: Got my carpet..but...

outsider
09-02-10, 07:08 PM
Ok so I got my carpet for my 69 calais finally...only problem is it's significantly lighter in color than it was in the pictures and thus will not match my interior.

The color is #506 which I would liken to the blue on the GM logos...I was hoping for a darker more Navy-like blue.

I've emailed the company and explained the situation, usually there is a "no return" policy on these carpets but we'll see. If not, I may have to dye the carpet! :O

Anyone ever dye an automotive carpet before? What kind of Dye etch...:crybaby:

77CDV
09-02-10, 11:53 PM
I thought you were going for a blue/white interior. Will this carpet not work with the proposed upholstery as is?

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 12:00 AM
If the carpet is uncut, they should exchange it. If not, sell it, and get the right colour. You're going with new, don't dye it now. When I had the interior of my 71 redone, everything turned out perfect. Except for the carpet. They didn't have the right shade, but I ok'd another shade. I have regretted it since, and one day will replace the carpet.

outsider
09-03-10, 08:30 AM
Yeah, my girlfriend seems to think this shade of blue will look better than the darker blue. I guess I'll just have to adapt the rest of my interior to match this shade of blue :)

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 02:21 PM
A slightly different shade for carpet can be a good thing! Contrast is nice, instead of everything being the exact same shade. Throw the carpet in, but don't cut or trim it, and see what it looks like before you make your decision.

outsider
09-03-10, 02:24 PM
Thanks Jay, I never thought of it that way before. I did plan on recoloring all of the interior parts anyways, but I was going to go with (roughly) the same dark blue with some added white...You're right it may look pretty good. It'll definately be better than the monstrosity that's in there now! There are two or three different carpets in there, all have holes and stains and burn marks....and there's like some pasta shells dried up on them...pretty nasty :D

77CDV
09-03-10, 03:38 PM
Thanks Jay, I never thought of it that way before. I did plan on recoloring all of the interior parts anyways, but I was going to go with (roughly) the same dark blue with some added white...You're right it may look pretty good. It'll definately be better than the monstrosity that's in there now! There are two or three different carpets in there, all have holes and stains and burn marks....and there's like some pasta shells dried up on them...pretty nasty :D

Pasta shells...hmmm. Was your Caddy a "family" car in a previous life?

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 04:16 PM
Think about my Impala SS interior. All the exact same colour grey. Boring. I'm putting a black carpet in for contrast.

The worst was my 65! It is maroon paint, black interior. Someone had put a RED carpet in. What a horrible choice. I put the correct black in as soon as I bought it.

The-Dullahan
09-04-10, 01:31 AM
That's the answer! I do not need a Burgundy D'elegance seat, I neeed a blue one for the driver's side and a white one for the passenger/centre, those are both common down here.

I am kidding obviously, but contrast can be a really good thing. See how it looks and remember, it is YOUR opinion of the appearance that counts, don't let outsiders influence it.

Pasta Shells? Wow. Kind of glad my car never managed to be a family car and didn't have back seats to mess around in. Somehow the condition is still horrible, externally anyhow.

77CDV
09-04-10, 02:20 AM
I don't think you understood what I meant by "family" car, Rob. :D

The-Dullahan
09-04-10, 12:57 PM
I don't think you understood what I meant by "family" car, Rob. :D

A car that is passed down in a family as a hand-me-down and has seen that same family ride about in it, progressively with less members, as they grew up, ever since said family first obtained the car, most likely as the second owners?

Bro-Ham
09-04-10, 01:22 PM
Too much! :) Dull, you, of all people, should know what a family car is... :)

77CDV
09-04-10, 10:28 PM
He knows, he's just playin'. Either that or he needs to let his garlic peek through his Gaelic. ;)