: First week of ownership- 1,200 mile cruise from Big D to Charleston, SC

Southern Buckeye
09-03-10, 11:34 AM
Greetings All,

Flew to DFW to pick up my 2011 V sedan in TG chromaflair from Jerry's Cadillac in Weathersford, Tx. Dealer had car all set in their indoor showroom. Car had previously been titled, then returned in 13 days with 715 miles on it. When I saw it post on Ebay, I had some reservations but after talking to salesman- Fred Widmayer, he assured me it was returned for reasons other than would be associated with a lemon- I gave him a deposit over the phone and we made a gentleman's agreement that if the car wasn't what he said it was when I flew out in person, I would walk away- albeit, $400 lighter in the wallet from my plane ticket and two days wasted.

Car was indeed in "as new" condition. All the books, keys, etc. I was just blown away seeing it in person for the first time. My local dealer had a silver model which was nice but the Thunder Gray, man, just awesome. We rolled out of the showroom and I was sold within 10 minutes of sliding behind the wheel! Ya' all know the deal- gobs and gobs of power, that new leather smell- where do I sign?! I just had to have it . I was literally in/out of finance in 1 minute= NO BS ! I had a check drawn up prior to flying out from my bank right down to the penny. Signed my name in two places and began my drive back to Mt Pleasant, SC.

I spent the next two blissful days blasting across the Gulf and it was just, well, every man should take a trip like this once in his life, should life afford him the chance to do so. The combination of the open road and 556 HP at my disposal- what more could you ask for? What stands out to me is the way the car tracks at speed. On a couple of wide open stretches I ran the car up to about 130 mph. That is not my normal driving modus but after blasts to 80, 90, then 100. Well, it just felt so comfortable. Some might consider that reckless and I might not disagree...but at that moment, it was all good and right. I found the car to be intuitive. As I left Dallas, it was storming like mad. Being unfamiliar with the road, the car, plus about an hour of heavy thunderstorms might ordinarily unnerve a driver but the car just kind of lead me down the road. Everything was where it should have been to my liking and the faux suede on the wheel gave that little extra bit of control and comfort. Speaking of comfort- the Recaros- not so much- a little on the hard side, but a week later and it feels like they are softening just a bit, almost like breaking in a good saddle. Besides, it IS a performance vehicle. The multiple adjustments help tremendously and having AC ventilated, well, I feel like I'm just spoiled rotten!

Which is probably my prevailing impression. Those of us fortunate to have a car of this caliber, I like to say- we must be livin right! The looks of envious smiles when I got back to the neighborhood- HA ! It just makes me literally laugh out loud! "What is it"? " It doesn't look like a Cadillac"! "How much horsepower..you gotta be kidding me"? "Take me for a ride"! Ah Cadillac- homerun, baby, home freakin run! Will post some pics when I stop driving it every spare second.

God Bless America on this Labor day wk.-end.

Signed,

Southern Buckeye- proud owner of the best American car I've ever owned.

snzuloz
09-03-10, 12:20 PM
Nice write-up, glad your enjoying the new ride! You followed the breakin procedure I see (just like me, except the 130mph part). Been several months for me now and I still enjoy it as much as when I first got in it.

e6t
09-03-10, 12:25 PM
Greetings All,

Flew to DFW to pick up my 2011 V sedan in TG chromaflair from Jerry's Cadillac in Weathersford, Tx. Dealer had car all set in their indoor showroom. Car had previously been titled, then returned in 13 days with 715 miles on it. When I saw it post on Ebay, I had some reservations but after talking to salesman- Fred Widmayer, he assured me it was returned for reasons other than would be associated with a lemon- I gave him a deposit over the phone and we made a gentleman's agreement that if the car wasn't what he said it was when I flew out in person, I would walk away- albeit, $400 lighter in the wallet from my plane ticket and two days wasted.

Car was indeed in "as new" condition. All the books, keys, etc. I was just blown away seeing it in person for the first time. My local dealer had a silver model which was nice but the Thunder Gray, man, just awesome. We rolled out of the showroom and I was sold within 10 minutes of sliding behind the wheel! Ya' all know the deal- gobs and gobs of power, that new leather smell- where do I sign?! I just had to have it . I was literally in/out of finance in 1 minute= NO BS ! I had a check drawn up prior to flying out from my bank right down to the penny. Signed my name in two places and began my drive back to Mt Pleasant, SC.

I spent the next two blissful days blasting across the Gulf and it was just, well, every man should take a trip like this once in his life, should life afford him the chance to do so. The combination of the open road and 556 HP at my disposal- what more could you ask for? What stands out to me is the way the car tracks at speed. On a couple of wide open stretches I ran the car up to about 130 mph. That is not my normal driving modus but after blasts to 80, 90, then 100. Well, it just felt so comfortable. Some might consider that reckless and I might not disagree...but at that moment, it was all good and right. I found the car to be intuitive. As I left Dallas, it was storming like mad. Being unfamiliar with the road, the car, plus about an hour of heavy thunderstorms might ordinarily unnerve a driver but the car just kind of lead me down the road. Everything was where it should have been to my liking and the faux suede on the wheel gave that little extra bit of control and comfort. Speaking of comfort- the Recaros- not so much- a little on the hard side, but a week later and it feels like they are softening just a bit, almost like breaking in a good saddle. Besides, it IS a performance vehicle. The multiple adjustments help tremendously and having AC ventilated, well, I feel like I'm just spoiled rotten!

