: Creaks and Squeaks

embassy
09-03-10, 02:26 PM
Really loving my SRX except for what I call the creaks and squeaks. These are different than a rattle (had one of those and it was the rear passenger side window channel loose). This is more like plastic rubbing on plastic sound. I have three right now - one appears to come and go depending on the recline of my drivers seat. By changing the angle slightly I can make it disappear for a day or two. I have another squeak that seems to be coming from the right rear area - still cannot track it down. The last two days I have one develop that appears to be from the drivers door or on the dash on the drivers side. Squeaks and creaks almost continuosly except on about a one mile stretch of brand new pavement.

I realize that I am going to get a rougher ride with 20" tires, but these squeaks and creaks are starting to drive me crazy (pun intended). My 04 CTS and my 07 STS were very quiet inside. None of these noises. Just came back from a 3000 mile road trip in our Chrysler Town and Country and it was real quiet as well.

Anyone else hearing these things or do I just have a poorly fit SRX? The squeaks and creaks seem to be more pronounced when going over bumps that "torque" the vehicle (ie hitting bumps with only the right or left tires).

2010sled
09-03-10, 03:04 PM
take it to the dealer let them track it dowm.

Razorecko
09-03-10, 06:36 PM
cadillacs/gm vehicles are hit and miss like that. Some people get ones that are built really tight and other ones are held togethor by spit n' glue

doctormstein1
09-03-10, 07:01 PM
Really loving my SRX except for what I call the creaks and squeaks. These are different than a rattle (had one of those and it was the rear passenger side window channel loose). This is more like plastic rubbing on plastic sound. I have three right now - one appears to come and go depending on the recline of my drivers seat. By changing the angle slightly I can make it disappear for a day or two. I have another squeak that seems to be coming from the right rear area - still cannot track it down. The last two days I have one develop that appears to be from the drivers door or on the dash on the drivers side. Squeaks and creaks almost continuosly except on about a one mile stretch of brand new pavement.

I realize that I am going to get a rougher ride with 20" tires, but these squeaks and creaks are starting to drive me crazy (pun intended). My 04 CTS and my 07 STS were very quiet inside. None of these noises. Just came back from a 3000 mile road trip in our Chrysler Town and Country and it was real quiet as well.

Anyone else hearing these things or do I just have a poorly fit SRX? The squeaks and creaks seem to be more pronounced when going over bumps that "torque" the vehicle (ie hitting bumps with only the right or left tires).

Got mine last day of June. Thank god so far I have no complaints with no rattles. However, I can see that it could drive you up a wall.

TheCaptain
09-03-10, 11:26 PM
Do you use any interior protectant?
Being in and out of my vehicles, dad's, and friends over the last 10 years i have definately noticed that using a good interior protectant not only makes finishes last longer, it kills squeaks and creaks.
I have a 91 Caprice Classic that is dead silent inside. :D

Smokin' SRX
09-04-10, 12:44 AM
open the sunroof all the way. Put WD-40 on a rag and liberally coat the rubber everywhere. Open/close few times. (best with engine running) Do it on sunny day so you can air out cabin a while (wd-40 has odor)

helped me many times on my '04 Srx which had a massive sunroof.

SS

stevec5375
09-04-10, 10:26 AM
open the sunroof all the way. Put WD-40 on a rag and liberally coat the rubber everywhere. Open/close few times. (best with engine running) Do it on sunny day so you can air out cabin a while (wd-40 has odor)

SS

Petroleum-based products are usually not good for rubber--even though the WD-40 web site claims otherwise.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/uses_apps/industries/auto_squeak_rattle.html

TheCaptain
09-04-10, 11:33 AM
Oh yea, that interior protectant should go on everything that isn't paint or glass. It's a saviour to quieten many a squeaky vehicle up, protect all the door seals, sunroof seals, bump stops (hood/liftgate).

Marc NY
09-04-10, 10:52 PM
cadillacs/gm vehicles are hit and miss like that. Some people get ones that are built really tight and other ones are held togethor by spit n' glue:umno: Your off the shoulder comments sounds like someone that truly doesn't know or understand variation and or the assembly process at all.

Oh yes it is only a Cadillac/ GM problem right? :helpless:

embassy
09-05-10, 12:19 AM
That was one of things that I was wondering about - whether the massive sunroof was causing some of the squeaks and creaks.

The one that started a couple of days ago is one of those that comes and goes. Left town for a couple of days for the long weekend. First half hour of the trip was on fairly smooth and straight highway. No squeaks and vehicle nice and quiet. Got on a very twisty and hilly highway for the next hour and a half and the "new creak and squeak" came back and was almost continuous during the rest of the drive.

One of the difficulties is determining where it is coming from. Sitting normally in the drivers seat I could swear the noise was coming from the drivers door. Moved my head so that it as against the drivers door (a little tough driving a mountainous highway in the position) and the noise then seemed to be coming from either the room area or the upper console area. My wife who was the squeak detector in the backseat thought that it was coming from the front passenger seat.

SS

DarrinMI
09-05-10, 06:02 AM
When my SRX was new I had the same problem and it drove me nuts. Opening and closing the sunroof and the sunshade a few times seemed to do the trick for me.

