: If you don't see me on here after tonight, you'll know why.....

hueterm
09-03-10, 06:59 PM
...I'm going hunting (skeptically) tomorrow for the first time. I'm going to go shoot at poor little innocent bars of soap (doves).

:gun2:

While I own quite a few firearms (not as many as Rolex), none have yet shot anything besides paper or clay targets.

A friend of mine wants to go duck hunting in the middle of the freaking winter (why...?) -- so I figured I'd better try this (which is free -- except, of course for the new gun :lildevil: and all the extra crap) before I spend $500 for 4-5 hours of hunting, one night in a relatively nice lodge, and even more coin on even more camo, insulated waterproof...crap.

IF there are any pics that aren't too self-depricating (not likely), then I'll post them...

drewsdeville
09-03-10, 07:20 PM
Nice

What do you use for duck? I use and older Remington 1100.

hueterm
09-03-10, 07:39 PM
I've never been hunting at all, but I bought a Rem 887 for tomorrow, and also for if I go duck hunting in December. The 887 is similar to an 870 pump, but it's able to shoot 2.75 / 3 / 3.5 inch shells. It's also completely encased in a very tough polymer coating, so it's pretty much impervious to weather and abuse. I got the Realtree waterfowl camo version. It's also lighter than an 870, of which I have 4:

1.) a Wingmaster Classic Trap (which I use for trap)
2.) a regular Wingmaster which I use for skeet and trap and keep in St. Louis at my Dad's house
3.) a vintage Wingmaster w/an 18" barrel for HD, and because I'd never seen a short barrel and it was very cool...those old Wingmasters are SMOOTH...
4.) a synthetic black 870 Express which was my first shotgun, that I bought when I didn't know what I was doing.

I have an 1100 Sporting 12 that I use for skeet here in Bentonville. It's a great gun -- however, I'm actually getting pretty good at skeet w/a pump -- well, as good as I am w/an automatic. Cycling the pump for the double shots isn't the issue -- the aiming is the issue. I'm actually considering getting another regular Wingmaster to use here for skeet, and just keep the 1100 as a spare. My trap gun is too long and has the raised Monte Carlo stock, so it's no good as a skeet gun.

I'm sure I'll have fun -- I mean it's only like 4 -5 hours, so how bad can it be since the weather will be gorgeous.

Submariner409
09-03-10, 07:56 PM
You'll have fun - if you're not a bird hunter, dove will give you fits: they fly a LOT faster than you think and you need to be quick. Lead the bird a bit more than you would guess is necessary.

For a knock-around dove gun I use an old Fox Sterlingworth double 12 with #7 1/2 game loads. The wooded borders of the field 100 yards to the east of our property are literally filled with dove...........and they're great on the Weber.

drewsdeville
09-03-10, 08:09 PM
I never got a kick out of trap or skeet. I never really learned much from them. It's really repetitive and therefore, once you learn the lead for those particular shots, your golden. There isn't enough diversity in the shots.

Instead, I prefer to shoot sporting clays. Every station is different and unpredictable. You get a wide variety of angles, speeds and distances. You'll see everything from clays flying straight up in the air to clays rolling across the ground and everything in between.

That said, I think you'd find a great use for the 1100 shooting sporting clays, as a pump is pretty annoying, especially when shooting a true pair. If you've never been hunting and you feel you need practice, I highly recommend a few rounds. And don't go in there with an improved cylinder choke or something to make it easier. Be true to yourself and shoot full choke (what you will be using for duck) so that you will be experienced with the choke you'll use in the field.

hueterm
09-03-10, 10:14 PM
@ Sub -- well, I'm not expecting to hit too many. I just want to go hunting once before duck season comes around, so I don't look like a complete noob then when I'm paying out my ass to go. The dove hunt is on a farm owned by one of my co-workers, so I'm not having to pay for a guide, etc. This is supposed to be pretty laid back. We're just all parking ourselves around this field, near the fence row -- we're not having to hike across the prairie to look for them. Apparently they're pretty thick.

@ Drew -- I've shot sporting clays before, and yes, an automatic is much easier on clays. It's just not at my normal shooting club, where I shoot trap and skeet. It's a long way, and it's pretty expensive for a 25 shot track (at least my shooting buddy thinks so -- I've never been anywhere else). I won't find trap boring, nor skeet, until I'm to the point where I'm always maxing out the score. Then there's always doubles (which I love), handicap, wobble, or faster speed skeet.

I typically score 15-20 on skeet, and 18-22 on trap.

