: Advice on ordering CTS-V Coupe...

hulksdaddy
09-06-10, 09:56 PM
Hey folks, thinking about pulling the trigger on a new CTS-V Coupe. Looking for some advice form those of you that have done so, specifically:

1. What's the deal with the UltraView? Want it, but have seen the posts about it's issues. How widespread are they?

2. Manual vs auto. Since it's going to be my DD, going auto. How do you feel about the auto in everyday driving? The auto rags don't seem to like it, but how about you all that drive it everyday?

3. What's the judgment on the Recaros vs the base seats? Again, the auto rags don't seem to like the Recaros, saying they are too hard and uncomfortable.

4. Overall reliability. Outside of the UltraView, how many problems does the Coupe seem to have? Any that seem to pop up more than others?

5. Finally, pricing. What kind of deals have you gotten as far as under MSRP? You can get vettes now for $8-11k under MSRP. I know the CTS-V Coupe is new, so what's the best deal you all have gotten, and from where? Forum dealers seem to be the best way to go?

Thanks for your time, really jazzed about picking up my first Caddy!

Hulk

Caddyscat
09-07-10, 12:35 AM
1. The coupe doesn't have an "ultraview" roof, just a sunroof that pops up like the Audi A5/S5.
2. Some moan and groan about how slow the A6 shifts - This is a cadillac- it has to be smooth, besides, it's still quicker than the M6 gearbox. I love mine.
3. Recaros are one of the defining characteristics of the V series. If you're not sure whether or not you'll like them, do what I did, find a dealer that has them, sit in them and see if you can get comfy in them. if you don't like em, don't order them.
4. Sorry I have a sedan, but my oil pump died on me and the dealer fixed it.
5 n/a

I got the GMS pricing on mine but I had the certificate. I'm no longer an employee of gm so I guess no more substantial discounts.

hamta
09-07-10, 01:20 AM
Hey folks, thinking about pulling the trigger on a new CTS-V Coupe. Looking for some advice form those of you that have done so, specifically:

1. What's the deal with the UltraView? Want it, but have seen the posts about it's issues. How widespread are they?

2. Manual vs auto. Since it's going to be my DD, going auto. How do you feel about the auto in everyday driving? The auto rags don't seem to like it, but how about you all that drive it everyday?

3. What's the judgment on the Recaros vs the base seats? Again, the auto rags don't seem to like the Recaros, saying they are too hard and uncomfortable.

4. Overall reliability. Outside of the UltraView, how many problems does the Coupe seem to have? Any that seem to pop up more than others?

5. Finally, pricing. What kind of deals have you gotten as far as under MSRP? You can get vettes now for $8-11k under MSRP. I know the CTS-V Coupe is new, so what's the best deal you all have gotten, and from where? Forum dealers seem to be the best way to go?

Hulk

Hi Hulk-

1. No Ultrview just a pop up sunroof.
2. I went with the auto, shifts just fine if it's a DD I woul stay with the auto.
3. I love th e Recaros, the auto rags are full of crap. Ingeneal, they hate everything American made automobiles.
4. Probably too soon to tell. But this car is 1000 times better than my 2008 CTS4 DI. And I had no problems with it.
5. Good luck on pricing MSRP only, if you can that!!!

jft69z
09-07-10, 01:48 AM
Hello Hulksdaddy,

1) Sunroof: I never had one before so I ordered this car with one. So far I like it, no squeeks or creeks yet.

2) I got the manual trans & I love it. Couldn't imagine driving this car without it. (personal choice though)

3) Recaro seats: Love them. I sat in a showroom car at the time with base seats, ordered the recaros & I'm glad I did.

4) Reliabilty: Too soon to tell.

5) Pricing: I got GMS pricing, no dealing/games necessary.

All in all, I love the car. Color choice is a matter of personal taste also, but I got the black and wouldn't consider anything else. Somehow it seems to not show off the fat-ass as bad. (yeah, fat chicks need lovin' too).

