: Question about wait4me heat exchanger install

MT14R
09-06-10, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm installing a wait4me heat exchanger this weekend. Does it matter which direction the coolant flows through it? I assumed it was asymmetrical and can be mounted either direction, but I'm hoping some (hopefully Jesse if he's online today) can tell me for sure before I re-fill the system and button everything back up.

Thanks,
Marc

cbloveday
09-06-10, 02:48 PM
This thread has some great pics courtesy of VSERIES.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/196435-does-w4m-heat-exchanger-replace-stock.html

MT14R
09-06-10, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the link. I've read that post before and I was planning on installing the exchanger the same way, but I go nervous about installing the H/E without a good solid mount. I've decided to have a bracket welded to the top the the H/E and then attach the bracket to the front bumper with 6-8 sheet metal screws.

I've also decided to mount the H/E so the inlet/outlet are on the driver side of the car and not the passenger side as shown in the link you sent. The factory lines will fit best if I attach the drivers side coolant line to the top of the wait4me H/E. I want to make sure this is okay. My quess is that coolant can flow through the H/E in either direction, but I want to make sure I don't mess anything up before I spend the 2-3 hours required to put the front bumper back on the car!

cbloveday
09-06-10, 09:59 PM
I see. Well, I can't help you there. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in so you can button it up!

MT14R
09-06-10, 11:05 PM
No worries, I definitely appreciate your input and willingness to help.

MT14R
09-09-10, 11:46 PM
I don't know if anyone is following this thread. I haven't been able to get a hold of Jesse and no other experts have chimed in. However, I have come to couple conclusions on my own--so reader beware!

1) It doesn't matter if coolant flows from the top inlet/outlet to the bottom inlet/outlet or vice versa.
2) It DOES matter if the inlet/outlet of the wait4me H/E are on the drivers side or passenger side. The location of the inlet and outlet should not affect the efficiency of the system, but if the inlet/outlet of the wait4me H/E are on the drivers side of the car the coolant will flow through the factory H/E first and you will not be able to use the factory bleeder valve to bleed the system. This is mostly an inconvenience, but mounting the H/E with the inlet/outlet on the passenger side is preferable.

For those that are interested, I've posted the details of my H/E install in another thread entitled "Install of Wait4me Heat Exchanger with Custom Bumper Mount"

cbloveday
09-10-10, 12:17 AM
Off to that Thread! Thanks for the post.