Rolex
09-03-10, 11:12 PM
Mike I used to dove hunt every day when I was a kid. You'll have a ball. Be safe.

Ranger
09-03-10, 11:21 PM
The little buggers are not much bigger than a bar of soap, but as mentioned sure are fast. They'll start getting active around sunset and if you are in a good area you can expend a LOT of ammo. Lots of fun, BE SAFE.

hueterm
09-03-10, 11:28 PM
The little buggers are not much bigger than a bar of soap, but as mentioned sure are fast. They'll start getting active around sunset and if you are in a good area you can expend a LOT of ammo. Lots of fun, BE SAFE.

Well, I'm bringing 200 rounds and the daily limit is 15. If I go through all that ammo, I'm going home :yawn:

The-Dullahan
09-04-10, 02:01 AM
My Boss has a massive gun around 8 feet long she said was for hunting ducks. Apparently they have been recorded to take down entire flocks in one shot by wealthy Englishmen. I cannot for the life of me imagine why that was necessary, but I presume a form of extravagant luxury may have had something to do with it's inception. Last time I saw said rifle it was "down for repair" but should be ultimately functional. For the effort of such a rifle, why not just take a Musketoon. Don't get shot and have fun.

77CDV
09-04-10, 02:27 AM
As long as you're not going with Mr. Cheney, you should be fine. :halo:

hueterm
09-04-10, 06:57 AM
He was hunting quail....those are apparently different, somehow...

The-Dullahan
09-04-10, 01:15 PM
He was hunting quail....those are apparently different, somehow...

Well it's an easy mistake. Humans and Quail are rather similar in appearance and habit.

hueterm
09-04-10, 02:11 PM
Well, all my body parts are intact, and there are 6 fewer dirty little grey birds flapping about:

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/extfar.jpg

My truck is WAY too clean to be sloshing around cow pasture, waiting to get sprayed by birdshot...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/mikeext.jpg

Me and the EXT, getting ready to change locations...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/extpasture.jpg

More cow pasture...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/onemoretogo.jpg

The carnage...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/extnear.jpg

OK...let's go....

All in all, it was OK.....kind of like a Civil War reenactment, but we may go back again tomorrow.....

Submariner409
09-04-10, 03:04 PM
My Boss has a massive gun around 8 feet long she said was for hunting ducks. Apparently they have been recorded to take down entire flocks in one shot by wealthy Englishmen. I cannot for the life of me imagine why that was necessary, but I presume a form of extravagant luxury may have had something to do with it's inception. Last time I saw said rifle it was "down for repair" but should be ultimately functional. For the effort of such a rifle, why not just take a Musketoon. Don't get shot and have fun.

That long gun is probably a variant of a "punt gun", a large bore muzzleloader shotgun used by commercial duck hunters on the Eastern flyways many years ago. Several of these laid over the bow of a flatboat and splayed out could, as you posted, kill an entire flock of ducks at one large BOOM ! Many examples are in the marine museums here on the Chesapeake Bay.

Ranger
09-04-10, 10:20 PM
Sounds like you had a good time and have been bitten by the "bug". Next is duck, pheasant and deer. :thumbsup:

Jesda
09-04-10, 10:24 PM
Nice trip!!!

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/hunting%20pics/extfar.jpg
This is the part where I would usually call for a tow.

77CDV
09-04-10, 10:32 PM
It's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

hueterm
09-04-10, 10:39 PM
I would go duck hunting, as there are some very good places to do so here in Arkansas. Deer...eh...not so much.... I don't want to get mistaken for the prey...

gdwriter
09-05-10, 02:11 AM
This is the part where I would usually call for a tow.:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Too true.

Submariner409
09-05-10, 11:30 AM
Well, I got inquisitive - Google "punt gun". You should get a first page with 3 YouTube clips near the top. Watch them - pretty impressive for a black powder muzzleloader.

Destroyer
09-06-10, 02:58 PM
Personally I never understood what joy doing things like this brings, especially when it's something like shooting little birds or harmless deer. It's just not impressive. Go kill a bear with your bare hands and I'll be impressed. Then again, I never understood what fun fishing is either. :lildevil:

hueterm
09-06-10, 04:54 PM
Then again, most of us don't understand your vendetta against the N*, either...

orconn
09-06-10, 05:54 PM
Personally I never understood what joy doing things like this brings, especially when it's something like shooting little birds or harmless deer. It's just not impressive. Go kill a bear with your bare hands and I'll be impressed. Then again, I never understood what fun fishing is either. :lildevil:

Hunting can still be justified, in any parts of the world, as a source of protein for amn and beast. Here in the U.S. there is a definite need for herd population control. This is not only the case to prevent damage to fruit and vegetable gardens and farms as well as residential landscaping, but also to cut down on the highway hazard auto/deer collisions. Ultimately the thinning of the deers herds needs constant attention to keep the deer from starving to death due to over population. All these reasons are also applicable to bird populations in some parts of the U.S.

