: Visual differences in 472 vs 500

09-02-10, 11:38 PM
hey everyone, new to the board.
Anyone know a way to visually tell if an engine is a 472cc versus a 500cc?

thanks for any info you can give me.

09-03-10, 12:00 AM
The 68/69 472s have a different block#. The best test of 70-76 is check the stroke. The 70-74 Eldo is 500 (special pan); all 75-76 (except Seville 350) are 500. Bruce Roe

09-03-10, 12:48 AM
Hey Bruce, thanks for the info,
I've got a 70 DeVille convertible I just got. Over the years, and past owners, things got changed...paint color, interior color and trim don't match the numbers. My valve covers seem to be different from other 70 DeVilles I've seen, but they seem to match those I've seen on Eldos. On my car the driver's side valve cover has a PCV vent hole that is on the side of the valve cover facing the carb. On the other DeVille's i've seen the vent hole has been on the top of the valve cover facing outward. I just thought maybe some changes were made with the engine as well. I was looking for some visual clues without digging into the engine. I read somewhere on the internet that the 472 had a front sump oil pan and the 500 had a rear sump oil pan.......don't know if this is true or not. And also, maybe this could be swapped as well. Thanks for the reply.

09-03-10, 06:02 PM
To find out what you really have... Start with the block number and the casting number on the heads.. the number on the heads is under the rocker cover... this won't tell you if its a 472 or a 500 , but it can give you a idea of what year it is and if someone put in a 425 in there... does it have a EGR valve?

09-03-10, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply drmenard. it doesn't look like i have an EGR valve.

09-05-10, 11:54 PM
So if it is a no on the EGR, looks like it could be a 1970 intake... the 1970 motors had some 1970 only things... they had no air pump and no air tube or holes drilled in the heads...they had 2 compressor - P/S pump belts and one alt belt... if yours has these things changes are it is a 1970 motor...