: 94 FWB A/C compressor replacement cost

SDCaddyLacky
09-04-10, 04:36 AM
Hey everyone, I have a quick question.

How much would it cost me to replace the A/C compressor, as well as the Accumulator?

I really don't feel like doing the work myself at this moment, plus I heard that it's a pain in the ass job, I just don't have the time either.

I bought a new compressor and Accumulator, so all I will be paying for is labor.

Thanx fellow Caddymen

jayoldschool
09-04-10, 10:52 AM
You can call the dealer, get a price, and ask them what the "book time" is. This will tell you the hours required for the job, so you can compare that to what other garages would charge you. Personally, I would think that two hours plus vacuum/fill/134a would be close.

SDCaddyLacky
09-05-10, 06:50 AM
Oh no, I would never ask the stealership for any kind of labor estimates, I have this one shop in mind that can pull up labor cost, but before I do any calling, I actually have another question.

There's this one electrical connector that plugs directly into the compressor, well I decided to test it to see if it even works, well sure enough it doesn't work, there is no electrical current running through the connector.

Would that cause the compressor to not engage? If so, why would the connector not have any power or current? I find that strange.. I have a manual on the car, but I can't read electrical diagrams, does anyone know where that plug connector routes to?

Thanks guys.

jayoldschool
09-05-10, 11:54 AM
The compressor will not receive any power if the pressure is too low in the system. Here is how to bypass the pressure switch and test the compressor:
- start car, AC to MAX
- remove connector on the accumulator (big silver can on the passenger side behind the wheelwell)
- take the connector you just unplugged and use a short wire to go between the two terminals
- compressor will start running (don't do this for long, just confirm that it runs and isn't knocking horribly)

If your compressor works by this test, you need to check the pressure in the system. If you have proper pressure, the pressure switch is bad. If you have low/no pressure, you have a leak that needs to be fixed and you need a vacuum and fill.

SDCaddyLacky
09-06-10, 02:45 AM
Hey Jay, well I tried doing what you said, and the compressor still doesn't turn on, stuck a small wire between the terminal, and nothing happened.

I'm not even sure if there is power going to the pressure switch from the plug connector. At least I know that something electrical is wrong, is there anything else that I should check out? I looked at the fuses, and they're ok, nothing blown.

Thanks again Jay

SDCaddyLacky
09-06-10, 06:42 AM
One more thing, could it be the A/C relay? How do I test it?