Obviously you live a life sheltered from the problems of over abundant wildlife, that's fine, but don't be so self absorbed to think that hunting serves no useful purpose for those who live and work in environments where hunting is a source of food or is in need of management.

Submariner409
09-06-10, 07:00 PM
Sounds like he prefers his pork and beef in nice shrinkwrap supermarket packages - regardless if the pig was shot in the brain with a nickel plated .22 revolver and butchered while still quivering, or the cow was bludgeoned with a sledgehammer and dressed unconscious. Ever been to a slaughterhouse, Destroyer ??? You eat fish, stone crab, fried chicken, alligator tidbits ???

The annual deer harvest in Maryland is on the order of 100,000 head+, and that still doesn't stop the overbreeding. There are several areas here where white tail deer starve to death due to food depletion by the absolute herds of the brown rats. A little known fact is that there are now more deer East of the Mississippi than when Columbus landed here: We don't eat 'em 24/7/365. I guess the "Indians" went to the local Piggly Wiggly for food.

The-Dullahan
09-10-10, 03:35 AM
The second you said Punt Gun it clicked. That's what I was talking about. can't find an image of one quite like hers, but that is most definitely what she had. Not surprising, considering someplace among her sheds and hangars, she probably has everything from The Spear of Destiny to a nuclear warhead.

The-Dullahan
09-10-10, 03:43 AM
I never understood what fun fishing is.

True and to each their own. I am uncertain about how "fun" fishing is and I currently live in Florida, which is apparently renowned for it's fishing, but I do recall growing up in Pennsylvania and feeding my family night and night again by fishing, all through the warmer months.

As for killing bears, I somehow feel the bears in question weren't hardly the adversaries the hunters claim of them. Ever see a man mount a bear to appear to be humbly drinking from a quiet stream?

Jesda
09-10-10, 04:52 AM
I absolutely despise deer. Anyone willing to kill them is my friend.

Destroyer
09-10-10, 11:18 AM
Hunting can still be justified, in any parts of the world, as a source of protein for amn and beast. Here in the U.S. there is a definite need for herd population control. This is not only the case to prevent damage to fruit and vegetable gardens and farms as well as residential landscaping, but also to cut down on the highway hazard auto/deer collisions. Ultimately the thinning of the deers herds needs constant attention to keep the deer from starving to death due to over population. All these reasons are also applicable to bird populations in some parts of the U.S.

Obviously you live a life sheltered from the problems of over abundant wildlife, that's fine, but don't be so self absorbed to think that hunting serves no useful purpose for those who live and work in environments where hunting is a source of food or is in need of management.I know it serves a useful purpose, never said it didn't. I'm not hugging a Bambi doll and tearing up here. Lets be real though, very few are out there doing it for that purpose. People do it because they enjoy hunting, that part I don't understand........... doing it for fun. I watch the hunting shows on the Discovery channel and all that. Looks boring. Easier to buy meat at the supermarket.

hueterm
09-10-10, 11:35 AM
I'm not by any stretch the hunting fanatic. The only reason I went dove hunting is that it's on a co-worker's land, I didn't have to pay to hunt, he kept asking if I wanted to go, and my friend REALLY wanted to go.

I'd rather go shoot sporting clays, skeet, or trap, personally....

My friend may have been turned off a little bit by it when he got the mangy little doves home and started cleaning them, and then fleas started jumping all over him. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to try duck hunting once, probably -- the lodge has a guide, they drive you to your blind, they clean, prep, and package what you catch.... Much less hassle, however much more $$$.

gdwriter
09-10-10, 03:14 PM
Since I have no use for doves, quail, deer, etc., I have no interest in hunting, but I have no objections to anybody that does. Plus, I'm a lousy shot. Whenever we went to the rifle range when I went to Cub Scout camp, I was lucky to hit the target board at all, much less the actual target. My sister, on the other hand, hit a bullseye the first time she fired a gun.

orconn
09-10-10, 04:29 PM
I am very happy that Hueterm survived his "armed" encounter with the doves and will be with us, at least until his next adventure into abundant game lands of Arkansas, to contribute his insight to our daily reading!

