: might get a Buick tomorow but not sure have some questions anyone know anyting about

ThumperPup
09-08-10, 09:33 PM
Hey everyoen just wondering all thats been going on with the caddy
having the HG's doen in april and i just had the tranny rebuilt 2 weeks ago not even

and i just found out today the block is cracked so im not sure if im gona put anymore money into this car really thinking heard about weather im past the point of no return or what

i went to a dealership today and looked at some nice chevys Saturns and Buicks

and out of 6 cars i think i found the one i liek its a 2007 Buick LuCern wondering does anyone know anytihin g about these cars is certified with the remainder of the 5 year 100k power train and its got a 12month 12k bumper to bumper on it
im picking it up for 15900 if i get it its got 61k on it

is this a good car its got the 3.8 V6 in it
anyone know what kind of trouble i may be in for with this ?

hueterm
09-08-10, 09:39 PM
I think the heated washer fluid thing was a debacle and they had to remove it under recall so the car didn't catch on fire, but you should be good to go.

By then, they had pretty much all the bugs worked out. It's basically a cross between the previous gen LeSabre and Park Avenue -- depending on how well it was equipped.

With the warranty you're getting, if it gives you trouble you should be able to get it fixed before the warranty is up.

I say go for it!

ThumperPup
09-08-10, 11:38 PM
thanks waiting till tomorrow to find out whats going on if they got the bank to OK it or not if not then i guess im not sure what ill do

Jesda
09-08-10, 11:58 PM
They're dependable and decent to drive. Nothing special or distinctive, but they're pleasant and dependable.

From that same year, I would suggest looking for a Saturn Aura with brown moroccan leather. They're fun to drive and nice to sit in, and reasonably quick if you get the 3.6L XR.

Stingroo
09-09-10, 12:50 AM
Saturn...quick

First time those two words have ever been so close together and someone WASN'T talking about the Sky?

ThumperPup
09-09-10, 01:24 AM
only reason i keep away from the saturn is not so sure i wana get a car that they dont even make anymore

ben.gators
09-09-10, 01:29 AM
I would say go for it! If you check any ranking of owner satisfaction or car reliability Buick is among top three or at least top five... And among domestic cars it is usually second after Lincoln... As a past owner of Buick I should say Buick rarely disappoint...

Jesda
09-09-10, 03:59 AM
only reason i keep away from the saturn is not so sure i wana get a car that they dont even make anymore

Far as I know, GM has been good about keeping the parts available, and since its an Epsilon car, the platform and most parts are shared across most of GM's divisions.

The Aura XR has 252hp.

You will love the comfort and refinement of the Buick, but you will greatly miss the driving dynamics of the Cadillac.

Playdrv4me
09-09-10, 05:53 AM
thanks waiting till tomorrow to find out whats going on if they got the bank to OK it or not if not then i guess im not sure what ill do

I'm not entirely certain I could live with myself dumping $16,000.00 into a Buick anything (ok, maybe the Enclave)... aaannddd, as long as we ARE talking about the domestic Lexus... I would much rather have a 2001-2003 LS430 with similar mileage for that price. So much more car for the same amount of money, and you get to keep a V8 AND 27mpg highway fuel economy.

Don't want to step over to the dark side? OK... get a mid 2000's Deville or DTS with a CPO warranty, so if the headgasket is ever an issue again it will be covered for you... OR a 2003 to 2005 Lincoln Town Car with a warranty, OR Park Avenue ULTRA for less than 7 grand... and so on and so on if you catch my drift here. Unless that Lucerne is a CXS (rare), I'd pass. Not because its a bad car, it just isn't 16 grand worth of car.

ted tcb
09-09-10, 05:15 PM
Good points, Ian, for cash buyers.
I don't know about down your way, but up here, most dealers cannot finance cars older than 5 model years.
If Pup is financing, he may just have to stay with the newer car.

I know I'm in the minority, but I feel the 04 LS430 may just be the best built car, ever.
Following that logic, I find it to be a great used car find for a cash buyer.

ben.gators
09-09-10, 05:40 PM
Huh, again, back to the old myth! Lexus and Toyota are the best cars in the roads and american cars are just a pile of crap!
I agree that paying 16K for a 5 year old Buick with more than 60K miles on it is a bit high, since American used cars usually do not hold their value a lot! But the fact is Buick is one of the most reliable and the best built cars in the market! this is not my personal claim, this is what independent rankings say, and in most of the rankings Buick stands higher than Lexus....

ga_etc
09-09-10, 05:50 PM
For that money you could get a CPO Impala SS. It's the same car, only better looking IMO. Plus with the SS you get 5.3L and 303hp of goodness without much of MPG penalty.

