: Winter Rims

lexpar
09-06-10, 11:02 AM
I've enjoyed my '10 V now for a month, but winter is coming and I don't want to ruin a great set of rims. What advise is out there for winter rims? I'd accept the same rims in painted version or even a set with surface damage, but I don't want to spend a fortune on them.

Has anyone used a set of steel rims?

What winter tires would you recommend?

neuronbob
09-06-10, 11:21 AM
Many, many, many threads on this--a search is advised.

I use my original stock wheels as winter wheels wrapped in Pirelli Sottozeros. GM did winter testing with these tires. Some are also using Blizzaks with great success.

sybersport
09-06-10, 12:08 PM
With the size of our brake set-up, the traditional "winter steel wheels" won't work...

Check out post #12 in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/187399-traction-control-problems-taller-tires.html

These are the wheels - they are reasonably priced:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&winter=0&initialPartNumber=GT1913BS&wheelMake=ASA&wheelModel=GT1&wheelFinish=Bright+Silver+Paint&autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2009&autoModClar=&tire=54VR9BZLM22XL&qty_front=4

People seem to love the Pirelli Sottozero

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+Sottozero

I'm probably going to go with the ASA + Sottozero set-up if I decide not to use my factory wheels.

lexpar
09-06-10, 02:14 PM
Perfect. Thanx very much, those rims look great, very similar to the Vette ZR1

garfin
09-06-10, 02:43 PM
I've enjoyed my '10 V now for a month, but winter is coming and I don't want to ruin a great set of rims. What advise is out there for winter rims? I'd accept the same rims in painted version or even a set with surface damage, but I don't want to spend a fortune on them.

Has anyone used a set of steel rims?

What winter tires would you recommend?

When I was in Detroit 2 weekends ago, I picked up a brand new set of stock, silver painted CTS-V wheels (9.0" front and 9.5" rear) from Midwest Wheel and Tire in Warren, MI
They are currently listed on eBay and I know that Mike has 2 or 3 sets in stock
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-19-CADILLAC-CTS-CTS-V-WHEELS-RIMS-4647-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5deb7cf6QQitemZ25068 3817206QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

He's a great guy to deal with and since I had to be in Detroit that weekend anyway, I was very happy for the opportunity to pick them up in person and bring them back into Canada with me, ... I certainly would not have wanted to pay shipping across the border to Toronto, + the duty and taxes involved.

One of the main reasons I went for the stock wheels is that since this car has no spare, at least I know that even with winter tires mounted on these wheels (I'll be getting the Sottos in stock sizes), I'll rest a little easier knowing that I at least have a spare wheel and tire in both front and rear sizes sitting in my garage that I can throw on the car in an emergency without worrying about it being a different size or diameter.

BTW, I was able to put 3 of the wheels in the V's trunk and the 4th on the back seat.

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
09-06-10, 03:23 PM
GARFIN

With you being Canadian would you kindly indicate what kind of $$'s were paid in duty and taxes at the border for your newly acquired rims?

garfin
09-06-10, 06:07 PM
GARFIN

With you being Canadian would you kindly indicate what kind of $$'s were paid in duty and taxes at the border for your newly acquired rims?

For the benefit of any Canadian contemplating a trip to Warren MI to pick up at Midwest Wheel and Tire, you will be charged only HST (13%) on the difference between your duty free exemption (mine was only $400, since I was out of the country less than a week, but more than 48 hrs.) and the amount of the invoice from Midwest. No duty was charged.

As mentioned before, Mike is a great guy to deal with and is most helpful and cooperative.