Destroyer
09-10-10, 10:04 PM
Since I have no use for doves, quail, deer, etc., I have no interest in hunting, but I have no objections to anybody that does.I don't either. I am simply curious as to where the fun is at in it? I take it the hunter eats the meat from the kill? Too much work for me. Then again, I am a "city slicker". :thumbsup:

Destroyer
09-10-10, 10:05 PM
Then again, most of us don't understand your vendetta against the N*, either...

I think I've calmed down quite a bit on that. No "vendetta", I just think they are junk. :bouncy:

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:25 AM
LOL Destroyer.

Doves taste kind of like a gamey chicken liver....I don't plan on eating anymore.

My friend that I took with me cleaned them and cooked them w/bacon and onions. They were edible, but that was about it. There is hardly any meat on them. He went and cleaned the second day's kill and saw fleas jumping off of them and got grossed out and threw them away.

I don't blame him.

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:26 AM
I don't either. I am simply curious as to where the fun is at in it? I take it the hunter eats the meat from the kill? Too much work for me. Then again, I am a "city slicker". :thumbsup:

Basically because they are very hard to shoot, since they're very fast and very small.

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:28 AM
I am very happy that Hueterm survived his "armed" encounter with the doves and will be with us, at least until his next adventure into abundant game lands of Arkansas, to contribute his insight to our daily reading!

Thank you.

My EXT survived as well, w/o any shotgun damage. My friend's XTerra, however -- not so much. His window got cracked by shotshell spray. He was P-I-S-S-E-D!

Destroyer
09-11-10, 12:30 AM
LOL Destroyer.

He went and cleaned the second day's kill and saw fleas jumping off of them and got grossed out and threw them away.

Figured the fleas would add a little spice :cool2:

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:31 AM
They might if they'd stayed with the doves, instead of making a beeline to his two bull mastiffs and one lab.....

gdwriter
09-11-10, 12:36 AM
Too much work for me. Then again, I am a "city slicker".Me, too. I only buy boneless chicken breasts. :rofl:

hueterm
09-11-10, 12:41 AM
Same here -- and I usually have to do a gristlectomy to those.....I hate dealing w/a whole chicken, much less those flea ridden feather lollypops that you have to gut....

I told my host (co-worker) that I wasn't going to keep or eat them, and I would only go if there was someone I could give them to that would use them. (Then my friend took them, and I ended up trying them anyway.)

Destroyer
09-11-10, 01:04 AM
Same here -- and I usually have to do a gristlectomy to those.....I hate dealing w/a whole chicken, much less those flea ridden feather lollypops that you have to gut....

I told my host (co-worker) that I wasn't going to keep or eat them, and I would only go if there was someone I could give them to that would use them. (Then my friend took them, and I ended up trying them anyway.)I was at Sam's Club today and they sell a whole rotisserie chicken for $4.99. Why the hell would I go kill and pluck one? :hmm:

Destroyer
09-11-10, 01:05 AM
They might if they'd stayed with the doves, instead of making a beeline to his two bull mastiffs and one lab.....
Oh that sucks! :(

The-Dullahan
09-12-10, 01:09 AM
I was at Sam's Club today and they sell a whole rotisserie chicken for $4.99. Why the hell would I go kill and pluck one? :hmm:

Agreed, but I avoid precooked food (Or was it just seasoned, but uncooked?)

I am not about to purchase a chicken to raise it, kill it, pluck it and cook it, just to eat it, but if I already HAD said chicken running about, it wouldn't be long before I'd be outside with a pot, up to my elbows in the garden picking vegetables and getting the stew ready...

I do however sometimes end up with live chickens, geese or occasionally ducks, when need be, though comparatively, my snakes are better off sticking with rodents and pigs for their nutritional value and even so, possum, raccoon, wild rabbit and armadillo are far more easy to acquire than chickens.

77CDV
09-12-10, 03:04 AM
True and to each their own. I am uncertain about how "fun" fishing is and I currently live in Florida, which is apparently renowned for it's fishing, but I do recall growing up in Pennsylvania and feeding my family night and night again by fishing, all through the warmer months.

An Irishman who dislikes fishing? How is this possible?!? :confused:

gdwriter
09-12-10, 03:20 AM
My Dad is an avid fisherman, and he'll actually eat what he catches. There was a time when I was a kid when we were having the fish my Dad caught every Friday and I made the crack asking if we were becoming Catholic (I grew up Baptist, but my sisters and I are all now Lutherans). On one occasion when he was visiting, he fried up some fish he had caught, and it stunk up my whole house. I told him next time, he was banished to frying his fish out in the garage. :histeric:

Jesda
09-12-10, 03:53 AM
I always thought it was fascinating to watch my mom gut the fish that she caught. I remember kicking around the still-beating heart on the concrete and getting yelled at.

