: 1981 Coupe Deville, odd color combo . . .

Aron9000
09-07-10, 12:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Cadillac-Coupe-Deville-Texas-VIDEOS-Clean-Example-/270628106886?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f02b13286#ht_30906wt_1167

So what's the deal with that wacky, yet so awesome navy blue on whore house red leather combo??? I know for damn well sure a dealer wouldn't order something like that for their lot, and I didn't even know Cadillac would let you order one like that.

Anyways, I'm really thinking about buying that thing, possibly getting rid of my 1991.

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 01:21 AM
I like the combo myself...

The-Dullahan
09-07-10, 02:37 AM
Go for it, it's a nice car. I didn't READ the auction, so I do not know what is covered therein but there is always the possibility that he had the car PAINTED that colour. Was that colour even available? Anyhow, I like it. It looks quite nice. And if you are doing it to swap out of your 1991, go for it. I personally always liked that body style a lot more, especially since I rather hate the bodies of the 90's Devilles.

csbuckn
09-07-10, 03:10 AM
Nice, I definately swap my car for that. My bet...it sells for 5800 no less.

Aron9000
09-07-10, 03:10 AM
Looks like the factory colors, the door jambs and trunk jamb are all the same blue. Another couple of odd things I noticed, did Devilles come with those chrome rocker mouldings?? I thought those only came on the Fleetwood Broughams. And it looks like the front seat is a one piece bench with NO RECLINE, don't know how comfortable that would be. But I don't drive with a gansta lean, so it might be just fine.

1980coupe
09-07-10, 06:12 AM
i like it too. i've seen on ebay a green cadillac with the saddle interior and i've seen there also a colonial yellow with the red interior. Odd combinations but yet you can special order them. on the yellow and red, i read that it was ordered like that by an employee who worked with gm so maybe this one too, that would explain the add-on rockers on the deville. i found my 2dr fleetwood rockers on a 77 coupe. never noticed the seats until you pointed them out, but it does have the driver functions on the armrest, so it moves the entire seat? love the "bald" look with no vinyl. who else agrees with me on that?

Bro-Ham
09-07-10, 08:24 AM
Blue and red was not so unusual back in the late 70's/early 80's. I've seen several for sale over the years. My 92 Roadmaster Limited is navy blue with red stripes and it looks nice - I wish my car had that unique red interior! :)

Vinyl top was optional on coupe devilles. I prefer the steel top - very clean. The rocker moldings were most likely added by an enthusiast owner, someone who would keep a 10,000 mile old Cadillac like this one.

If it has a bench seat then it only has a 6-way power driver's seat, a passenger power recliner was optional on notchback bench seats but very rare.

creeker
09-07-10, 01:25 PM
i like it too. i've seen on ebay a green cadillac with the saddle interior and i've seen there also a colonial yellow with the red interior. Odd combinations but yet you can special order them. on the yellow and red, i read that it was ordered like that by an employee who worked with gm so maybe this one too, that would explain the add-on rockers on the deville. i found my 2dr fleetwood rockers on a 77 coupe. never noticed the seats until you pointed them out, but it does have the driver functions on the armrest, so it moves the entire seat? love the "bald" look with no vinyl. who else agrees with me on that?

Yeh, I like that look also, I also like the hub caps instead of the usual wire caps.I wouldn't mind trying that style of cap on my 80 cdv.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-07-10, 06:40 PM
It's very patriotic, and I can see in my mind in 1981 the salesguy questioning the buyer's color combination.

"Navy blue with RED leather interior???? Ok....."

sven914
09-07-10, 09:56 PM
I like it... You get the best of both worlds; the red that all coupes seem to get, mixed in with that deep, almost reserved blue.

Off topic though... Were all '81 de Villes dechromed? I've seen a few de Villes missing the bright work, and now I'm wondering if they were all '81's.

Aron9000
09-08-10, 12:41 AM
Blue and red was not so unusual back in the late 70's/early 80's. I've seen several for sale over the years. My 92 Roadmaster Limited is navy blue with red stripes and it looks nice - I wish my car had that unique red interior! :)

Vinyl top was optional on coupe devilles. I prefer the steel top - very clean. The rocker moldings were most likely added by an enthusiast owner, someone who would keep a 10,000 mile old Cadillac like this one.

If it has a bench seat then it only has a 6-way power driver's seat, a passenger power recliner was optional on notchback bench seats but very rare.

It actually has 110k on it, but damn it sure is pretty. Somebody spent some time detailing under the hood as well, and I'm betting that is not the original paint either. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what the deal is.

Also, how reliable is the motor with the v-4-6-8 thing turned off and running on eight cylinders? I know that was the first year for standard fuel injection, a TBI setup on that car. Should it be as reliable as my 350 with the TBI, or does it have some other weird quirks?

Also, did the base Devilles come with level ride rear suspension???

1980coupe
09-08-10, 01:17 AM
ask then if you're gonna call to give you the trim codes for the car found on a tag riveted to the upper firewall on driver side below wiper arm.
if disconnected i think it'll run just a normal 368 engine would, mine is a 368 but not the v8-6-4 type (hint*1980coupe)
the rear level ride suspension was an option that you can get added on. it didn't come on the devilles, mines a deville (coupe) and it has no rear level ride suspension. might have been stock on other model perhaps?

77CDV
09-08-10, 01:41 AM
Cadillac gave recommendations on which exterior and interior colors to pair up. If a buyer really wanted a combination that wasn't on the recommended list, the salesman would mark the order "color trim sure" to indicate that the buyer understood that the desired combination wasn't advised and wanted it anyway.

Although, as Dave says, dark blue/bright red wasn't unheard of back then. Not exactly common, but not wackoville, either.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-08-10, 11:55 AM
I really wish I had a picture of that '82 Electra Park Avenue that was that pasty yellow with the blue velour interior. Now that was wackoville! :D

Bro-Ham
09-08-10, 12:34 PM
On GM cars in 1983/1984, color #59 Cream Beige, was regularly paired with an interior and/or vinyl top that was either dark brown, dark burgundy, or dark blue. I saw a ton of the beige/blue combo back in the day. :)

I looked at the 1982 Buick color chart and the color is a bit more yellow and that would be a stretch with the blue interior... :)

jsherid1
09-08-10, 06:34 PM
I live not too far from the dealer, might be able to see it this weekend (currently out of the country for work). Let me know.