: sunamabeech failed emissions.....

robb257731
09-07-10, 09:00 AM
Argh...just got a call from the garage and my 91 failed the 'Drive Clean' emissions (aka government cash grab) test. It failed on hydrocarbons and CO. It passed last year, and that was BEFORE it had a complete tune up and new exhaust. WTF?!?:want::banghead:

outsider
09-07-10, 09:20 AM
That's weird...I don't think my cars have to go through that stuff here in maine...what can you do to correct it?

robb257731
09-07-10, 09:36 AM
That's the frustrating issue...because this is a total Government cash grab, I have to have it tested in order to have it on the road. The initial test is $35.00 plus tax, which is a pissoff because the whole goddam thing is a tax in the first place. Because the car failed, I can either a) take it off the road, or b) pay to have an inspection done to diagnose WHY it failed. That's $188.00. As soon as they do the test, they can give it a conditional pass EVEN IF I DON'T FIX THE PROBLEM depending on the amount it costs to fix (you can get an exemption if it's going to cost more than $450 which will include the $188.00 cost of the inspection). So if it needs a new catalyitic, I don't need to do it, and can still drive it around even though it failed the emissions test. Then when it needs re-testing in two years, I have to go through the whole process again, and if it fails again, I can get another conditional pass. That being said, I can't SELL the car without it being able to pass the test. What a load of sh*t.

robb257731
09-07-10, 09:45 AM
I'm ranting, I know....bear with me. Here's the best part...I'm looking at the Drive Clean website just to make my day better....

"If a Drive Clean facility estimates that required repairs will cost less than $450 (as in most cases) you must have them done before a retest.

If a Drive Clean diagnostic determines that repairs will cost more than $450.00 you can have your vehicle fully repaired or used the RCL (repair cost limit). Under the RCL, you will only require as many repairs to improve vehicle emissions as can be done for up to $450.

If you have a single problem that cannot be corrected for $450, the vehicle can qualify for the RCL without any repairs.

In all cases, your vehicle will need a retest to record any change in emissions from its first test. If your vehicle fails the retest, it will qualify for a Conditional Pass."

outsider
09-07-10, 09:48 AM
wow that's just stupid! Here in maine, you get an inspection done...$10 to $15...Then if you pass, fine. If you fail, they tell you what needs to be fixed and you have like a month to fix them...seems pretty stupid that they will give you an exemption if it's too expensive to fix your car! haha.

robb257731
09-07-10, 10:02 AM
The thing that cheeses me off the most is that the car doesn't even have 10,000km put on it a year...it goes maybe 5000km/3100 miles max.

Now take a look at the thousands of taxi cabs chugging alongon the road....sh*tty old Crown Vics and Caprices with god knows how many miles on them. I'm sure 90% of them are on conditional passes.

I'd say I need a coffee, but that would just make things waaaaay worse. LOL.

robb257731
09-07-10, 12:07 PM
Apparently the lower intake manifold gasket needs replacing....19 years and it's worn out. Fair enough I guess.

I wonder what's next?!?

robb257731
09-07-10, 12:37 PM
Okay...have calmed down.

I can't afford to have the car fixed this month, and noting I can get the conditional due to the repair limit cost, that's what I'm going to do.

Will it hurt anything if I drive the car with the leaking manifold gasket, or should I park it until I can have it repaired?

I was going to go ahead and have it fixed, but my daily driver needs new tires, which will likely cost more than the quote on the manifold gasket repair.

albymangled
09-07-10, 06:36 PM
Im surprised its a leaking intake gasket thats making your car blow too much cos lets face it, its leaking air in...

drive it around now that you know you have a relatively minor problem (until it becomes a major problem?)....?

I think we both know the correct answer to that one.

sven914
09-07-10, 09:46 PM
The intake leak is just a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks cause a lean fuel mixture. And a lean mixture causes high hydrocarbon emissions. You're not damaging anything by driving with an air leak (except the ozone layer).

robb257731
09-07-10, 10:29 PM
Full speed ahead!!!!

Robin Banx
09-09-10, 12:50 AM
Wow...... Am I ever glad I don't live in Ontari-ari-O

Cheers......R.

robb257731
09-09-10, 11:05 AM
LOL, I haven't heard that in awhile.
Wow...... Am I ever glad I don't live in Ontari-ari-O

Cheers......R.

occupant
09-09-10, 12:47 PM
Being out of emissions inspection areas is one of the primary reasons I had to move here. My wife had all these other silly reasons like cost of living, school quality, crime rates, and cheap housing. But I wanted to have the $15 safety only inspections. Got lights, horn, wipers, blinkers, mostly unbroken glass, safe tires, and brakes that pretty much work? You're good to go! I've got a Cutlass Ciera the high beam switch doesn't work in because the column was broken into once (and repaired) and they pass me anyway because I showed them I can stick my finger under the column and activate them. My Torino's backup lights don't work. They don't care. The hazard flashers don't blink on the dash lights (but work outside). Sticker that car, it's a GOOD ONE!

I feel for you. LIM gasket is easy enough to do, I'd get it done to save on oil and fuel and have better drivability.

The-Dullahan
09-10-10, 01:44 AM
Florida has no inspections, because it is a backwards state. In Pennsylvania, the yearly inspection yielded that emissions was every five[?] years (maybe four?) and I recall it being just as slimy of a process up there. A brand new car would "fail" these tests if the garage felt like it. Some garages up there would also tamper with one thing whilst "fixing" another, so you would come back. You can do like one of my former bosses and show up with a a big wolfhound and wait in beside the garage with a bat while the test is being performed. Later on, with her husband's passing my then only boss never had a problem with emissions and she owned a number of vehicles. Most of them were beyond the limit where they needed to be tested, but of all her times getting inspection with the others, not one time did anything fail. Now, I know most cars brought there NEVER failed anything and she also kept excellent care of her automobiles, but most clients who brought their otherwise perfect cars in had reports of something not passing, but she never had a problem. May haps the best remedy to Shady Industry is Shady Business.

robb257731
09-10-10, 08:58 AM
It'll get fixed eventually....once I get tires for the daily, and then recover from that.