Which is probably my prevailing impression. Those of us fortunate to have a car of this caliber, I like to say- we must be livin right! The looks of envious smiles when I got back to the neighborhood- HA ! It just makes me literally laugh out loud! "What is it"? " It doesn't look like a Cadillac"! "How much horsepower..you gotta be kidding me"? "Take me for a ride"! Ah Cadillac- homerun, baby, home freakin run! Will post some pics when I stop driving it every spare second.

Signed,

my buddy bought his v from jerry's... great place.

also, i know the story behind the car you bought, as it was offered to me. apparently the guy that bought it originally, did so without his wife's knowledge and she flipped out and made him take it back. word is was supposed to buy a suburban and came home with the v. needless to say, he ultimately ended up with the suburban.

i would have bought the car if i could have gotten 0%... good pick up.

Southern Buckeye
09-03-10, 12:56 PM
That is exactly what I was told by the dealer- can you imagine? "Uh, no honey, take back the fastest sedan ever produced and bring us back a big fat pig of a suburban"!

I was actually able to speak with him also though not through the dealer. All he said was there was nothing wrong with the car and he had taken it back for personal reasons. Kind of felt for the guy.

Southern Buckeye
09-03-10, 01:00 PM
You know, I figured the previous owner may have been, at the very minimum, exhuberant, knowing he was taking it back. As soon as I hit 1,500 miles I took it to 100. I was fairly gentle with it to that point keeping it in automatic mode with the tac down. Are you using it as your daily driver?

Vcoupe11
09-03-10, 01:07 PM
Southern Buckeye,
Thanks for the write up. As I read that I imagined being thrown back in my office chair as you hit the go pedal on the way to 130, Yahooo!!

Gary

garfin
09-03-10, 01:12 PM
Great write-up and thanks for sharing your thoughts! Definitely a great way to get to know a car should you have that opportunity - that being on a road trip rather than numerous short jaunts (which can be fun as well!).
I think all of us here can appreciate your elation with the car and know where you're coming from! :thumbsup:
I had the opportunity to take the V on a road trip from Toronto -> Boston -> Mystic -> Block Island and back Toronto shortly after it arrived and I must say that experience really gave me a great understanding and appreciation of these cars.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car and the experience! May you drive it only in good health!!

Best regards,

Elie

baabootoo
09-03-10, 01:12 PM
Yeah, nice trip for sure. Reminds me back in the day of my motorcycle ride with Peter Fonda.......... :)

b4z
09-03-10, 02:11 PM
Glad you finally got it. Congrats!
If you see a silver '06 GTO with hyperblack wheels in Mt. P That's me.
I'll throw you a wave or a rev or something.

neuronbob
09-03-10, 02:14 PM
LOL at that story!

JFJr
09-04-10, 08:37 AM
Your enthusiasm really came through! I feel the same way every time I drive the "V," and I've owned mine for about 19 months. Too bad about the poor sucker that had to take the car back. He has his priorities all wrong; none of it is that good ... (Ha haa!) :lildevil:

Jud

Caddyscat
09-05-10, 01:19 AM
Great story. Thunder gray is indeed a tough color to beat. Play with the recaros, you'll love em.

mugatu22
09-05-10, 02:43 AM
also, i know the story behind the car you bought, as it was offered to me. apparently the guy that bought it originally, did so without his wife's knowledge and she flipped out and made him take it back. word is was supposed to buy a suburban and came home with the v. needless to say, he ultimately ended up with the suburban.

And why would a man marry a woman like this? Emasculation at its finest.

Congrats on the purchase, btw. Enjoy.

Gary Wells
09-05-10, 08:01 AM
And why would a man marry a woman like this? Emasculation at its finest.

Congrats on the purchase, btw. Enjoy.

Maybe she wasn't that way when they married.

e6t
09-05-10, 12:59 PM
my wife would never make me return a car i purchased without her knowledge.

she would just bitch about it every day for the rest of my life. returning it would be too easy!

Teutonaddict
09-05-10, 01:45 PM

Signed,

Agree on all counts! Thanks for the great write-up. Took me right back to my drive home a year ago...

EuroTrash
09-05-10, 04:46 PM
should have kept the car, and traded the wife in for a newer model.

I hear in some states its just a few forms.

Southern Buckeye
09-06-10, 11:54 AM
Just had the chance to read the responses to my thread. This is a great site and you all have really made me feel at home. I'm not one to post much because of the ridicule I've seen others face (other sites) at even the simplest of opinion- pure trash on occasion. Quite different here obviously. Looking forward to years of reading, writing and responding. Ya' all take good care.

Southern Buckeye

Tony407
09-06-10, 04:07 PM
That is WAY cool. So awesome that you're enjoying your new car so much. Congratulations and welcome to the V club!

Tony

thebigjimsho
09-06-10, 04:42 PM
Sounds like my kind of guy. Flew to San Antonio and drove my V back to Boston. Man, I need another long trip. And Boston to Detroit doesn't count. I need 1500+ miles each way, at least...