: 1500 miles later, and the verdict is in - I love this car (+ an introduction to me!)

sybersport
09-02-10, 03:05 PM
I've been a member for a little over a month now, and haven't really introduced myself. Here is my story.

I'm a Gen Y'er, and grew up on Mustang 5.0's - had a few (92 coupe and a 91 GT) - loved cars to much that I started a speed shop called Sybersport Racing (up in Winnipeg, Canada) - sold parts for 4 years and loved it. We have an NHRA drag strip 45 minutes north of Winnipeg (Gimli Motorsport Park) and I raced my Mustang in Trophy Stock bracket racing almost every weekend. Amazing car culture in Winnipeg too (the winters are horrible, so people took advantage of the summers) - cruised every Sunday evening on Portage ave. Thousands of cars were out every weekend - people would bring lawn chairs and sit on the sidewalk to watch the cars roll by.

Life changed when I decided to do my MBA in 2005... had to sell my car when I moved to Ontario, and I joined a management consulting firm when I graduated and was traveling 4 days/week for 2 years so had zero time to even think about cars.

Started a recruiting business in 2009, and ended up having the flexibility to get back into my passion for cars... looked at the S5, M3 - you know the drill. Ended up falling in love with the CTS-V as soon as I clicked the tester into 2nd gear and leaned on the gas.

Ordered my 2011 V Sedan on June 30th, and it arrived Aug 16th. Since then, I have been driving it as much as possible - and it is blowing me away. Love the power, the refinement, the class the car has...

My favorite stories so far: this car speaks to a huge demographic and people have made their appreciation of the V very clear. A few fun stories:

I was in the car wash, and a 40 something gentlemen came over and told me how much he loved the car - he was a former M5 owner and still appreciated the V
I was at the gas station, and a 60's something gentlemen came over and said "Don't worry, I won't challenge you to a race" he was driving a corolla :)
A 20 something gave me the thumbs up when I was at a light and he was crossing the street
A group of teenagers crowded around the car when I was parked at a restaurant and started pointing at the grill, looking at the exhaust

I love it.

Domsz06
09-02-10, 03:38 PM
welcome!

Yes the car is Bad to the bone and lots of fun stories will surly be had!

My favorite one on mine so far is, I'm walking out of wal-mart to my car, which is parked in a handicap place. *I legally have one of those yes* and these 2 guys, early 20's comment, "I told you that wasn't an old person car! "

I love it ;)

neuronbob
09-02-10, 04:38 PM
What a great story. Enjoy in good health!

DiamondWhtV
09-02-10, 05:05 PM
Congrats on the ride...and like most here I love watching young and old alike giving me the thumbs up or giving me compliments. But what is really interesting to me, most of them are complimenting on the car's styling...not so much about what is under the hood. Only my neighbor who is a service writer at a Chevy dealer knew what I was "packing".

JBsZ06
09-02-10, 05:49 PM
Congratulations on your car! THe CTS V is an awesome machine.

Best of luck with it and thanks for sharing your stories.

JB

JFJr
09-03-10, 08:27 AM
Congrats on the ride...and like most here I love watching young and old alike giving me the thumbs up or giving me compliments. But what is really interesting to me, most of them are complimenting on the car's styling...not so much about what is under the hood. Only my neighbor who is a service writer at a Chevy dealer knew what I was "packing".My experience, too. It's also interesting how many people are surprised that you can buy a manual transmission Cadillac. Maybe there are fewer "car guys" in my neck of the woods. But it's nice driving a sleeper and not have every kid with his cap turned sideways, driving some lowered Asian POS car with a beer can exhaust tip and insect-sound exhaust note, try to race you on the street.

Welcome, sybersport, you won't regret your purchase! Most of us have backgrounds in high performance cars, too.

Jud

snzuloz
09-03-10, 09:44 AM
Welcome Fellow Canuck, so far have noticed the sleeper look as compared to my other toy. Still enjoying every time I get out to drive it. Love the stories, I definately get some funny looks from others as they expect something older perhaps?

sybersport
09-03-10, 10:41 AM
My experience, too. It's also interesting how many people are surprised that you can buy a manual transmission Cadillac.

Jud

Funny you should say this... bumped into someone else who said they liked the car, and when I said it was a 6 speed manual, they said "You mean 6 speed auto, right?"

Nope, it's a stick shift

:lildevil:

It's also got to surprize some folks on the road who are looking at the car in motion and can "hear" that it's a manual

garfin
09-03-10, 01:47 PM
Great intro and great story, Darren! I didn't realize the kind of "car-nut" background you have! Just glad to hear that you're having a blast with the car... and again, please drive it good health!
Since a couple of people have chimed in with stories, I thought I'd pass on my experience with the V last week...

I was in a parking lot and being late for dinner, was hoping to make a hasty exit, when I noticed a fifty-something gentleman walking towards me with a rather large grin on his face.
"Beautiful car you've got there!"
"Thank you very much for noticing. Not very many people know what it is."
"It's a Cadillac, right?"
"Uh-h-h yeah, but it's a fairly rare model."
"It's a CTS, right? I see them all over the place."

The bottom line was that he was impressed with the car, without even knowing what it was. To me, this speaks volumes about what a hit Cadillac has on its hands. When I told him about the "high points" of the car, and he saw that it was a stick, he went nuts.

Not necessarily a unique story, but the kicker was that as soon as I thanked him again and right after he left, a 2nd guy came up to me immediately and I had to go through the whole schtick a second time! LOL!

Incidentally, the V saw to it that I wasn't late for dinner after all! :burn:

Best regards,

Elie