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!!g,MqlgCWE~$%28KGrHqV,!jcE%29pe,0U4SBMdHOgiUyQ~~_ 4.JPG

hueterm
09-09-10, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's better looking, but there's no denying the appeal of the engine.....

ben.gators
09-09-10, 08:46 PM
Impala SS is a nice car, but the problem is Impala is a fleet car.... So if "Public appearance" is important for you Impala is not a very good choice .... and I am not sure Impala SS comes with al of the luxurious options that Buick LuCern has....

Jesda
09-09-10, 09:02 PM
The V6 Lucerne is a common rental car, just like the Impala. However, the 3.8 is not enough to drag around all that mass.

ted tcb
09-09-10, 10:05 PM
Huh, again, back to the old myth! Lexus and Toyota are the best cars in the roads and american cars are just a pile of crap!

I most certainly did not state those words .... you did.

My opinion, just that, is based upon personal experience, not anecdotal secondhand surveys.
I've owned about 3 dozen US cars, and about the same number from Europe and Japan.
Some good, some bad, but dependability was never directly related to country of origin.

I enjoyed my ownership of a 2004 LS430, and it shares many attributes with the Lucerne.
Its solidly built, utilizes quality materials, and maintains exceptional resale value.
I thought it was worth a comparative glance.

Never slammed the Buick ..... relax, count to ten, slowly exhale, find a peaceful place.

Jesda
09-09-10, 10:25 PM
I think LS400 will offer a more American driving experience for less money than an LS430.

ThumperPup
09-09-10, 11:09 PM
well i went to 3 car dealers today and well 2 where willing to give me loans or well 2 foan banks that would give me a loan but they kept tryign to push me in these frod turauses and olds aleros and pontiac shits i mean vibes
and crap like that knowing darn well when i called them to set up an apt i told them i was comming in for a bucik lacross lacern pontiac grand prix chevy impala saturn aurura and they kept trying to convince me to get the other cars that i didnt want
so i left the 3rd dealership with nothing
i know i was prepared to take a step down from the caddy but im not willing to go that low if you know what im saying

now im just really thinking about what im going to do i put the bars stop leak in the caddy it stoped the leak from the block but how long will it stay stoped for that is the question
and am i going to soak more money into this and fix it or am i going to keep looking for someone who will give me a loan and hope they find someone i don't know
but just wanted to update here and thanks evyerone for your apinsions

i just dont know what im going to do

ben.gators
09-09-10, 11:36 PM
The V6 Lucerne is a common rental car, just like the Impala. However, the 3.8 is not enough to drag around all that mass.

Lucerne is a common rental car in Luxury section, impala is a basic fleet car for cops, fire department, rental companies and different organization....

Jesda
09-09-10, 11:56 PM
DONT LET THE DEALER HANDLE YOUR FINANCING. Most of them use expensive lenders.

Call your credit union (or join one) and call all over town shopping for the best rate. Then, go look for your car. Also, dont forget about the sponsors on the forum who sell new and used cars.

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 12:25 AM
with my credit it wont matter i am dealing with a bankruptcy that has only been discharged for a year and a half
only places that are touching me are the high risk ones that want like 22 percent
i know thats high i dont mind paying 20 or higher but when they start to try and screw me and they try to put me in these crappy cars then thats when i draw the line and i need something locale no way to get out of town to pick it up
so seems that im screwed

Jesda
09-10-10, 12:55 AM
Ahh, that's too bad. Though honestly, bankruptcy isn't the worst thing in the world. My dad filed bk after divorce and bought himself a house and new car 2 years later. However, he's been with the same company since the early 1980s (how rare is that?), so banks know that his situation was caused by "life" rather than any inability to pay. If your employment situation is shaky then you're stuck with cash cars for a few years.

And that's really not so bad considering how good today's used cars are. 2-4 grand will get you a 3.8L Buick, a Maxima, or something similar.

Cash cars are more fun anyway. I'll never make another car payment again.

Playdrv4me
09-10-10, 03:15 AM
On the contrary, Bankruptcy makes you *more* appealing to lenders because it means they can charge you MORE interest AND they know you can't file another bankruptcy for 5 more years.

