: Road trip ready

Garys
09-06-10, 01:14 AM
In preparation for a 1000 mile road trip next month, figured I better get the new water pump, thermostat, and new (rebuilt) radiator installed. She’s gonna need all new hoses too. It was a fun day of wrenching under the hood. Question: anyone ever replace the steering stabilizer on a 1979 Fleetwood? I have been looking for one with no luck.

csbuckn
09-06-10, 02:05 AM
Steering stabilizer? Same as center/drag link? Maybe the strut thats under there?

albymangled
09-06-10, 10:11 AM
Steering stabilizer....

RockAuto will sell you the $40 MOOG variant

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=204668

or save a buck and buy the KYB for $26

and good on ya for gettin' the spanners out mate... :thumbsup:

that's the difference that makes it a hobby, not just a means of gettin' around... :cool2:

Bro-Ham
09-06-10, 11:45 AM
Garys,

I think you'll be fine in a 79 on a road trip. I drive my 79 Sedan deVille from FL to MN and back at least once per year, 3,500 miles round trip. There is no better way to see the USA! :)

Consider checking your belts - always a good idea to put on a fresh set and keep the oldies on hand in the trunk just in case. Also, consider bringing an extra blower relay since they tend to fail when put to the test, it's no big deal if it's cool outside, but if it's hot you'll appreciate having it on hand rather than searching and searching for one while on a trip if you need to keep cool. :)

I always keep my cars over bullet proofed mechanically because I hate surprises, and the idea of riding with the chain smoking flat bed tow truck driver is something I can do without. Luckily 79's were, by design, solid and overbuilt.

Have you done a long road trip in the car before?

Good luck and have fun! Nice car!!! :)

Dave

Garys
09-06-10, 02:05 PM
Dave,

I agree, there is nothing like traveling across country in a Cadillac. They can really chew through the miles.

Oh yeah, the belts are being changed with the old ones getting stowed in the spare tire. The ac works awesome in this car and have not had trouble with the relay, but will take your advice and pick one up. If it fails, is it located in the fuse panel?

I probably go a little overboard on preventative maintenance too. I have made a few 300 mile trips but this will be the first longer one. This car still had the original fuel pump and water pump (asking for trouble). I noticed the radiator seeping after my last trip, so figured it was a good time to give it a good going over. While I was in changing the water pump, I debated whether to change the timing set too, but the car only has 42k on it so I figured it was ok to pass on.
Parts for these cars are cheap, if you lucky to be mechanically inclined, it’s pretty easy and reasonable to keep them road ready.

Thank you for the kind words. I like to drive my Cadillacs. My '68 is a runner too!

Gary

Bro-Ham
09-06-10, 04:24 PM
Gary,

That's great! The blower relay is just above the parking brake - is that the fuse panel? Mine was separated from the panel since they get super hot when you drive them regularly.

I acquired my car 5 years ago with 61k miles and it's now up to 104k. Lots of very long road trips under its belt. I regularly go through the essentials on my car and in the last week it got new tires, shocks and exhaust - plus a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. I always have a list going of things I want to do to keep it in ship shape. :)

Is the color of your car Burnished Gold? I love it! My car is Colonial Yellow with matching top and burnished gold interior. I have always wanted a 77-79 Fleetwood Brougham so don't part with the car before letting me know. I love the color and your low miles are fabulous! :) Your 68 is sexy too! :)

Dave

Garys
09-06-10, 08:12 PM
Dave,

Yep, it's Burnished Gold. The paint is not in the greatest of shape, but does still shine up pretty well. Colonial Yellow looks great on these cars. A friend, 77cdv's (craig's) cpe is that color and is drop dead sharp.

I am just about finished with the mechanicals and can soon start on the cosmetics.

Got her all back together now and just waiting on the radiator. Note the new clutch fan. Also repaired the upper radiator hose holder located on the fan shroud.

Gary

hueterm
09-06-10, 08:19 PM
Garys,

I think you'll be fine in a 79 on a road trip. I drive my 79 Sedan deVille from FL to MN and back at least once per year, 3,500 miles round trip. There is no better way to see the USA! :)

Consider checking your belts - always a good idea to put on a fresh set and keep the oldies on hand in the trunk just in case. Also, consider bringing an extra blower relay since they tend to fail when put to the test, it's no big deal if it's cool outside, but if it's hot you'll appreciate having it on hand rather than searching and searching for one while on a trip if you need to keep cool. :)

I always keep my cars over bullet proofed mechanically because I hate surprises, and the idea of riding with the chain smoking flat bed tow truck driver is something I can do without. Luckily 79's were, by design, solid and overbuilt.