Good luck and jump in, you won't regret your decision.

Joe

mugatu22
09-07-10, 03:41 AM
So none of your Recaros rock in the mounts? The 1 I drove did.

Daily driver = automatic. It's faster too, which annoys the manual guys to no end.

Clicking wheels & sunroof problems. Have fun & good luck.

irablumberg
09-07-10, 06:50 AM
1. Sunroof cuts into already limited head room. I don't like sun roofs, but that is a personal thing. If you like them, I suspect the coupe roof will be fine. My sedan ultra view has not caused any problems.

2. Manual is way more fun unless you commute in terrible traffic every day. I've never owned an auto in any of my cars. The V stick is probably the best I've ever owned and that covers Toyota, Honda, Volvo, Audi, Ford, Mitsubishi, and 2 different C6s. I've used all these as daily drivers and never regretted having a manual.

3. I love the recaros and would not have purchased the car without them. They can be a bit snug depending on your size, but I'm 5'7" and 145, so they feel great to me. Great support when exploring the 0.9x lateral G capabilities on the V ;-)

4. My sedan has been very reliable. Initially, the drivers seat creaked, but the dealer fixed it first try. No other problems of any kind in the first 8k miles.

5. Good luck on price. With all the publicity and limited supply, I expect pricing to be stiff.

Ira

BigJoeD
09-07-10, 05:01 PM
Mine is an Auto and I drive 50 miles a day in Dallas traffic with no issues. You just get use to it.

hulksdaddy
09-07-10, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I know the smart thing to do is wait, either to the end of the year, or even next. Patience, however, is not my strong suit.

BTW, here's my Z, with some smashing mods. :green:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/Two%20Vettes/IMG_1285.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/IMG_2771.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/IMG_0988.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/hulksdaddy/sighulk.jpg

hulksdaddy
09-07-10, 09:35 PM
:bouncy:

4gear70
09-13-10, 02:33 AM

Daily driver = automatic. It's faster too, which annoys the manual guys to no end.

My Recaro's have never moved in the mounts and they are fantastic seats and extremely comfortable and supportive once you take the time to set them correctly. My wheels have never clicked, dash doesn't creak, I don't have sunroof problems and the paint is gorgeous and still looks like new. I guess I got the golden ticket!

Btw, faster and quicker are two different things.
The Auto is quicker. The Manual is faster. Shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.

hulksdaddy,
Good luck on your purchase and have fun when you make your purchase! Great looking Z06 :)

Domsz06
09-13-10, 09:39 AM

yup mine did, it was a simple fix, tighten the bolts down that it mounted to the frame. For some reason they worked loose. Dealer fixed it and I was picked her up after lunch. They fixed it in about an hr and I got a car wash out of it.

Domsz06
09-13-10, 09:43 AM

Hulk

while I dont' have a coupe I have some insight.

1) had an s5 with their sunroof, freaking pointless to just have it pop up, would rather it not be there at all.

2) If it's your DD and you love to bang gears then get a M6. I used to drive manuals all the time when I still could and if I could still drive them I still would but I can't. The A6 is fine, and if it's not aggressive enough get it tuned.

3) You mean they make a non-recaro seat? I didn't think that was an option :D

4) to early to tell, but that's what a warranty is for

5) can't help here sorry, but guess pretty close to MSRP since they are a very sought after car.

vinoaddict
09-25-10, 04:08 PM
Curious to know what you ultimately paid? I am also considering the CTS-V Coupe, but have not seen any deals listed online. I am patient, and will wait until the market cools if necessary. I can't bring myself to pay full MSRP, especially for American cars which I believe tend to have depreciation issues.

I am also considering the Corvette GS, and I have received -- without any haggling whatsoever -- about 12% off MSRP (about $10-$12K off MSRP). My only problem with the Corvette is seating and overall horsepower (and I would also prefer a z06 but can't justify the jump in price for only 70 hp).