Letting the dealership handle your financing is not a good idea unless you go to a specific dealership that does get me bought deals and has the power to put you in the car you want to buy. They are definitely out there you just have to do your homework. Trust me, banks LOVE ex-bankruptcy buyers with a low DTI and no hope of filing another bankruptcy for along time.

drewsdeville
09-10-10, 10:00 AM
Cash cars are more fun anyway. I'll never make another car payment again.

:thumbsup:

My own personal motto for anything outside of purchasing a home is that if you can't pay cash then you really can't afford it and shouldn't be buying it... period.

hueterm
09-10-10, 11:29 AM
You didn't mention your financial situation earlier, so my advice is changing...

Your HG job is pissed away, as your block is cracked. Unless it's a mint condition, low mileage example that just had a fluke engine, I'd get out from the STS. And I probably would get out of it even if it was. There are too many things to go wrong w/it that can bleed you dry.

W/your credit, you're going to get killed on financing. You'll pay as much in interest as for the car. I'd look for the cheapest, best example, lowest mileage Panther, 3800 or B-body around that I could buy outright. I'd compromise on color, model, options and get the best one you can find for the least amount of money.

Then save whatever your payment was going to be on the Lucerne. (200/300/400 per month, whatever it would have been) Open up a separate account with no ATM access and shred your checks, or put the cash in a safety deposit box, so you're not tempted to spend it. In a year's time, you'll have $2400-4800 saved up, plus whatever your cash car is worth. If you're OK w/your cash car, keep it and keep saving. If you hate it, then you'll have more money to play with to get a nicer one.

Do this for a few years, and by the time your bk clears, you'll probably have as nice a car as that Lucerne, and you won't owe anything on it.

ted tcb
09-10-10, 11:31 AM
If your SLS truly has a cracked block, then Bars Stop Leak won't get you through another Michigan winter.
Considering your recent bancruptcy discharge, why not stay away from incurring more debt on a depreciating asset
and consider more basic transportation for the short term?

If you need to maintain comfort, the group consensus would be a 3.8L Lesabre, Regal, Impala, Bonneville, etc.
My repair history on a 5 yr old Lesabre consisted of an intake manifold gasket, and a bad ignition switch.
Good gas mileage, comfortable ride, lots of interior room.
I still have a 98 Maxima GLE. Fast, smooth, nice near luxury level car.
In 12 years, I've done normal repairs, plus a knock sensor.... the car really insists on premium fuel.
You have so many good options for $5k, if you can qualify for a small personal loan.

20% interest on any used car loan has danger signs written all over it ... you're stacking the odds against you with
massive negative equity.

Good luck .... many of us have been in your situation, and it only gets better with time.

ted tcb
09-10-10, 11:32 AM
Hueterm, we must've posed the same advice at the same time .

gdwriter
09-10-10, 03:44 PM
DONT LET THE DEALER HANDLE YOUR FINANCING. Most of them use expensive lenders.

Call your credit union (or join one) and call all over town shopping for the best rate.Agreed. I joined a local credit union when I bought my Seville, got pre-approved at 7.5% and went into the dealer with approved financing in hand.

with my credit it wont matter i am dealing with a bankruptcy that has only been discharged for a year and a half
only places that are touching me are the high risk ones that want like 22 percentWas it Chapter 7 or 13? If it was Chapter 13 where you repaid at least some of what you owed, it's not as big a ding on your credit.

Thanks to my divorce from a woman who spent money like there was no tomorrow, I was forced to file Chapter 13 and repaid >$15,000 in three years. Mine was discharged in November, 2008, and I bought the Seville in February, 2009. It probably helps that I have a pretty secure job and make decent money. And my credit score is now solidly in the average range.

Jesda's suggestion to look for a cash car isn't a bad one if you can save up $3,000-$4,000. Or, if you can make a 50% down payment on one, then you might be able to get financing on more favorable terms.

gdwriter
09-10-10, 03:52 PM
If you need to maintain comfort, the group consensus would be a 3.8L Lesabre, Regal, Impala, Bonneville, etc.I'd go with a LeSabre or Park Avenue. It will give you the comfort you want, they're reliable and good on gas, and the older people who tend to buy these cars take good care of them. So while it's a used car, it's gently used. And Buicks have a reputation for better reliability.

