: Lucked out on getting rear-ended.

caddeville89
09-06-10, 12:34 PM
Well, my wife got rear-ended in our '89. The low-speed accident caused no damage to my family's health whatsoever, and only minimal damage to the car (bumper and one of the rear fillers). The man wanted to pay cash, and so we immediately estimated the repair and he paid me the next day.

All in all, it will cost $688 for a new bumper and a new rear filler. I gave him an extra $135 to purchase the other filler and get it painted, since they were in trashy shape anyway. Not a bad deal for a new bumper and fillers (the $135). Except for the "I just got in an accident" phone call from my wife, I'd say this whole thing worked out very nicely.

Next, I need a bologna truck to drop a load on my hood or something, so I can get that paint fixed too.

Ironically, his new(er) Pontiac had no damage at all. Guess he hit the bumper just right.

As a side note, we're still working on finding an Olds 350 to put in this thing. My guy wants one from a car that he can hear and verify that there are no problems. My 307 is starting to knock more loudly, so I'd say it's just about time. Having trouble finding a motor, though. There are some around, but none that you can hear first.

Stingroo
09-06-10, 12:36 PM
lol Bologna truck.

You and me both man. :)

csbuckn
09-06-10, 02:14 PM
I have an extra olds 350 motor in the garage that I can build for you. Or anybody who wants one. I think you got a good deal on the repairs, you should see how much extra they would charge if you bring in the hood.

caddeville89
09-08-10, 08:21 AM
How much we talking about for that 350? My guy is looking for something relatively cheap and is running, but let me know what your expectations would be.

I got a quote for the hood and the trunk for almost a grand. I may do it this year when we get our tax return, but we have some decisions making to do regarding our vehicles that have to happen first. What I might do is dismount them myself, and take off all the trim and such, but then again, the header panel is also crackeled, so that makes it harder. The vertical surfaces are actually pretty good. I think the car must have sat somewhere for a long time without wax or something. Really a shame.