Best regards,

Elie

sybersport
09-06-10, 11:49 PM
Unless I read wrong These wheels do not come with rear wheels 9.5 as stock wheels are. Are you aware of this or is this a winter thing to have a thinner tire? Thats a great price for the rims $200 each I just want to make sure its correct and will clear the brakes as most rims dont. thanks

I can't personally confirm that they fit, but click the link I posted in the forums here and look at post # 12 - there is a pic of the wheels installed on a V2

SleepTight
09-07-10, 07:02 AM
Am I wrong in assuming that going with a narrower rear wheel than spec is going to compromise your handling? Obviously, it's not going to make much difference in snow, but since I end up mostly driving my Winter setup in the dry, I'm reluctant to do anything to further reduce handling beyond switching to performance winter tires.

newcadman
09-07-10, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=garfin;2355168]For the benefit of any Canadian contemplating a trip to Warren MI to pick up at Midwest Wheel and Tire, you will be charged only HST (13%) on the difference between your duty free exemption (mine was only $400, since I was out of the country less than a week, but more than 48 hrs.) and the amount of the invoice from Midwest. No duty was charged.

As mentioned before, Mike is a great guy to deal with and is most helpful and cooperative.

For the sake of clarity would you mind indicating what was the $$ amount of the tax (yes I know HST is 13%) you paid at the border for your 4 rims?

Thank you

baabootoo
09-07-10, 01:19 PM
Am I wrong in assuming that going with a narrower rear wheel than spec is going to compromise your handling? Obviously, it's not going to make much difference in snow, but since I end up mostly driving my Winter setup in the dry, I'm reluctant to do anything to further reduce handling beyond switching to performance winter tires.

You will NEVER notice any difference. A proper fitting tire is more important than 1/2" wider wheel!

wait4me
09-07-10, 01:21 PM
I think these might fit???

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23940

baabootoo
09-08-10, 11:52 PM
I think these might fit???

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23940

Yep, they would sure clear the calipers! :)

TheGeeman
09-09-10, 02:48 PM
Just received a set of OEM wheels from Midwest Wheel and Tire,Warren MI . Ordered themTuesday and received them Thursday. They look perfect. Great price. I found them on Ebay.
G.

cbloveday
09-09-10, 03:50 PM
I just got off the phone with Mike of Midwest Wheel and Tire myself.

I ordered the 2 rear C5 Z06 as my drag rims from another vendor and when I called to find out why I had not received a notice of shipping, I was told that they were out of stock and my $ would be refunded.

NOT HAPPY WITH THAT Outfit.

I called Mike and he located the speedline OEM C5 z06 rims. He only had one in stock and it was the ALCOA OEM. He found me 2 speedline 18X10.5 and I will have them by Friday 17th.
He has to get them in, send to the finisher, then ship to me.

Mike seemed like a standup guy in this crazy wheel business.

New Bee In New York
09-17-10, 01:10 PM
Just got my "Shipping Confirmation" email from TireRack. My ASA GTI's, fitted with 255/40R-19 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 XL's and tire pressure sensors, are on their way. The wheels/tires have been balanced on the Hunter Road Force balancer and lug nuts and centering rings are included. Now I can polish up the OEM wheels and put them away for the winter.

garfin
09-17-10, 01:30 PM
I just got off the phone with Mike of Midwest Wheel and Tire myself.

I ordered the 2 rear C5 Z06 as my drag rims from another vendor and when I called to find out why I had not received a notice of shipping, I was told that they were out of stock and my $ would be refunded.

NOT HAPPY WITH THAT Outfit.

I called Mike and he located the speedline OEM C5 z06 rims. He only had one in stock and it was the ALCOA OEM. He found me 2 speedline 18X10.5 and I will have them by Friday 17th.
He has to get them in, send to the finisher, then ship to me.

Mike seemed like a standup guy in this crazy wheel business.

Having met Mike in person a few weeks ago, I would certainly agree with your assessment! Midwest does have a 100% positive feedback rating on eBay...

Best regards,

Elie

lexpar
11-14-10, 05:47 AM
Received a set of 18" painted "Fast" aluminum rims c/w Yokahama snow tires, mounted and balanced with Nitrogen through my dealer for $2,000. His source was in Quebec. I added sensors. Fit perfectly and drive just fine, for winter. Stock rims are now cleaned and stored.

MotorCityDriver
11-14-10, 11:10 AM
I used Midwest also, bought a set of 19x9 for the winter and mounted Michelin winter tires, now I just have to keep off the fun pedal if they are going to last.