Have you done a long road trip in the car before?

Good luck and have fun! Nice car!!! :)

Dave

You are the best salesman ever for those 77-79s :-)

77CDV
09-06-10, 10:16 PM
So will all be ready for Ventura Cove, Gary? I won't get to see the car again until Penske (if you're going).

Garys
09-06-10, 10:54 PM
Craig,

Yeah, All will be ready, Are you not doing North / South?

Bro-Ham
09-06-10, 11:12 PM
You are the best salesman ever for those 77-79s :-)

Can't help but sing the praises for the 77-79's. Probably the best, most driveable, most reliable and toughest cars Cadillac ever made. I think they speak for themselves, or don't speak in the case of these forums where everyone is seeking advice on how to fix their newer cars with their myriad problems. :)

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 11:11 AM
I would piggy back on getting that cooling system done, which you are doing, thats great, I would also consider getting a temp gauge to keep an eye on the temp of coolant. My car massively overheated once and my light didnt work and I had no way of knowing it!! Now that I got the temp gauge installed it def gives me a piece of mind...and as soon as something is not right, you know it! Nice car btw, love that color!

Gene

Garys
09-07-10, 04:24 PM
Oh boy, just received a call from the radiator repair shop and my radiator is not repairable. So, what started out to be 80 bucks is now $400. That is putting a new core into my current (metal tanked) radiator. I could buy a complete new radiator with plastic tanks for around $200, but I prefer to keep it all metal. I had a feeling it would end up needing a new one but I'm still Bummed. Oh well, beats being doa on the side of the road.

Bro-Ham
09-07-10, 04:47 PM
I just put a new radiator in my car and it was just over $100. I don't know if it's plastic or not but it's not giving any problems.

GeneLaw1
09-07-10, 05:11 PM
I put a plastic in my car as well, its doing fine, it cost me a little over $100 for the Brougham, and a little over $200 for the Deville. It wont last as long as the metal, but they work well...

Garys
09-07-10, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I am gonna give it some thought. I found new plastic tank radiators too at Auto Zone for $115.00.

I am just a little concerned putting one in a big block Cad. Plus, I live in the Southwest and cross the Mojave at least 2 or 3 times a year, not to mention the lovely stop and go California freeway traffic in 90+ degree heat.

The $400 for rebuilding my radiator is taking it up from a 3 to a 4 row unit.

albymangled
09-07-10, 07:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-1977-1978-1979-Cadillac-Seville-Radiator-12-Fans-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a09ef8b82QQitemZ18055 5320194QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

any good?

personally I dont like plastic tank radiators cos ya cant get them fixed (braze / sliver solder) in a local garage...

Bro-Ham
09-07-10, 07:52 PM
My last $100 radiator lasted 5 years, car has been pounded as an every day driver in super hot Florida heat and humidity. If this next one lasts 5 years I will be quite happy. :)

Garys
09-08-10, 10:05 AM
I have turned my attention to the heater control valve. Looks like Napa is the only brick and mortar that stocks it. It is not exspensive and will be picking it up today. As far as the heater hoses, has anyone changed the one located on the back of the engine? It does not look easy. Can it be reached from above or is it easier from under the car?

Ian6
09-08-10, 07:04 PM
take a picture of the hose you are talking about

Garys
09-08-10, 09:45 PM
take a picture of the hose you are talking about

Here are a couple pictures. You can just make out the head of the screw on the hose clamp. There is no way to get to it other than from the top. I think I can get at it with a 1/4" drive socket. It's going to be a knuckle ripper as the ac condensor cover is right there. :annoyed:

77CDV
09-08-10, 09:56 PM
From the top, I think. And I'd go with the metal radiator. Easier to fix and I would think better at heat dissipation.

Garys
09-08-10, 10:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-1977-1978-1979-Cadillac-Seville-Radiator-12-Fans-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a09ef8b82QQitemZ18055 5320194QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

any good?

personally I dont like plastic tank radiators cos ya cant get them fixed (braze / sliver solder) in a local garage...

That is a serious radiator perfect for the outback. Wow!

Garys
09-09-10, 09:51 PM
Well, here it is back from the radiator shop. It's better than the stock one from the factory and is called a "Desert Cooler". (AKA Cha-Ching!) Only 15 minutes to install and 30 minutes finding the last bolt that I dropped on the frame. If you don't have a telescoping magnet, get one!

Now on to the heater hoses and Heater Control Valve.

I will post some pics next month while on the "road trip". Thanks again for all the advice and kind words.

Gary

77CDV
09-10-10, 02:51 AM
That looks like one serious radiator.