: battery cable repair

brad3378
09-11-04, 04:15 PM
I'd like to know if it is possible to repair or replace the battery side of my positive battery cable without replacing the entire cable.

As you know, the starter motor is below the intake manifold, so I'd like to avoid replacing the entire cable if possible. I had a good look at the starter motor side not long ago when I replaced headgaskets, so I'm not worried about that side of the cable.

any suggestions?

growe3
09-12-04, 01:10 AM
There are cable end repair terminals at most auto parts stores. You would just cut off the end and replace it with the new one. Don't cut of any more cable than is necessary or you may have trouble reconnecting it.

Unless the cable end is absolutly trashed, you can just clean it and the battery terminal, with soap and water and a brass scrub brush. Scrub until the metel is clean and bright. Don't forget to clean the negative cable and terminal.

-George

dkozloski
09-12-04, 01:20 AM
For the best repair find someone in your area that can replace the cable terminal with one that crimps on. This is a much better repair.

kcnewell
09-12-04, 02:43 AM
Buy one of the generic, short battery cables that fits your battery terminal and then cut the cable and splice the new connector onto it by cutting the cable of the new terminal. Stripping the insulation, soldering or mechanically crimping the two cables at the splice and then insulating with the proper tape does the job.