: Clicking / Solenoid sound from the underneath rear; anyone else have that?

algiorda
09-03-10, 07:55 PM
I'm getting a Clicking / Solenoid sound from underneath rear; anyone else have that when the car is at rest?

I was installing new mud flaps on my X after starting the car and turning the front wheels. I shut the car and hit the LOCK button.

As i'm working on the rear flaps; I start to hear this clicking noise like the sound you get when your battery is close to dead and you try to start the car. Is this normal? Anyone else have this anomaly? Please realize the car was at rest for at least 15 minutes and it was still clicking????

My x otherwise is running perfect...???:banghead:

TheCaptain
09-03-10, 10:30 PM
Is it a mechanical clicking? or a metallic clicking?

I know my old Cobalt SS randomly checked the trunk to make sure it's closed, which resulted in a clicking, usually three times; and up to 15 minutes of the car being turned off. (also while the car was running too)

algiorda
09-03-10, 11:25 PM
The sound is electronic; like a relay sound that fires a burst of 6 contacts in quick succession.

jpcork40
09-10-10, 08:46 PM
Mine does the same thing just sitting in the garage and very random. Sometimes I will walk by the car and it will do it, and a week may go by before I hear it again. A click and then a high pitch electric noise ( barely audible ) for about 10 seconds and stops. Very strange...

algiorda
09-11-10, 06:02 PM
Thanks...I thought I was the only one with this issued. I'm worried this may drain my battery.

Cadillacyakyak
09-12-10, 09:35 AM
I think that sound might be the self leveling feature of the suspension, depending on circumstances may or may not be a problem most likely not.

TheCaptain
09-12-10, 04:58 PM
I wasn't aware the new SRX has a self leveling suspension. I thought we all had normal shocks/struts, with the exception of Performance spec'd SRX's which had a form of magneto fluid struts, which give the "sport, with computer-controlled continuously-variable real-time damping" deal.

jpcork40
09-12-10, 07:43 PM
I noticed today that opening any of the doors triggers it also.
I also noticed if it goes off and the doors are closed, the back lighting on the center stack comes on. When the noise stops, the lights go off at the same time.
Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but it would be great if someone figure out what this is all about.

Other car is a ?
09-13-10, 10:12 PM
I was in my garage this evening & mine made the noise too. It is a relay or a solenoid being energized. If you open the drivers door you will hear a similar noise. I will check into it further. When I have an idea of what it is I 'll report back.

kwd
09-15-10, 09:58 AM
Do you have your key fob with you when you hear it? Maybe it has something to do with the sensing of your fob as you approach? I do get a clicking of a relay when I make a sharp turn. I notice it when I am maneuvering in the parking garage at work. I suspect what I am hearing is possibly a lockout relay to limit power to the front wheels in a sharp turn to prevent tire chirping/skipping. With AWD, a limit for sharp turns is a must.

Smokin' SRX
09-15-10, 02:58 PM
I also think it is the self-adjusting suspension equipment. I have an AWD Performance model with the included automatically adjusting ( 200 times a second!) magnetic shocks. So if you look under the rear bumper, you will see a thin, black rod, maybe 5 inches long, connecting the rear, driver's side control arm (aluminum color) to a position sensor relay. The rear suspension height is kept at the optimum camber level, for rear wheel adjustment it seems. Me thinks this is what we all hear..........

SS

algiorda
09-15-10, 03:43 PM
I don't think it's the self leveling shocks in my case. I have a Luxury model with FWD. When I get some time, I'm going to post a video of it.

Smokin' SRX
09-15-10, 10:33 PM
Ok but it still may be. The self-adjusting shocks are NOT what I mean. I think ALL SRX have the self leveling Suspension ( with or w/o the magnetic shocks that come ONLY with AWD in the Performance or Premium models), as the lit only refs "Suspension and camber" angles of wheels............Look see if you have the little black rod connecting the control arm to an electronic box/sensor above it on yours? Anyone else w/ FWD? Lux Model? Performance/Premium FWD?

SS

TheCaptain
09-16-10, 12:06 AM
My Premium AWD makes capacitor discharge, multiple very fast clicking noises and the high pitch screaming once in awhile too. I notice it a lot when i'm detailing and opening and closing doors a lot. Not that it's annoying or anything, it's just interesting. More tech, more sounds. People just aren't used to the hum and chirp of compys and electronics yet. :D

Smokin' SRX
09-16-10, 10:39 PM
New possibility! I just put in a factory spare tire kit ( see thread on this forum) which entails removing cargo storage tray and installing new poly-foam tire tray. What do u think is directly under rear hatch, latching hook? ( Hidden by OEM cargo tray) The hydraulic motor and relays assembly that powers the hatch! (looks just like an ABS brake pump and lines) It seems to power up to a "pressure-ready" state whenever certain doors/movements/time occurs. That's what many here are hearing. No big deal.

SS

PS....................Yes, unlike the electric motor operated hatch of previous GM sleds, these are dual- line, hydraulic powered! Kinda like a convertible top............

Other car is a ?
09-16-10, 11:10 PM
That sounds like it could be the source of the noise.....except mine doesn't have a powered hatch?

Smokin' SRX
09-16-10, 11:33 PM
sorry.......I forgot the Base model didn't have.........is that yours?

SS

Other car is a ?
09-17-10, 09:26 PM
sorry.......I forgot the Base model didn't have.........is that yours?

SS
Yes I have a base model (Canadian) It is slightly different then the US base model.

Smokin' SRX
09-18-10, 09:11 AM
Yes I have a base model (Canadian) It is slightly different then the US base model.

OK. do you know if you have the self-adjusting suspension? No, not the computerized, self-adjusting shocks found on upper trim levels with AWD but the camber adjusting mechanism that Caddy claims aids in handling/steering/ride control. Mine has that little black rod, connecting rear, aluminum control arm to a sensor box, 5 inches above it. Easily seen from looking under rear bumper, on DRIVERS side, at the arm.

SS