: How many have really failed

luvoldcaddybuthate03
09-07-10, 12:53 AM
Just want to know.....out of total production of N* how many have had bad HG's?

Seems to me alot!! I've had a 2003 lose it's HG's (replaced engine).

Tell me what you think!

Thanks yall!

Submariner409
09-07-10, 12:11 PM
Just want to know.....out of total production of N* how many have had bad HG's?

Seems to me alot!! I've had a 2003 lose it's HG's (replaced engine).

Tell me what you think!

Thanks yall!

Have you read the head gasket poll (non-scientific) at the top of this engine Forum ??? Your question is already answered, average-wise. No way on earth to get total production vs. failure figures, and many different Northstar upgrades and field changes only complicate the "total production" idea.

luvoldcaddybuthate03
09-07-10, 02:35 PM
The poll isn't accurate, you've said so yourself.

It just seems to me that a VERY high percentage of these cars turn to junk after about 60000 to 80000 miles, judgeing by posts here.

terrible for a $45000 plus vehicle!

And GM made NO improvements to the headbolts 2000-2003, at least none that worked!

And we are also starting to see some reports of 2004's blowing HG's also!

That'll be good for Jake!! He has himself a niche market no doubt! More power to him, at least he cares enough to find a solution that works unlike those bums at GM who designed these pieces of shit in the first place!

Such a shame too, big comfortable cars, not styled TOO bad, lots a hi tech neat gadgets, and a giant turd for a engine!

Yes all makers have their problems, but this one ran almost the ENTIRE time GM was making this engine, no wonder trade in value dropped like a rock as soon as you drove it off the lot!

I do love this car(I must after all the grief it has given me!) and WHEN it's replacement engine blows it's gaskets again I'll be giving Jake a call for a set of his studs, Thanks Jake for being there!

But, you GM, if your reading this, you can go to HELL, I'll never be buying another one of your cars ever again!

STSS
09-07-10, 02:44 PM
But, you GM, if your reading this, you can go to HELL, I'll never be buying another one of your cars ever again!

They ain't reading it.....

Submariner409
09-07-10, 04:08 PM
Always remember: 99% of automotive forum members are in there for repair advice. No one comes to a Forum and says "Hi, guys.....my Flapfish RTXb#a 4x4 is perfect with no problems. Later". In Cadillac Forums the percentage of engine failures to overall maintenance problems is pretty small - and compared to total Northstar production the head gasket failure rate reported in here is statistically insignificant.

Of course the poll is inaccurate - it has no controls, no base line, nothing - only reports from disgruntled owners. For instance, find the four different year engine failures posted by scottio, look up his personal profile to see what car he has (had ?) and wonder why he posted 4 different times, thus polluting the poll. (Poll respondents are catalogued in alphabetical order, so it's easy to compare who posted what, and if you click on their username you get to their personal profile.)

zonie77
09-07-10, 05:34 PM
I've told this story a few times, but I'll tell it again. At work a few years ago I walked in on a group of guys talking about cars and specifically HG's, I said "You all have Cadillacs?" They all looked and said "Cadillacs have HG problems too????":helpless: can't decide which of these fits better! :histeric:

All cars have some degree of HG failure, I do think under 100K is too early now.

The biggest complaint I have with the mfg's is they are not stressing the importance of changing coolant early.

luvoldcaddybuthate03
09-07-10, 08:55 PM
The biggest complaint I have with the mfg's is they are not stressing the importance of changing coolant early

I know now!!
Learned the HARD way!!

Thanks for the input guys

AJxtcman
09-07-10, 10:35 PM
The issue on the older Northstar's is the material used in casting the block. In 2000 they change the blend and this was an improvement. When you run a drill into the bolt hole and it come up all powder nothing is going to hold. 2000 to 2003 still have some issues with that they all have with the Deck Design. The bolt hole still rot out, but not as much. I have seen a lot of voids in the blocks all the way up to 2005 FWD blocks. Hey 10 to 1 doesn't help either

N*Caddy
09-07-10, 10:50 PM
I just take a shot in the dark and say maybe 5%-7% for all N* engines had HG issues so far. About 10%-20% of the owners of these cars had posted here complaining about the issue, they probably represent over 30% of the members.

RippyPartsDept
09-07-10, 11:15 PM
maybe up a little bit but sounds plausible to me

and for the record, i've got a 1999 with 125k miles on it and no HG problems *crossed fingers*

Destroyer
09-07-10, 11:16 PM
Always remember: 99% of automotive forum members are in there for repair advice. No one comes to a Forum and says "Hi, guys.....my Flapfish RTXb#a 4x4 is perfect with no problems. Later". In Cadillac Forums the percentage of engine failures to overall maintenance problems is pretty small - and compared to total Northstar production the head gasket failure rate reported in here is statistically insignificant.

Of course the poll is inaccurate - it has no controls, no base line, nothing - only reports from disgruntled owners. For instance, find the four different year engine failures posted by scottio, look up his personal profile to see what car he has (had ?) and wonder why he posted 4 different times, thus polluting the poll. (Poll respondents are catalogued in alphabetical order, so it's easy to compare who posted what, and if you click on their username you get to their personal profile.)Still defending these boat anchors eh Sub? I junked 2 of them in the last week. Felt good!!!

RippyPartsDept
09-07-10, 11:33 PM
we repair head gaskets all the time, we service way more cars than we do head gasket work to...
like i said above i'd agree w/ N*Caddy's guess at failure rate

Submariner409
09-08-10, 08:14 AM
Still defending these boat anchors eh Sub? I junked 2 of them in the last week. Felt good!!!

No, not defending the engines per se - just that the emphasis in CF is Northstar failure because a significant percentage of CF members have, for some reason or another, a car with a Northstar engine. Lurk around in other car forums and it becomes obvious that no matter the make, they all have their problems and horror stories.

drewsdeville
09-08-10, 09:38 AM
:horse:

Destroyer
09-09-10, 10:44 PM
No, not defending the engines per se - just that the emphasis in CF is Northstar failure because a significant percentage of CF members have, for some reason or another, a car with a Northstar engine. Lurk around in other car forums and it becomes obvious that no matter the make, they all have their problems and horror stories.
Well thats true. All makes have their problems and horror stories, just not as bad. You are right, there are a significant percentage of members that have an Northstar motor. Ever wonder why that is? Like you said, they come on here when they have problems. I firmly believe it's the Northstar and H/G issue that made this forum so successful. Most other forums are borderline boring. :cool2:

drewsdeville
09-10-10, 10:22 AM
Well thats true. All makes have their problems and horror stories, just not as bad. You are right, there are a significant percentage of members that have an Northstar motor. Ever wonder why that is? Like you said, they come on here when they have problems. I firmly believe it's the Northstar and H/G issue that made this forum so successful. Most other forums are borderline boring. :cool2:

Well, when you consider that most of the Cadillac lineup has been using the Northstar for the last 17 years, I'd say the probability of there being many Northstar owners on here is high, regardless of problem frequency or type.

There are lots of people on the full sized Ford forum with 4.6's in their cars. Ever wonder why that is? When you answer that, keep in mind that Ford's 4.6 (along with the other modulars) has a stellar reputation for reliability.

You think other boards are boring? Crownvic.net (Ford modulars and panthers that surpass the industry standard for reliability) makes this place seem like a funeral ceremony.

johnny kannapo
09-10-10, 10:56 AM
How many before 75,000mi?

How many before 100,000m?

How many before 150,000mi?