: New Member or maybe not

jlwilson33952
09-02-10, 12:46 AM
I thought I had joined this forum 3 years ago when I bought my first Cad a 2001 DTS Performance but wasn't able to log on so rejoined with my new[er] 2006 DTS Performance. I took the 2001 to the dealer to have a new sunroof deflector [a $104 part] installed after they had removed the old broken one. $57.50 to remove the part and prepay for the new part which would take a week. When I went back to the dealer I expected to pay about $57.50 for the reinstallation. After waiting for over an hour my car was ready [complete with the customary curtesy wash]. I paid my bill and got in the car and drove out of the service center. That's when I realized NOBODY gets out of a Cadillac dealer service center for under $100.

After 10 feet I knew something was wrong because there was this grinding sound coming from the front end everytime the steering wheel turned left or right. I backed up into the service center and asked them to look at it since it hadn't made that sound coming in. The service writer immediately called the service manager who stated that the car was never even put on the lift. They looked at it and told me the left front strut upper bearing was bad - they could replace it for $450 but had to get the part locally. 2 hours later they called me to the service advisor to tell me the right front strut was bad, an hour later the left front strut should be replaced at the same time the right front strut was replaced because it was 'old and weak'. And since I was doing both struts I should do both bearings. $975 per strut plus labor and bearings and labor I was looking at almost $3000. Ok, I say, I love the car! 2 hours later they called me to tell me they needed a new computer? compatible with the new struts? Something to do with the Stabl-Trak system?

When the bill got to be almost $4700 I said "STOP" and went to talk to my salesman who gave me $4750 on trade [I paid $15k plus a tradein POS back in March 2007 for the 2001 DTS Performance]. And he put me in a new[er] 2006 DTS Performance with 56k miles but looks like the day it was made inside and out. Not a wrinkle in the seats - not a ding or scratch. So what's another $20k if I can get rid of that other money pit!

The list of repairs on the 2001 was long - check engine lights constantly, leaky sunroof, plugged vents, engine oil consumption fixed my a new long block - which leaked in the driveway but at least it wasn't consuming it! Window regulators - three of them! Terribly worn and shiny driver seat - never let the dealer put leather conditioner on it to clean it from the technicians greasy pants! Had to replace a wheel that was dinged and constantly vibrated, a new set of tires after only 36k on the ones that came with the car in 2007. A new ABS controller. And the list goes on. But "I love the car".

Now the new[er] 2006 DTS Performance complete with the NAV system that the 2001 didn't have. I also love the HID headlights even though my wife hates them because they bother her when they are oncoming - I told her to not hate THIS car cause when she is in it she doesn't need to see it oncoming! This car seems to be not only newer but tighter and quieter. Also the seats are far more comfortable. The better thing about this car is it is a 'certified' - although they call it a X-Certified which still gives me 100% warranty until December 2011 and free rentals for any service requiring over a 2 hour wait.

I look forward to reading all the interesting topics on the forum. I can't upload a link to my facebook pictures of the car and I can't figure how to upload a picture here so after my 5 compulsary posts I will add a picture here or you can go to my facebook page and see it and the old one there in my Fav's.

jlwilson33952
09-02-10, 12:50 AM
Did I say that I did get into the dealers pocket a bit on the 2006? The replaced the two front hubs and rotors and brakes after going on a test ride with me and hearing/fealing something wierd in the front end, and putting on the chrome side package including the fenders [an $800 package they claimed]. And I got a free year of Onstar directions in the deal too.

orconn
09-02-10, 12:58 AM
Surprised you are still with us after that ordeal! At anyrate, welcome back to the Forums!

jlwilson33952
09-02-10, 01:29 AM
Surprised you are still with us after that ordeal! At anyrate, welcome back to the Forums!

Thanks. I loved the last one and I love this one! the wife? the dog? the house? they can all go just leave me my Caddy! :)

77CDV
09-02-10, 02:00 AM
Welcome back!

Playdrv4me
09-02-10, 01:03 PM
That repair bill was absurd! I would have at least obtained a second opinion before trading the car in knowing how much you paid for it 3 years ago, but depending on how many miles you put on it I guess it was a decent trade value. More importantly, it sounds like you got a great deal on the DTS. It is not that easy to find one with the Nav and all the goodies so that was a bonus too.

