: We knew it would happen - Hyundai is moving up....

Night Wolf
09-08-10, 02:07 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/2011-hyundai-equus-review/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-08-10, 02:52 PM
I'm very much excited for this!

hueterm
09-08-10, 03:02 PM
Fail...they need ZERO H Hunday logos on it. They need the same logo on the wheel to be on the trunk -- and they SO need that bird on the hood. I would be ordering one of those from eBay Korea and having it put on.

The car is sweet, though...

orconn
09-08-10, 05:38 PM
Until South Korea reduces its import tariff on American cars from 8% to 2% (2% is what the U.S. charges on imports) I wouldn't think of buying a Korean car. South Korea has long since needed the protection from imports in its' domestic market and until this trade inequity is rectifide Korea automobiles will be off my list of cars. The same goes for Japanese cars. The United States needs to rebuild its domestic production capabilities, as long as we allow developed economies to take advantage of outdated tariff inequities with our trading partners we will see our products .... unjustly disadvantaged in foreign markets.

CIWS
09-08-10, 06:52 PM
Hyundai is going to have to come up with a separate luxury division if they really want to participate in the market.

The Tony Show
09-08-10, 07:04 PM
Until South Korea reduces its import tariff on American cars from 8% to 2% (2% is what the U.S. charges on imports) I wouldn't think of buying a Korean car. South Korea has long since needed the protection from imports in its' domestic market and until this trade inequity is rectifide Korea automobiles will be off my list of cars. The same goes for Japanese cars. The United States needs to rebuild its domestic production capabilities, as long as we allow developed economies to take advantage of outdated tariff inequities with our trading partners we will see our products .... unjustly disadvantaged in foreign markets.

Thank you. The same goes for the Japanese in my book. Toyota doesn't dominate the market there because of quality- it's because a similarly equipped Chevy costs as much there as a Cadillac, while a Cadillac sells for Rolls money (something like $70,000 for a CTS).

Foreign carmakers can crow all they want about a "global economy", but the reality is that America charges the lowest tariffs of any country in the world on imported cars. Other countries price American imports right out of the market on their home turf, and then smile all the way to the bank while flooding our shores with their product.

Lord Cadillac
09-08-10, 07:54 PM
I agree with Tony and Orconn.. In any event, the car is very, very impressive. I'd explode with joy if Cadillac had a Hyundai Equus. I sat in the car last year and it's hands down the best deal you can get on a full-size luxury car for the money...

77CDV
09-08-10, 11:02 PM
It will be an even better deal used.

Aron9000
09-09-10, 02:01 AM
They despertly need to change the name.

Equus reminds me of that really strange play and a naked Daniel Radcliff.

hueterm
09-09-10, 02:27 AM
Now you've spoiled it for the rest of us.....

Night Wolf
09-09-10, 08:26 AM
I think equally impressive of the car is how they plan to "eliminate the dealer" with the Hyundai-supplied iPad along with pickup service and replacement car.

iowasevillests
09-09-10, 12:41 PM
To me the whole eliminate the dealer part says that they need a new brand because they don't want the customers spending 50+ on a Equus intereacting with the dealer for one of two reasons: Either they don't feel the in store experience is up to the expectation when compared to a BMW dealer or the other customers that the Equus owner would encounter while at the dealership isn't the type of customer an Equus owner wants to socialize/share a waiting room with.

I'm in agreement with the others though, if they want to take a serious run at Lexus/Caddy/BMW etc they need a new brand and a different dealer experience then the Hyundai badge can get them. Creating that brand is enormously expensive but I don't see any way they can seriously expect to take market share on a 50K plus car when they have a giant H on the steering wheel.

orconn
09-09-10, 12:46 PM
I also agree, they should ditch the "Equus;" even if you haven't seen the play it is still a lame name! The "dealer avoid" idea probably won't last long because if will cost the dealers too much .... and apparently it will still be a Hyundai dealer with all the "lesser folks" to contend with eventually. A good stab at country ckub one upmanship, but probably not a lomg term benefit. Don't do away with the hood ornament, but replacement the Asian version with a $ dollar sign for the U.S. market and rename the car Mc Duck!

Destroyer
09-09-10, 11:06 PM
Either they don't feel the in store experience is up to the expectation when compared to a BMW dealer or the other customers that the Equus owner would encounter while at the dealership isn't the type of customer an Equus owner wants to socialize/share a waiting room with.Damn, that is just wrong but probably true. :bonkers:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-10-10, 12:17 AM
Damn, that is just wrong but probably true. :bonkers:

No, that's exactly true. That's why you rarely ever see a Cadillac franchise with a Chevy franchise, or a Mercedes franchise with a Toyota franchise. Luxury owners like to be pampered and feel exclusive.

orconn
09-10-10, 12:20 AM
No, that's exactly true. That's why you rarely ever see a Cadillac franchise with a Chevy franchise, or a Mercedes franchise with a Toyota franchise. Luxury owners like to be pampered and feel exclusive.

You are damn right they do!

Night Wolf
09-10-10, 01:11 AM

..... but anytime I see a Cadillac dealer it is boxed in with Chevy or now-gone Pontiac also GMC and Buick....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-10-10, 01:33 AM
That's weird. I thought Cadillac corporate had a statement saying they were going to to separate all their franchises from other GM franchises.

