: Major problems installing aluminum pedals!

Tony407
09-04-10, 04:10 PM
Quite some time ago I purchased the aluminum brake and gas pedals at my local dealership. I was told these were the exact same pedals available along with the Recaro seat package, and that they should be "plug and play." After inspecting my car I determined that the install was definitely not something I wanted to try on my own, specifically the brake pedal install.

Fast forward several months. I took my V to the dealership Monday to have the pedals installed (along with a minor warranty issue) and got a phone call yesterday saying that the brake pedal (initially billed as a one-hour job) was turning into a "12-hour nightmare." Evidently they had to remove the steering column and modify several of the parts in order to get the job done. Now my car won't be ready until Tuesday because it's taking so long to put back together.

My largest concern is the reliability of my car. I certainly would NOT have authorized them to frickin' take apart my steering column in order to have some aluminum pedals!!! In short, I just don't trust the dealership in this sort of endeavor. I don't consider myself to be a typical car owner...I track and motorcross my V, and I'm also going on a 5,000 mile road trip next week through several midwestern states and I plan on setting a new personal land speed record in my V. I'm literally afraid of my car not operating properly after such an "operation" like they're doing.

Do you all think I'm overreacting? My biggest fear is driving 174 mph through Montana and having the steering wheel freeze up or something.

Tony

EuroTrash
09-04-10, 04:40 PM
1. I dont see why they would have to take apart the steering column, unless it some how got in there way when installing the pedals.
2. Its just a steering column, the worse that would happen is they missed a wire/connector when putting it back together. Its not like it will all of a sudden turn right when you want it to turn left.

If you plan on going 174mph, you should be worrying more about what is in front of you or what your tires are going to run over then your steering column freezing up on you.

So yes i think you are over reacting a bit.

Hawkeye2
09-04-10, 05:24 PM
I would like to replace my gas pedal for better heal and toe. I purchased a new pedal, took a look at
what was involved in changing it, and decided to wait till I could set aside a whole day for the job!

You're paranoid. Drive the car when you get it back, you'll know right away if something isn't right.

caddynoob
09-04-10, 05:34 PM
Do you have pictures or a link to the product page of the pedal that you have installed?

I thought it would be a lot easier to just install the pedal on top of the existing pedal, no?

cbloveday
09-04-10, 05:57 PM
Caddynoob, I believe the pedals are OEM and the pedals includes the whole arm.

I had the aluminum OEM with my recaros and still wanted to change to something with better feel.
They felt very thick.
I got some SRP pedals.

In my case, the OEM aluminum/rubber brake pedal slipped right off the arm and I drilled/bolted into the the bare arm/assembly.
The gas pedal, was a little more difficult.

It was a solid piece and drilled through the exisitng pedal and arm, then bolted on top the SRP Gas pedal.

thebigjimsho
09-06-10, 04:03 PM
I really hope you don't think it's legal to do 174 in Montana...

Tony407
09-06-10, 05:59 PM
I really hope you don't think it's legal to do 174 in Montana...

I didn't say I did.

Tony

Tony407
09-06-10, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Much appreciated.

Tony

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
09-07-10, 02:04 PM
Quite some time ago I purchased the aluminum brake and gas pedals at my local dealership. I was told these were the exact same pedals available along with the Recaro seat package, and that they should be "plug and play." After inspecting my car I determined that the install was definitely not something I wanted to try on my own, specifically the brake pedal install.

Fast forward several months. I took my V to the dealership Monday to have the pedals installed (along with a minor warranty issue) and got a phone call yesterday saying that the brake pedal (initially billed as a one-hour job) was turning into a "12-hour nightmare." Evidently they had to remove the steering column and modify several of the parts in order to get the job done. Now my car won't be ready until Tuesday because it's taking so long to put back together.

My largest concern is the reliability of my car. I certainly would NOT have authorized them to frickin' take apart my steering column in order to have some aluminum pedals!!! In short, I just don't trust the dealership in this sort of endeavor. I don't consider myself to be a typical car owner...I track and motorcross my V, and I'm also going on a 5,000 mile road trip next week through several midwestern states and I plan on setting a new personal land speed record in my V. I'm literally afraid of my car not operating properly after such an "operation" like they're doing.

Do you all think I'm overreacting? My biggest fear is driving 174 mph through Montana and having the steering wheel freeze up or something.

Tony

If your car is an AT the brake pedal "pad" is available seperately, no reason to do the whole pedal..

Tony407
09-07-10, 03:38 PM
If your car is an AT the brake pedal "pad" is available seperately, no reason to do the whole pedal..

This discussion took place a long time ago on another thread. Regardless, the dealership ordered me the entire assembly so that's what I have. Had I known ahead of time what a terrible time they would later have installing the brake assembly/pedal, I would have investigated other routes for sure.

Thanks,

Tony