: 1983 Coupe deVille: what GM platform

glass6t
09-08-10, 07:47 PM
I am talking to a friend about various projects with the caddy, specifically the front suspension, and he referred t it as an "A body". I assume he means the GM platform reference. I haven't seen anything to indicate whether it's an A or anything else.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Thanks,

Rick

jayoldschool
09-08-10, 07:51 PM
C body, later renamed D body. Shared components with the B body, as well as the mid 70s Chevelle/Monte Carlo.

CBodyFan
09-08-10, 11:04 PM
Everything I have ever read, until just recently, has stated that the 1977-84 "B" and "C" bodies were all new designs. Now, out of the blue, and not just here, people are claiming that the downsized "B" and "C" bodies use the 1973-77 "A" body chassis. While there are usually some carry over parts in any new design I do not think that is true. Though the 1973 "A" sedan/wagon had a 116" wb and the Chevrolet/Olds "B" claimed a nominal 116" wb (Buick and Pontiac originally used 115.9" as the wb measurement in their literature) I do not believe the downsized full-size models actually used the old mid-size chassis with new sheet metal. The old chassis, brought out with the 1968 models and rebodied in 1973 was designed using standard measurements while the 1977 "B" and "C" were designed using metric measurements. I think this is the birthing of a new urban legend.

Bro-Ham
09-08-10, 11:59 PM
A cars were mid sized. The 1982 Celebrity/century/ciera/6000 were A-cars. If the A car referred to as a 1973 new model then it was the Chevelle/Cutlass/Century/Lemans that were introduced that year. Big Cads were C cars and after they were not known as that I stopped knowing those cars in my book. :)

Aron9000
09-09-10, 01:46 AM
In later years, the big Caddy's were known as D bodies, same thing as a Caprice/Roadmaster B body, but with extra long wheelbase.