The-Dullahan
09-12-10, 04:23 AM
An Irishman who dislikes fishing? How is this possible?!? :confused:

I never said I DISLIKE fishing and I actually have many a fond memory of spending afternoons doing that in my youth...and trying not to be eaten alive by bears. As for Oceanic fishing, I have only actually done that a small number of times. Twice on boats in the gulf and a few times from the beaches on the piers. Being Irish, beaches are not common destinations for me, though I truly enjoyed cruising up and down the beach in West Palm, so maybe they are fun when you have a car. Fishing in the salt water is interesting, as you catch everything from sea turtles to stingrays to pelicans, but fishing in Freshwater in Florida is odd too, because I've always caught otter and a few alligators. Looking back at it now, it is something that every single member of my natural family has done and enjoyed doing, with the exception of my Mum, who hates fish and my one full-blooded brother, who has always been the sit-inside-and-play-games-on-the-computer type.

I believe his life achievements are "I work at Diznee World!" and "I was a moderator on this video game Forum" I often ponder how I am supposedly related to this one, because he has nothing whatsoever in common with me and, like my sister, who is my only other full-blooded relative, I look nothing like him, leading to common suspicion that I was adopted, but I always doubt that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-10, 09:10 AM
I always thought it was fascinating to watch my mom gut the fish that she caught. I remember kicking around the still-beating heart on the concrete and getting yelled at.

Disgusting. Internal organs have always grossed me out. I've never been able to dissect anything we had to in high school....cow eyes, deer hearts, etc etc.

Submariner409
09-12-10, 01:29 PM
Disgusting. Internal organs have always grossed me out. I've never been able to dissect anything we had to in high school....cow eyes, deer hearts, etc etc.

You would just love hanging, bleeding and gutting a 95 pound doe............

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-12-10, 01:32 PM
Yeah, not so much, lol. I do however LOVE eating them.

Submariner409
09-12-10, 01:55 PM
Yeah, not so much, lol. I do however LOVE eating them.

Don't know about other states, but in MD if you or someone you see hits a deer with a vehicle there's an 800 number to call - an animal control truck shows up, they take the deer and butcher, package and freeze it and portion it out to feed to prisoners in the detention centers.

orconn
09-12-10, 02:02 PM
I believe that's the case here in VA also. Although Animal Controll has see multiple cutbacks due to state budget shortfalls don't know if the program is still in afffect.

The-Dullahan
09-12-10, 11:21 PM
At least they're making good use of the fallen deer. I don't know about kicking around fish hearts, but I used to gut trout too, but always killed them first. Seemed more "humane". Humans, I couldn't really care about. I've sen all kinds of things happen to people after they died, and proudly caused quite a few, myself.

hueterm
09-13-10, 08:13 PM
You are definitely bizarre...ignore = ON

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-13-10, 09:02 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/marilyn-manson-now-going-doortodoor-trying-to-shoc,459/

orconn
09-13-10, 09:17 PM
Actually the article, that accompanies the above article, about the "Lousiest ancient ribe in the pre-Colombian Amazon" was very amusing! Apparently this minor civilization was so inept a copying superior cultures nearby the the archiologist who discovered the site are willing to pass up grant money, just so they don't to complete their analysis of the site and its' culture! Imagine American (or any other nationality) academics passing on a funded multi-year free ride from the government or an institution .... must be some kind of a first for academia! I'll bet they get censured by others in their field and will have to find a new career!

Destroyer
09-13-10, 11:30 PM
Humans, I couldn't really care about. I've sen all kinds of things happen to people after they died, and proudly caused quite a few, myself.
So you are telling us that you caused the death of .................who????

hueterm
09-13-10, 11:37 PM
Just look in the back of his hearse...they're probably still in there...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-14-10, 01:31 AM
He wishes.

Going by that logic, I've laid thousands of women.

RightTurn
09-15-10, 10:03 PM
So you are telling us that you caused the death of .................who????

Please. Don't encourage him. :coffee:

hueterm
09-15-10, 10:10 PM
Oh, please....since I've ignored him, I can :Poke: as much as I want, with nary a repercussion.... ;-p

RightTurn
09-16-10, 10:38 PM
:blink:

hueterm
09-16-10, 11:01 PM
Hahahaha