it seems]

durrk johnson
09-11-10, 01:42 PM
man Im really worried about winter for my car. i dont want to put it through another wisconsin winter. It went through 1 already, after being garage kept most of it slife.

durrk johnson
09-11-10, 01:43 PM
lol did you not read the part where I posted they are already installed? haha