20% interest on any used car loan has danger signs written all over it ... you're stacking the odds against you with massive negative equity.Agreed. You can easily get hosed. When I met her, my ex-wife had a >20% loan on a POS Kia Sephia (she had gone through a Chapter 7, which should have been a huge warning sign for me) that was worth less than half of what she owed and was falling apart. There was no way she would ever recover from that financially. So, being newly in love and getting married, I bought her a new Saturn SL2, and we just rolled over what was owed on the Kia into that loan. So we were immediately underwater with that car, too.

ben.gators
09-10-10, 04:08 PM
22% sucks... Most of your monthly payments will go for the interest of the money you owe and little goes for paying back the loan you get in first place... As folks are suggesting take a look to the used car ads, with about 3K$ there are very nice cars out there.... I would suggest 3.8L GM cars too, specially if it is a Buick.

ben.gators
09-10-10, 04:13 PM
When I met her, my ex-wife had a >20% loan on a POS Kia Sephia (she had gone through a Chapter 7, which should have been a huge warning sign for me) that was worth less than half of what she owed and was falling apart. There was no way she would ever recover from that financially. So, being newly in love and getting married, I bought her a new Saturn SL2, and we just rolled over what was owed on the Kia into that loan. So we were immediately underwater with that car, too.

I have an uncle who says before falling in love with a girl check her credit! :D

orconn
09-10-10, 04:31 PM
I have an uncle who says before falling in love with a girl check her credit! :D

A wise policy ... but it would be the last thing I checked!

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 04:56 PM
mine was a Chapter 7 i owed about 55k that i filed on

Agreed. I joined a local credit union when I bought my Seville, got pre-approved at 7.5% and went into the dealer with approved financing in hand.

Was it Chapter 7 or 13? If it was Chapter 13 where you repaid at least some of what you owed, it's not as big a ding on your credit.

Thanks to my divorce from a woman who spent money like there was no tomorrow, I was forced to file Chapter 13 and repaid >$15,000 in three years. Mine was discharged in November, 2008, and I bought the Seville in February, 2009. It probably helps that I have a pretty secure job and make decent money. And my credit score is now solidly in the average range.

Jesda's suggestion to look for a cash car isn't a bad one if you can save up $3,000-$4,000. Or, if you can make a 50% down payment on one, then you might be able to get financing on more favorable terms.

ben.gators
09-10-10, 05:02 PM
A wise policy ... but it would be the last thing I checked!
ha ha ha, yeah... that is right. there are much more important things to check before getting to this stage!

johnny kannapo
09-10-10, 08:36 PM
For that money you could get a CPO Impala SS. It's the same car, only better looking IMO. Plus with the SS you get 5.3L and 303hp of goodness without much of MPG penalty.

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!!g,MqlgCWE~$%28KGrHqV,!jcE%29pe,0U4SBMdHOgiUyQ~~_ 4.JPG Thats a good comparison, same platform with a LS5 motor it's difficult to deny the 3.8 is dated 50 years. If you can't find a good V8 you want a 4 cammer V6

ThumperPup
09-10-10, 09:17 PM
One of the Dealers just called me back a little bit ago saying that they got aprove on 3 cars they have on there lots for me if i can put 1500 down they have a 2001 Impala LS fully loaded i think they said 75k on that

they have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS
with 105k

and a 2002 old Aurora with 63k its got the 3.5 liter

what do yall think of these 3 rides ?

they are all price rang between 6400 and 7999 also i think they said id get a 2 year 24k warranty with all 3 of them but for me 24k would be up in a year

but does the 2002 auror 3.5 motor have that same problem we have in are N's ? or was that just the 4.0 aurora motor someone ones toldm e was the same ?

Playdrv4me
09-11-10, 01:53 AM
If your SLS truly has a cracked block, then Bars Stop Leak won't get you through another Michigan winter.
Considering your recent bancruptcy discharge, why not stay away from incurring more debt on a depreciating asset
and consider more basic transportation for the short term?

If you need to maintain comfort, the group consensus would be a 3.8L Lesabre, Regal, Impala, Bonneville, etc.
My repair history on a 5 yr old Lesabre consisted of an intake manifold gasket, and a bad ignition switch.
Good gas mileage, comfortable ride, lots of interior room.
I still have a 98 Maxima GLE. Fast, smooth, nice near luxury level car.
In 12 years, I've done normal repairs, plus a knock sensor.... the car really insists on premium fuel.
You have so many good options for $5k, if you can qualify for a small personal loan.