Enjoy the new ride.

Destroyer
09-02-10, 10:58 PM
I thought I had joined this forum 3 years ago when I bought my first Cad a 2001 DTS Performance but wasn't able to log on so rejoined with my new[er] 2006 DTS Performance. I took the 2001 to the dealer to have a new sunroof deflector [a $104 part] installed after they had removed the old broken one. $57.50 to remove the part and prepay for the new part which would take a week. When I went back to the dealer I expected to pay about $57.50 for the reinstallation. After waiting for over an hour my car was ready [complete with the customary curtesy wash]. I paid my bill and got in the car and drove out of the service center. That's when I realized NOBODY gets out of a Cadillac dealer service center for under $100.

After 10 feet I knew something was wrong because there was this grinding sound coming from the front end everytime the steering wheel turned left or right. I backed up into the service center and asked them to look at it since it hadn't made that sound coming in. The service writer immediately called the service manager who stated that the car was never even put on the lift. They looked at it and told me the left front strut upper bearing was bad - they could replace it for $450 but had to get the part locally. 2 hours later they called me to the service advisor to tell me the right front strut was bad, an hour later the left front strut should be replaced at the same time the right front strut was replaced because it was 'old and weak'. And since I was doing both struts I should do both bearings. $975 per strut plus labor and bearings and labor I was looking at almost $3000. Ok, I say, I love the car! 2 hours later they called me to tell me they needed a new computer? compatible with the new struts? Something to do with the Stabl-Trak system?

When the bill got to be almost $4700 I said "STOP" and went to talk to my salesman who gave me $4750 on trade [I paid $15k plus a tradein POS back in March 2007 for the 2001 DTS Performance]. And he put me in a new[er] 2006 DTS Performance with 56k miles but looks like the day it was made inside and out. Not a wrinkle in the seats - not a ding or scratch. So what's another $20k if I can get rid of that other money pit!

The list of repairs on the 2001 was long - check engine lights constantly, leaky sunroof, plugged vents, engine oil consumption fixed my a new long block - which leaked in the driveway but at least it wasn't consuming it! Window regulators - three of them! Terribly worn and shiny driver seat - never let the dealer put leather conditioner on it to clean it from the technicians greasy pants! Had to replace a wheel that was dinged and constantly vibrated, a new set of tires after only 36k on the ones that came with the car in 2007. A new ABS controller. And the list goes on. But "I love the car".

Now the new[er] 2006 DTS Performance complete with the NAV system that the 2001 didn't have. I also love the HID headlights even though my wife hates them because they bother her when they are oncoming - I told her to not hate THIS car cause when she is in it she doesn't need to see it oncoming! This car seems to be not only newer but tighter and quieter. Also the seats are far more comfortable. The better thing about this car is it is a 'certified' - although they call it a X-Certified which still gives me 100% warranty until December 2011 and free rentals for any service requiring over a 2 hour wait.

I look forward to reading all the interesting topics on the forum. I can't upload a link to my facebook pictures of the car and I can't figure how to upload a picture here so after my 5 compulsary posts I will add a picture here or you can go to my facebook page and see it and the old one there in my Fav's.Yeah, replacing one POS with another doesn't seem to make much sense either. Seriously, you have a bad experience like that and then turn around and buy another car from the same manufacturer? Dumbass. Hopefully this one is more reliable for you. I didn't make the same mistake twice after I bought my last N* Cadillac. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Destroyer
09-02-10, 11:00 PM
Did I say that I did get into the dealers pocket a bit on the 2006? The replaced the two front hubs and rotors and brakes after going on a test ride with me and hearing/fealing something wierd in the front end, and putting on the chrome side package including the fenders [an $800 package they claimed]. And I got a free year of Onstar directions in the deal too.They see "suckers" coming and appease them. A chrome side package isn't worth it's weight in scrap come resale time. But hey, you think you got a deal and surely will be back no matter how big a POS this one is. :cool2:

Lord Cadillac
09-04-10, 03:06 PM
Let us know what your old username is and we can merge your accounts together...

Welcome back!