Razorecko
09-05-10, 10:31 PM
:umno: Your off the shoulder comments sounds like someone that truly doesn't know or understand variation and or the assembly process at all.

Oh yes it is only a Cadillac/ GM problem right? :helpless:

uhh yea. It is hit or miss. My '10 srx is extremely quiet. Oddly enough my 09 V in the beginning was making all kinds of noises. I used a special lubricant to seal all the rubber seals on the doors and ultraview roof. And had the roof recalibrated. It is now fine except for a few noises it'll make in the hot weather with the a/c on inside. My 09 tacoma is solid as a brick, my 2 previous jeep srt-8's. One an 07' and one an '08 were both also solid. I can go on and on.

embassy
09-06-10, 12:29 AM
Just got home from my two day trip, so going to head down to the local auto parts store tomorrow and get some lubricant. First half hour of the trip home was great - no noises. Then all of a sudden I went around a tight corner and it started again. Progressively got worse so that it was almost constant on every joint in the road or on a bridge. Four of us in the vehicle and the other three seem to think that is coming from the joint where the movable part of the sunroof meets the non movable part.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will lube all the rubber and see what happens. Will update when this gets solved in case anyone else encounters this.

embassy
09-10-10, 03:44 PM
Quick update. My wife calls it a rattle, I would more call it a creak or squeak. Whatever you want to call it, it has been really bugging me. Finally tracked it down as I was driving the other day to the front left edge of the sunroof. By pushing up on the roof liner right at that corner I could make it stop. By tapping on the roof liner I could duplicate the sound. So off I go to my dealer and they have a look at it. As the service advisor is checking it out, he also found a spot in the roof liner just about the B pillar where it was doing the same thing. So leave the SRX with the "trim expert" for the day to see what he could do. They tightened up the "loose" sunroof mounting frame in 3 locations and applied adhesive to the roof liner to stop vibration and creaking noise. Also found that my rattling noise #3 was coming from the rear passenger window channel which was loose again. This is the second time that this channel has come loose. Service advisor said that he hopes that they got it tightened enough this time. He has had 5 SRXs now come in with the same problem, and a couple like mine have had to come back with the same problem. All of them have been with the rear door window channels.

Nice to have a quiet vehicle again!

embassy
09-11-10, 09:20 PM
Well, I spoke prematurely. Vehicle was all quiet yesterday and was very enjoyable. This morning I hit a very small bump in the road and the rattle/squeak/creak from the roof liner sunroof area was back. So whatever they did to fix it didn't work.

Ho hum. Back to the dealer again on Monday. Two months and this is the 4th time into the dealer. Good thing I am only about 5 miles away.

TheCaptain
09-12-10, 02:52 AM
That sucks man. It's too bad everybody can't have mine. Seven months and its been to the dealer twice. Once for their "oops" involving a license plate bracket that wasn't supposed to be on, and another for an oil change. :D

embassy
09-12-10, 01:21 PM
I did have your experience Captain with my 07 STS. It was only in once for a warranty issue and that was an engine control module failure. Other than that only oil changes and routine maintenance every 6 months. Guess my streak of luck has ended.

embassy
09-16-10, 01:44 AM
Well, I am getting to be one frustrated SRX owner. Sunroof or roof liner seemed to be fixed, but it only lasted for 24 hours and the squeaks/creaks/rattles were all back. Took it back to the dealer and they tightened the sunroof frame again and lubed everything. The tech and foreman road tested it and they still had a squeak/creak. Added more lube and this time the service adviser went for a ride as well. All three pronounced it SCR (squeak/creak/rattle) free. I picked it up and made it 3/4 of the way home. Hit a bump and the most prominent of the SCRs returned. I am able to stop it by pushing up on the roof liner at the front corner. This was supposed to have been fixed on the last visit.

Went out tonight for a 60km drive and so far will conclude that today they fixed 2 out of the 3 SCRs, but the worst one is actually worse than before it went in the first time.

Not exactly what I expected from a $62,000 vehicle!

Back to the dealer again tomorrow.

:nono:

RightTurn
09-19-10, 03:51 AM
$62,000??? :wtf:

TheCaptain
09-19-10, 08:20 AM
$62,000??? :wtf:

Canadian Pricing RT. Yes, we really get it good up here. (Base starts at $42 xxx, Turbo Premium for $65 000) :banghead:
But at least we get the service and maintenance free on 2010's! (and a few previous model years for the Caddy lineup!) :yup:

embassy
09-21-10, 02:00 PM
Canadian Pricing RT. Yes, we really get it good up here. (Base starts at $42 xxx, Turbo Premium for $65 000) :banghead:
But at least we get the service and maintenance free on 2010's! (and a few previous model years for the Caddy lineup!) :yup:

And don't forget we get the donut spare as well. A real bargain! :crying2:

TheCaptain
09-21-10, 04:01 PM
And the smoker's package!

stevec5375
09-21-10, 06:08 PM
And the smoker's package!

I'm sure your Universal Health Care just luvs GM for that! LOL!!

TheCaptain
09-21-10, 08:23 PM
I'm sure your Universal Health Care just luvs GM for that! LOL!!

I'll let you know in six months to a year! lol