: Starter mounting bolt

rnunez76
09-07-10, 11:39 AM
I recently had an issue with my starter and found it to be a starter bolt missing which left the starter loose on the housing. I need to buy a new bolt for the missing one but i don't know the size. are both bolts the same size? if so i was planning on heading over to HD and gettin a bolt from there later today.

deVille33
09-11-10, 08:15 AM
Bolt dimension depends on the rear housing of your starter. You should be able to determine which bolt you need looking at the starter end housing. If your starter is hanging on one bolt, your better off replacing both bolts. The bolts are either knurled or striped to maintain a fit to the housing bores.

csbuckn
09-11-10, 12:44 PM
They sell starter bolt kits at the stores. But whats with the starter bolts anyway? Why are they a special design with the crossmarks and such?

YourMainParadox
09-11-10, 01:58 PM
they are both different lengths. I am not sure of the thread size though. There are actually 3 on my 73

deVille33
09-12-10, 08:50 AM
Starter bolts are 3/8x16x length. If I had my parts book here, I could get you the parts #s. You'll sometimes find them on a Help! board. The strations and knurling are there to ensure a tight fit in the starter end housing bolt bores for alignment purposes. The 3-hole starter end housing is a rare find, usually found on HD applications. It cast iron rather than aluminum.