: Oil Pan gasket help?

96Dville
09-06-10, 05:50 PM
Just bought this 96 DeVille 2 days ago and I knew it had an oil leak...can I change the oil pan seal without pulling the motor...can this be done in the car?

If so what is the estimated time for such a task?

Thanks
Dave

N*Caddy
09-06-10, 08:03 PM
Yes actually can be done with the engine in the car but is not as good as it sound...the subframe still has to be dropped so basically you suspend the car in the air then independently from the car you suspend the engine too making sure it stays in exactly the same position relatively with the car after you drop the subframe.

RippyPartsDept
09-06-10, 08:32 PM
get permatex brand 'ultra grey' (or is it 'gray' - i can't remember) for sealing the pan back up... you might need two tubes
there is no OEM gasket, gm has a grey sealer but it's sold in short caulking gun tube containers, and more expensive

RippyPartsDept
09-06-10, 08:43 PM
i forgot to mention that the leak is usually not the pan gasket but the 'lower block seal' between the two pieces of the block
check the tech tips forums for more info on this 'block seal leak' issue and bone up on info before you start to do it yourself
the repair that we do at the dealership is very thorough (to ensure that it never leaks again) and includes a bunch of parts (mostly seals and gaskets)
but you'll at least want to replace the lower block 'manifold' - it's about 3/8" thick and has silicone gaskets embedded into it
(the original is probably leaking past those gaskets)
anaerobic sealer is also used and we replace the oil filter adapter o-ring seals between the block and the adapter (and sometimes the tiny ones on the cooler lines)
once in a while our 'block seal' repair will require one or two main bolts as well

that said, the general rule of thumb at our shop for those of us who have northstar engines in our cars is to just let it leak if it's not a bad leak and you don't have a paved driveway since there's really no harm as long as you make sure your oil doesn't get low

and don't forget to check the tech tips forums for this as i'm sure there's a lot more info from (and for) the DIY perspective

96Dville
09-07-10, 12:25 AM
Wow guys, really great info to know...sounds like oil is way cheaper then the amount of hours required to fix the leak...I do have a dirt driveway and I also own a nice power washer, so as long as I keep it clean and the oil level in the safe zone I'll be OK:bouncy:

I really hate to have oil leaks but in this case I'll make an exception:thumbsup:

Submariner409
09-07-10, 12:08 PM
Wow guys, really great info to know...sounds like oil is way cheaper then the amount of hours required to fix the leak...I do have a dirt driveway and I also own a nice power washer, so as long as I keep it clean and the oil level in the safe zone I'll be OK:bouncy:

I really hate to have oil leaks but in this case I'll make an exception:thumbsup:

As rippy posted, oil pan and half case work is no picnic. You might clean off the lower part of the engine - careful of the alternator and A/C compressor - and see if you can find the leak after a day of driving with the clean engine. (Don't get carried away and don't power wash these engines.) Use something like GUNK Engine Brite foam and rinse gently.

Robertsong
09-13-10, 02:12 PM
I have a '94 Deville Concours, 4.6L N* and I too have a leak, the shop called it a cradle leak, also a rear main seal leak (betwen engine and transmission) I got the same advice, keep oil level in check and should be ok, except if oil gets on rubber parts, cables, mounts, etc. So here is the question, besides leaking on the exhaust and smelling like hell, did Cadillac consider the damage consequence to non metallic parts, and keep them away from this area? The service advisor told me nothing looks suspect yet, but am wondering how much time i have before something else goes awry secondarily to the oil leak. This has been going on for oh about 2~3 years, which equates to about 15,000 miles for my driving habits. Oh I have about 102,400 miles on her now.
Thanks for any and all inputs

Ranger
09-13-10, 04:08 PM
So here is the question, besides leaking on the exhaust and smelling like hell, did Cadillac consider the damage consequence to non metallic parts, and keep them away from this area?
Nope, they don't plan on leaks when they design them. If you can live with whatever smoke and smell there is, I wouldn't worry about it.

cl1986
09-15-10, 09:21 PM
mine was so bad it would be smoking yet after driving, it coated the entire underside of the car, mostly the exhaust, as to where it was smoking....

Did my half case and oil pan, there is OEM gaskets on both of these, they are silicon and cant be reused, throw them out and defenitly use the grey sealer, mine is holding up great.