Anyway-- does anyone know what people are actually paying for the CTS-V Coupe?

digital1021
09-25-10, 04:33 PM
Two points:

First, average transaction for the V Coupe is between MSRP and Invoice. So your looking at about $3k off max, most are selling at or around MSRP. Several I know of sold for ~$75k.

Second, while your correct that most American cars lose value quicker, the 2nd Gen CTS has held extremely high residuals, particularly the V series. Currently it is hard to touch a 09 CTS-V for less than $50k that hasn't been in an accident. Comparatively, both the M5/6 and E/CLS63 lose value quicker.

The CTS-V Coupe and the Corvette GS are two different cars entirely. The V Coupe is more of a GT car that has sport car capabilities, while the GS is a sports car.

~ Matt

wfo
09-25-10, 06:06 PM
To be perfectly honets, it took a little time for this car to grow on me. Then I saw a unique factor like no other, this car is, essentially a luxury Vette. The V Coupe is every bit as functional as the Sedan, which is already a sweet ride.

The Coupe is lighter and shorter from nose to rear and I perceive it to be a quicker. It's exhaust note is a bit throatier too. Sunroof is tilt up and all I need. less mechanical less problems. Just another way of getting ventilation and a cool factor in the flipped up mode. The doors are solid. I love this car. To start out, it will get a lower treatment and 21" monobloc forged wheels in brushed finish...stay tuned.

Kenno540
09-25-10, 07:17 PM
I had the opportunity to drive the V Coupe at Palm Beach Intl. Raceway two weeks ago, and this car has the best combination of fast/luxury of any car I've ever driven. The engine pulls like there's no tomorrow, the Recaro seats are fine, the car is very luxurious and the Brembo's bring all that speed to a very fast stop. Back seats are only for short people.

I chatted with John Heinricy while there, and his advice regarding the manual v. auto was to go with auto unless you simply like rowing the gears. He was personally involved in designing the transmission - and he is the person who set the sedan record at the Nurburgring - his point was that the auto trans electronics are at a state of high-tech that you can lap a track (as an amateur) faster with auto in Sport Mode than with manual.

hulksdaddy
09-25-10, 08:59 PM
Curious to know what you ultimately paid? I am also considering the CTS-V Coupe, but have not seen any deals listed online. I am patient, and will wait until the market cools if necessary. I can't bring myself to pay full MSRP, especially for American cars which I believe tend to have depreciation issues.

I am also considering the Corvette GS, and I have received -- without any haggling whatsoever -- about 12% off MSRP (about $10-$12K off MSRP). My only problem with the Corvette is seating and overall horsepower (and I would also prefer a z06 but can't justify the jump in price for only 70 hp).

Anyway-- does anyone know what people are actually paying for the CTS-V Coupe?

Again, thanks for the responses guys! Greatly appreciated.

Just an FYI, I ended up paying invoice. :thumbsup:

BeagleBrains
09-26-10, 08:27 PM
I just completed a JDPowers survey as a CTS V Coupe owner. I had no negative responses to any of their canned questions. My personal observation was used to criticize the ergonomics of the radio controls. Multiple actions required to get to your favorate XM station is exceedingly distracting from one's driving attention. Conclusion: great car!:cloud9:
1. Sunroof limited head room. I am comfortable at 6'3".
2. Manual is my wife's and my preference. The 2011 V stick is probably the best of 30+ manual cars we've ever owned, including an 04 CTS V and 4 different Vettes. I've used all these as daily drivers and never regretted having a manual. We own 'em so we drive 'em!
3. I love the Recaros. The custom seat fits my 278# frame and adjustment is very well for my wife's 5'7" 132# chassis.
4. No installation problems in our V Coupe.
5. I weazled the dealer into a $1000.00 discount. Did not expect much on a newly released high demand specialty vehicle.