77CDV
09-10-10, 03:01 AM
Going forward that's true. Back in the days of yore, Cadillac was most often paired with Oldsmobile when it wasn't a stand-alone.

orconn
09-10-10, 03:17 PM
It all depends on where the Cadillac store was located. If the locale could support a standalone agency (Pasadena, CA, L.A., Philadelphia, etc) if the franchise was located in an area that served a broader spectrum of socio-economic levels (Cambridge, Ohio, Richmond, VA) then the store was either a multi brand GM store or lately a multi brand complex. It has been this way since at least the 1950's and has always depended on the potential market for Cadillacs within a certain radius of the agency.

Destroyer
09-10-10, 10:56 PM
No, that's exactly true. That's why you rarely ever see a Cadillac franchise with a Chevy franchise, or a Mercedes franchise with a Toyota franchise. Luxury owners like to be pampered and feel exclusive.Perhaps but let's analyze this a little better. The richer person that drives a newer luxury car does not want to socialize with the blue collar guy that drives a cheap Hyundai or Ford or whatever. Ok. So he's got this new Cadillac (for example) and goes to the Cadillac dealership for service. In the waiting room is a kid with a '92 Cadillac getting it serviced as well (we will call him Chad). Are they both on the same economic and social level? Maybe, maybe not but Chad paid under $2k for his car while the richer guy paid over $70k for his and yet they both wound up in the same waiting room in the same dealership. If this is so, why can't the owner of a $50k Hyundai and the owner of a $15k Hyundai spend time in the same waiting room watching the news? If I need work done by a dealership I will take my '03 Jaguar XJ8 to the dealer. Even if I paid only $6k for it the owner of a new $80k model will still have to sit next to me.................

orconn
09-11-10, 12:28 AM
Most people buying a $60,000. and up car are also buying the prestige of owning that expensive vehicle. They want the agency selling and repairing their expensive car to reinforce the feeling of prestige they derive from owning the car. I don't think it is the socio-economic class of those in the waiting the waiting room (i don't ever remember the sales people for Cadillacs or Rolls-Royces or Mercedes ever as for social status of the byers of their cars, ability to pay perhaps, but where they lived, their status in the community ....never! So one will never be sure whom they will be seated next in the waiting room of your local Mercedes dealer, but if the person has purchase a new Mercedes, you can bet some lender thinks he is credit worthy for some kind of finacing for the car. Up until recently a person with a middle income income could qualify to lease some very expensive cars and regardless of whether his middle class income was derived from white collar work or some blue collar toil we could well be in his presence while getting our expensive car fixed at a dealership.

I think the separation of, let's face it, the "prestige" brands from lesser makes is to reinforce the exclusiveness of the brand and has nothing to do with the potential "snobbishness" of a segment of their clientele. With the prices that "prestige" dealerships charge to work on their customer's car I am sure they are very happy to accept the copious "Ca-ching" regardless of its' perceived source (legal or illegal)!

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:46 AM
In the waiting room is a kid with a '92 Cadillac getting it serviced as well (we will call him Chad).

This may well be the funniest thing I've ever read posted on here!

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:48 AM
I NEVER sit in the f-in waiting room.

My ass is in the dealer shuttle taking me home to get another car. I've single-handedly paid for that shuttle over the past few years.....

gary88
09-11-10, 12:58 AM
..... but anytime I see a Cadillac dealer it is boxed in with Chevy or now-gone Pontiac also GMC and Buick....

The dealer I used to take my Seville to used to be Cadillac/Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile got the axe then they became Cadillac/Buick/Pontiac/GMC. Now Pontiac is gone and it's Cadillac/Buick/GMC.

orconn
09-11-10, 12:58 AM
I NEVER sit in the f-in waiting room.

My ass is in the dealer shuttle taking me home to get another car. I've single-handedly paid for that shuttle over the past few years.....

Right you are! and you should enjoy the "haute couture" ambience that you have paid so dearly for! Who knows you might meet rich chick looking for companionship ..... nah, not likely at a Cadillaac dealer. Not likely at a Hyundai dealer either!

hueterm
09-11-10, 01:04 AM
No, this is at a pretty rundown Chevy dealer. They are going to build another one but it probably won't open for a year or more. Would that the Chevy dealer were as nice as the Hyundai dealer...

Bentonville is getting a Cadillac dealer next year, but I'll still go to the Chevy dealer, I think for the ones I have. Now, my '09 CPO STS-V that will be coming along in '12 when the EXT is paid off -- that will go to the Cadillac dealer....

thebigjimsho
09-12-10, 10:25 PM
I might buy an Equus to replace my piece of crap Town Car...

orconn
09-13-10, 12:11 AM
^^^ How would that sit with your clientele?

thebigjimsho
09-14-10, 10:07 AM
^^^ How would that sit with your clientele?
True, some might actually not notice they are sitting on leatherette in a car that takes bumps like a pickup truck. And they're also pleased that their driver has, or has installed, their own GPS since that's not even an option. And the weak and inconsistent A/C is only noticeable on the hottest days or when the blend door actuators quit, sometimes as soon as 8,000 miles.

Yep, some may think the Town Car is perfectly fine even with those foibles. But since my '04 TC had supreme quality to my '07, I'm petrified to see what the '11s are like. Which is why I'm waiting to replace the TC until the Equus comes out...

orconn
09-14-10, 06:04 PM
Who is currently making a car with the rearseat headroom and space needed for livery service? I seems all the luxury sedans have adopted the "coupe" roof line which combined with the high sides give a really claustrophic feel to the back seat area.

Jailtime
09-15-10, 04:13 PM
Take away the flashy front end, and it looks like an Elantra in that first pic. Don't like those character lines in the sides.