: Removing EGR on northstar

drewb612
09-11-04, 04:06 PM
The EGR sits right behind the TB with plug going into the top, the black looking can right? Well i took the two bolts off on it and i cant seem to figure out how to remove it, i need to clean it so this is important, any tips?

JimD
09-11-04, 06:25 PM
You might have to tap it sideways with a wooden tool to persuade it to break loose.

drewb612
09-11-04, 11:54 PM
would a hammer work, could i break it?

growe3
09-12-04, 12:14 AM
It is just sticking to the gasket. Careful tapping with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood to cushion a hammer will loosen it. Use care to avoid bending the metal rod that protrudes from it, on the inside.

-George

Anthony Cipriano
09-12-04, 01:25 AM
The EGR sits right behind the TB with plug going into the top, the black looking can right? Well i took the two bolts off on it and i cant seem to figure out how to remove it, i need to clean it so this is important, any tips?

Did you take the bolts out completely or just the two nuts off? There are two stud headed bolts holding the EGR valve on. There are then other brackets and/or a shield that is help on to the stud headed bolts by two nuts. You have to remove the two nuts first, then remove the shield and/or brackets and then remove the two bolts. The hexes for the bolts are obvious once the shield is removed.

It sounds like you haven't removed the bolts yet, just the nuts. You shouldn't have to do anything forceful to remove the EGR once the fasteners holding it on are removed. Don't hit it with a hammer or anything to loosen it. Find out what's holding it.

Ranger
09-12-04, 01:26 AM
If I remember correctly one side of it has a nut on it. The other side is a stud. The nut on top of the stud holds the fuel line. After that nut is removed you then need to remove the stud. Then it should lift off.
Never mind. We posted at the same time. Listen to Anthony Cipriano.

drewb612
09-12-04, 10:55 AM
this is my project for monday, thanks!

growe3
09-12-04, 02:49 PM
You don't note what year car you are working on, but I think the Northstars are all about the same as per the EGR Valve.

Try looking at the image I have from the 1993 manual. The link below will go to my web storage site.

Northstar EGR Image and Notes (http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/growe3@pacbell.net/lst?.dir=/1993+Cadillac+STS+Information/EGR+Info&.view=l)

-George

drewb612
09-12-04, 05:08 PM
ill take a look, thanks

drewb612
09-13-04, 06:08 PM
well i see the last bolt holding it on, but the fuel line thing is in the way and i cant get it off, any tips?

Ranger
09-14-04, 01:21 AM
A little gentle persuasion worked for me. There is a little flex in the fuel line. Just push it over a bit. As I recall it only took a 1/4" or so. You may have to loosen a fuel line mount.

Wolfpath2004
11-29-04, 07:57 PM
Ranger is right. i just moved the fuel line over a bit. then you should be able to get to the stud.

Ranger
11-29-04, 08:49 PM
I just had my SS fuel rail installed. I'm afraid the next time won't be so easy.

haymaker
11-29-04, 09:37 PM
I just had my SS fuel rail installed. I'm afraid the next time won't be so easy.
It is a lot more work to remove the EGR after the SS recall installation. The little bit of give that was in the old plastic fuel rail to lift the retaining plate off the EGR stud-bolt is no longer there with the SS rail.
I again, removed and cleaned my EGR two weeks ago. This time after the SS fuel rail installation. I needed to remove the new SS fuel rail to remove the inside EGR retaining stud- bolt. I tried to just remove the SS retaining bolts at the intake and pull the front (closest to the EGR) side up just enough to removed the remaining EGR stud-bolt but by that time the entire SS fuel rail was removed. It takes three times as long to remove the EGR as before when the old plastic fuel rail was on the engine.
One good thing I found was that the new rail comes off and installs a lot easier than the old plastic rail with all itís retainers. Too bad they didnít drop the SS retaining plate down 5/16Ē at the EGR and replace the stud-bolt with a standard bolt and washer. That would have made the EGR removal easier than before.

Ranger
11-29-04, 09:56 PM
It is a lot more work to remove the EGR after the SS recall installation. The little bit of give that was in the old plastic fuel rail to lift the retaining plate off the EGR stud-bolt is no longer there with the SS rail.
I again, removed and cleaned my EGR two weeks ago. This time after the SS fuel rail installation. I needed to remove the new SS fuel rail to remove the inside EGR retaining stud- bolt. I tried to just remove the SS retaining bolts at the intake and pull the front (closest to the EGR) side up just enough to removed the remaining EGR stud-bolt but by that time the entire SS fuel rail was removed. It takes three times as long to remove the EGR as before when the old plastic fuel rail was on the engine.
One good thing I found was that the new rail comes off and installs a lot easier than the old plastic rail with all itís retainers. Too bad they didnít drop the SS retaining plate down 5/16Ē at the EGR and replace the stud-bolt with a standard bolt and washer. That would have made the EGR removal easier than before.
Hmm, sounds like a little modification is in order the next time I have to remove the EGR. In all reality though, I may never need to do it again. I did mine last summer (03) with about 75K on the car and it was no worse than light soot, so I probably will not touch it again til it acts up or throws a code.

Anthony Cipriano
11-30-04, 02:50 PM
You don't note what year car you are working on, but I think the Northstars are all about the same as per the EGR Valve.

Try looking at the image I have from the 1993 manual. The link below will go to my web storage site.

Northstar EGR Image and Notes (http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/growe3@pacbell.net/lst?.dir=/1993+Cadillac+STS+Information/EGR+Info&.view=l)

-George

Nice pictures but good only for a 93/94 for specifics. The 95 and later engines with the external fuel rail have stud headed bolts with a heavy duty metal shield around the EGR and an attachement for the fuel rail support/mounting bracket. The 93/94 with the fuel rail inside the intake manifold does not have this.