: I found the oil leak on my Bro'

water walkin warrior
09-08-10, 01:14 PM
I was concerned that the whole oil pan would need to be replaced due to a leak. I had it up the some ramps this weekend, cleaned the bottom off and ran the car to see where the leak started and it turns out the pan is ok. Instead, it's a small spot up right under the front spark plug on the drivers side. Soooo, I'm not sure where to go from here. I didn't think to get a picture of it. Maybe I'll take one this next weekend when I plan on changing the oil myself. It looks like the oil starts to bubble out in a small crack or something, then runs down over the middle of the frame, down the side of the engine to another spot, and eventually down over the oil filter. It really makes a mess after a while and has stained our garage and drive way pretty bad. The car smells like burnt oil after I've driven it for more than 15-20 minutes. I'm gonna have a mechanic take a look at it to see what can be done. I'll also post a picture on here to get the Cadillac experts opinions.

sven914
09-08-10, 02:30 PM
You're either looking at a new valve cover gasket or a new head. The word "crack" leads me to think the cylinder head is cracked and needs replaced. Another possibility would be the head gasket, but that would more cause a coolant leak than anything else. Have you noticed any oil in the coolant?

water walkin warrior
09-08-10, 03:59 PM
No oil in the coolant as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if it's actually a crack or not. The oil starts to bubble out though, so it's a small enough hole that the oil isn't just running out. I'll try to get a picture of it. If it's the cylinder head, is that pretty bad...or just a matter of finding one in a junkyard and replacing it myself?

sven914
09-08-10, 05:06 PM
Replacing the a cylinder head is pretty comprehensive (you have to take apart the entire top end of the engine) and you're not likely to find a usable head in the junkyard.

water walkin warrior
09-17-10, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking about trying some JB Weld on the spot that seems to be leaking. I gotta do something. Everytime I stop at a light after driving for about 15 - 20 minutes, smoke from burning oil on the outside of the engine starts coming from under the car. It takes any class and elegance the car has away in one sight and smell. Has anyone else had any success with JB Weld on possibly cracked cylinder head? It's supposed to work for up to 600 Degrees F.

outsider
09-17-10, 01:30 PM
I don't know if JB Weld would be a good idea...there's no telling how bad the crack is or what other damage has occurred inside the head. But if the oil has no coolant in it and the coolant has no oil in it then it shouldn't be too bad.

jayoldschool
09-17-10, 07:53 PM
I'll bet ten bucks that your problem is a leaking rear seal on your intake manifold.

water walkin warrior
09-20-10, 02:50 PM
You may be right. When working on it this weekend. I really didn't see any cracks. Hallelujah! lol So, I'll just have to change the seal and see if that does it. How labor intensive is that...or should I even ask?

jayoldschool
09-20-10, 04:08 PM
Well, before you do that, you would want to actually confirm that is the problem. With the engine cold, reach down the back of the engine and feel where the intake meets the block. Under the EGR valve. If it is oily, you have likely found your problem. Labour? Well... at least a few hours if you work quickly and know what you are doing.