20% interest on any used car loan has danger signs written all over it ... you're stacking the odds against you with
massive negative equity.

Good luck .... many of us have been in your situation, and it only gets better with time.

Ted and Mike are definitely right about the financing. I would go with a cash 3800 car any day over a 22 percent loan. However I also know how difficult it is to avoid the allure of a car you have your eye on when they say "you're financed". I have a feeling you are probably going to do it regardless, so just make sure you get into something you actually want.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 10:08 AM
something els i was thinking about just to make sure it gets threw a few months untill i get the money for it to get fixed i was also thinking maybe since i saw where the crack was i dont think it would need to come out for a machina shop or a welder to weld it or put a patch on there just to last a few months and hope it works so i was thinking if they could do that without damaging anyting els wher ethe crack is then maybe i might just have it patched welded for a few months

Jesda
09-11-10, 02:26 PM
something els i was thinking about just to make sure it gets threw a few months untill i get the money for it to get fixed i was also thinking maybe since i saw where the crack was i dont think it would need to come out for a machina shop or a welder to weld it or put a patch on there just to last a few months and hope it works so i was thinking if they could do that without damaging anyting els wher ethe crack is then maybe i might just have it patched welded for a few months

Huh?

I like turtles.

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 09:10 PM
what i was saying is how about having the spot where the crack on the block is welded maybe even have a patch sheet metal or stel or something welded on just to give it that extra time untill i can get it replace any thouts on that ?

hueterm
09-11-10, 09:18 PM
I don't know, but if something that easy worked, I would think it would be a more popular repair...

ThumperPup
09-11-10, 09:39 PM
well im not even sure anyon ever though of it and also not thinking aoput it for a perm fix just looking for something that might help better then the bars stop leak something that might just get me threw 2 or 3 months

ben.gators
09-12-10, 11:08 PM
One of the Dealers just called me back a little bit ago saying that they got aprove on 3 cars they have on there lots for me if i can put 1500 down they have a 2001 Impala LS fully loaded i think they said 75k on that

they have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS
with 105k

and a 2002 old Aurora with 63k its got the 3.5 liter

what do yall think of these 3 rides ?

they are all price rang between 6400 and 7999 also i think they said id get a 2 year 24k warranty with all 3 of them but for me 24k would be up in a year

but does the 2002 auror 3.5 motor have that same problem we have in are N's ? or was that just the 4.0 aurora motor someone ones toldm e was the same ?

I consider all of these cars as cash cars that do not deserve going under financing charges and commitment.... And he is asking too much for these cars... Do a simple Craigslist search for these cars and you will find a bunch of them for almost half of the price the dealer is asking!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-10, 11:12 PM
From what I hear in the business, JB makes a great cooling system stop leak. I have a client that had a customer with a 2.4L Caravan, and the backside of the headgasket was leaking so bad that coolant was literally running down the block and onto the floor in his shop. He dumped a container of the JB stuff into his radiator and it had sealed it's self up dry within 30 minutes.

ThumperPup
09-13-10, 12:09 AM
I consider all of these cars as cash cars that do not deserve going under financing charges and commitment.... And he is asking too much for these cars... Do a simple Craigslist search for these cars and you will find a bunch of them for almost half of the price the dealer is asking!

If i had 3 or 4k sitting around i would consider those cash cars also and pick them up on CL for abotu that price but i dont so for me to get a decent care i have to take what i can get
yeah if i have 3999 or 4999 i saw some of the last body style auroras and old body style Impalas with like 90-150k on them for like 4-to 5 k but im not rich and considering i just put my last 2k into this caddy and well have 1500 in cash saved up about half of waht it would cost me to fix the caddy again i can only do what i can do
so im leaning tords fixing it unless i come across a real savoir of a car that inpresses me for abotu 2grand but not liklys

ThumperPup
09-13-10, 12:10 AM
From what I hear in the business, JB makes a great cooling system stop leak. I have a client that had a customer with a 2.4L Caravan, and the backside of the headgasket was leaking so bad that coolant was literally running down the block and onto the floor in his shop. He dumped a container of the JB stuff into his radiator and it had sealed it's self up dry within 30 minutes.

So for the Bars Stock leak has been working but not sure how long that stuff will hold up for i have had some say that it might hold for a few weeks if i dont do hevy driving and some say it might hold longer so if it stops holding then ill try something difrant but hoping i can hold this off for 2 months atleast till i get more money and all