: Trunk

creeker
09-05-10, 08:43 PM
My trunk door wont stay open on it's own,there is some resistance, but not enough to stay open, what do I adjust?, it's my 80 cdv., thanks

Angry Matt
09-05-10, 09:52 PM
You should probably replace the shocks. They have them at rock auto for about $8 each. I have a new set that I bought to do on mine but never got around to it so I can't say if it's a pain or not. They are located up near the hinge under the rear deck behind the carpet.

Robin Banx
09-05-10, 10:12 PM
Not shocks. They are gas-filled cylinders and were available at Rock Auto. I bought sets for my 81, my 83 and a spare set in case of future problems. They are as Angry Matt said, about $9.00 per pair. Relatively easy to remove and install. You will have to get into the trunk and hold it open as far as it will go (I used a broom handle). Use a small screwdriver to pry the retainer clips open so you can pull the cylinders down and replace them.

Cheers.....R.

MudAnt
09-05-10, 10:18 PM
Why do the coupes use gas cylinders instead of torsion bars?

jayoldschool
09-05-10, 10:27 PM
I don't think it is a coupe thing. I believe the change to bars was a year change. Not for sure, though. I do know that my 81 has gas struts, and mom's 84 has bars. My 81 holds open, but not as high as the 84. Also, the 81 does not hold open high enough for the light to come on. It will come on if I grab the lid and raise it a bit. Doesn't seem like it is bad struts, because when they go, the trunk will usually just close back down without staying open. Almost seems like they are on the wrong spot on the linkage.

For ten bucks, I'll see what my local parts place has. If someone has a PN and a brand, post it up.

creeker
09-05-10, 10:48 PM
Not shocks. They are gas-filled cylinders and were available at Rock Auto. I bought sets for my 81, my 83 and a spare set in case of future problems. They are as Angry Matt said, about $9.00 per pair. Relatively easy to remove and install. You will have to get into the trunk and hold it open as far as it will go (I used a broom handle). Use a small screwdriver to pry the retainer clips open so you can pull the cylinders down and replace them.

Cheers.....R.

I see your from Vancover, where did you buy them?.

creeker
09-05-10, 10:59 PM
I see your from Vancover, where did you buy them?.

I guess you bought them from rock auto,what is the description name for them?,
I couldn't find them on rock auto, I've never ordered any from the states before,
is it a simple procedure?.

jayoldschool
09-05-10, 11:28 PM
Take the Sachs part number to your local place and see how much.

from rockauto

Under Body: Exterior: lift support:

1981 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM 6.0L 368cid V8 MFI (9) OHV : Body-Exterior : Lift Support Wiki Price
RHINOPAC Part # 4102 More Information About this Part
TRUNK LIFT

Part Image
$7.98
Add to Cart
SACHS Part # SG430009 More Information About this Part
Trunk Lid

creeker
09-05-10, 11:32 PM
Take the Sachs part number to your local place and see how much.

from rockauto

Under Body: Exterior: lift support:

1981 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM 6.0L 368cid V8 MFI (9) OHV : Body-Exterior : Lift Support Wiki Price
RHINOPAC Part # 4102 More Information About this Part
TRUNK LIFT

Part Image
$7.98
Add to Cart
SACHS Part # SG430009 More Information About this Part
Trunk Lid

Thanks a lot.

jayoldschool
09-05-10, 11:38 PM
No problem. Let us know what you find for Canadian availability and pricing!

creeker
09-06-10, 12:36 AM
No problem. Let us know what you find for Canadian availability and pricing!

Thers only two choices over here, canadian tire and an auto supply store,
we have a g.m. dealer too, but I would use a broom stick before I dealt with them.