: 96 FWB croaked. (rant thread, sorry guys)

durrk johnson
09-02-10, 03:54 PM
I wasnt supossed to drive my car until I had it looked at.

I decided to drive it across town to pick up a friend and when i went to drop them off this morning, check engine light goes on th ethe freeway.

I get to the destination, pull in and pop the hood.

I look in and theres coolant all over the radiator, and dripping profusely right down to the ground.

I messed up guys...

Better yet, The closest place to tow it too in the 10 mile free road assistance tow radius was this cadillac dealership that ive went too before.

Im about to be f'd in the a. :(

Edit: One good thing about the whole mess was that the tow guy luckily had some wooden planks in his truck to put under the wheels to lift the car up when being towed onto and off the truckbed. Which gave my exhaust tips JUSTTTT enough clearance to not be damaged. I seriously had about an 1/4 inch clearance with the wooden planks. If he wouldnt have had plants, my exhaust would have been ****ed.

I also was just threw my shocks in the trunk and asked them to estimate how much it would be to install them. i have the Bilsteins HD's for the front and am still worried about my ride being too stiff if I get them installed.

outsider
09-02-10, 03:57 PM
that sucks man! Everyone makes mistakes, though. There's probably no permanent damage, but you won't know until someone who knows these cars takes a look at it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

SilverCoupe
09-02-10, 04:29 PM
Yea that bites...Hope everything goes well, and the engine is safe. I sapose the side plastic tank(s) are where it is leaking from? weak point. Anyhow best luck w/ repairs. btw, I have KYB front shocks and feels nice, but HD ones are probally stiffer huh.?

sven914
09-02-10, 05:00 PM
The check engine light and coolant loss are probably unrelated. The check engine lights informs you when there is an emission's related problem. If the Coolant Temp light didn't come on, then there was no serious damage done to the engine.

But why weren't you supposed to drive it before getting it checked out? What was it doing before?

durrk johnson
09-02-10, 05:16 PM
The check engine light and coolant loss are probably unrelated. The check engine lights informs you when there is an emission's related problem. If the Coolant Temp light didn't come on, then there was no serious damage done to the engine.

But why weren't you supposed to drive it before getting it checked out? What was it doing before?

Well the belts were making a whirring, whizzing noise and it was coming from one of the main pulleys. I was talking about that a few days ago in another thread.

So i wasnt suppossed to drive it, So I knew my car was already up to something, then, it happened, thats when a coolant line blew and the engine light came on, and Im pretty sure it happened due to the whirring and whizzing of one of the main pulleys.

sven914
09-02-10, 05:27 PM
Unless it was the water pump that was hosing the engine down, the whirring noise was something else (I just had the power steering lines replaced, under recall, on the Impala, and the pump isn't making noise anymore).

Have the dealership run the codes, because the check engine light would only come on if there was a misfire or something else that could damage the catalytic converter. Maybe coolant got into one of the sensor connectors and made the computer think there was a problem.

thefleetwoodguy
09-02-10, 06:52 PM
wet opti

outsider
09-02-10, 07:05 PM
^ OMG JIM IS ALIVE!!!!! Where have you been?! :D

thefleetwoodguy
09-02-10, 07:12 PM
Hey Matt
I sent you back a PM when you
pm'd me, guess you didnt get it
now that I think of it I didntr hear back from jayo/s,madwacker or you
weird ''''

I was flast out for 2 weeks putting together a pigsmoker
and having a christening party for my granddaughter
just getting caught up now

lets talk about the bbq.....Jim

sorry durk for HIJACKING!!! lol

jayoldschool
09-02-10, 09:27 PM
I never got a PM back from you, either...

Back OT, sort of: why is this thread five stars? Who is rating all these thread five stars automatically? Not that it really matters, but I'm curious. I mean, does a story of a guy popping a rad really rate five stars? Am I just crazy?

csbuckn
09-02-10, 11:40 PM
That was me Jay. I thought it was a legitamate 5 star thread...Just playing. Why do we rate thread anyway? Do you get something for a 5 star thread

OT, could the check engine light have something to do with the coolant line that goes by the intake being too hot and setting an Intake Air Temp code?

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 12:04 AM
lol, cool, thanks Sam, now I know I am not crazy...

thefleetwoodguy
09-03-10, 12:15 AM
jayoldschool has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space
lol

.not sure what happened , but ?I answered your pm the night you sent it
anyway , Im chopping up a 94 at the moment
but I have all kinds of stuff for 93-96
if he's still looking
thanks Jim

sven914
09-03-10, 12:47 AM
OT, could the check engine light have something to do with the coolant line that goes by the intake being too hot and setting an Intake Air Temp code?

In theory it could throw off the MAF sensor if the intake got over heated by the hose. The MAF reading would have to be severely out of spec to throw a code, and the cold air intake shouldn't that close to the radiator hose, that it could decalibrate the intake sensor. As another wrench in the IAT conspiracy; the hose would actually be cooler than normal, because of the stark lack of engine coolant being circulated.

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 12:55 AM
jayoldschool has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space
lol

oooops. Cleared out now.

Bro-Ham
09-03-10, 02:13 AM
Jay, I sent a message to you about a month ago and got the same message - some moderator you are. Sting has probably kissed Sal's feet enough to be taking your place by now. :) :)

greencadillacmatt
09-03-10, 02:47 AM
^I'm not sure who got burned more in that statement. :hmm:

jayoldschool
09-03-10, 02:24 PM
Snap, why didn't you guys tell me? Some friends... :D

Stingroo
09-03-10, 04:27 PM
Jay, I sent a message to you about a month ago and got the same message - some moderator you are. Sting has probably kissed Sal's feet enough to be taking your place by now. :) :)

Ouch. lol

I like Sal, but not THAT much. :lol:

durrk johnson
09-04-10, 05:04 AM
Dude. It was my trans cooler that burst.
they say there might be damagae to my trans.

but they said the ywont know for sure until they fix the trans cooler, fill and clean.

csbuckn
09-04-10, 09:55 AM
probably no damage if it was just the cooler, was the tranny giving you problems before

durrk johnson
09-04-10, 04:34 PM
No it wasnt, I just heard the noise coming from the pulleys, they said it was because tranny fluid was squirting on the belts, but the pulley noise was happening for 2 weeks. So I dont know if thats the case.