: Cost of maintenance and the more reliable car

chicaboom
09-01-10, 11:58 AM
Which car is easier to park and live with as a daily driver?
A CTS-V sedan vs. a base Corvette coupe?
Which one would excel for the above criteria?:bouncy:

cts-vv
09-01-10, 12:06 PM
Which car is easier to park and live with as a daily driver?
A CTS-V sedan vs. a base Corvette coupe?
Which one would excel for the above criteria?:bouncy:

for sure ... pink cts-v loooooool

chicaboom
09-01-10, 12:11 PM
:bigroll:
for sure ... pink cts-v loooooool

:):bigroll:

Domsz06
09-01-10, 12:16 PM
v hands down.

with a corvette, parking stops become an issue, even the low ones, your tires cost more, and you can't haul people around.

Corvette rides rougher.

Stock v is faster then a corvette so you win all the way around.

They are both about the same for oil changes and regular maintenance. Neither one is cheap (I'm sure you know this)

Since you live in cali you might see what the insurance rates are, one might be super higher then the other.

Vette gets better mpg then the v though...

cbloveday
09-01-10, 01:10 PM
I can't believe you would ask this question. Perhaps more unbelievable is the inclusion of that pic.

Certainly the recaros in the V would be more comfortable to sit on.

Domsz06
09-01-10, 01:25 PM
the question is.........

is it for him and he is acting like its her, or is it for her?

lol

paul34
09-01-10, 02:14 PM
What is this I don't even

wfo
09-01-10, 02:32 PM
That's easy...the CTS V Sedan or the Coupe best dollar value and reliability factor. A better level of service "should" come from the Cadillac dealer not the Chevy dealer. I find this to be very true.

These cars are the Boss. Few people still don't know what they are and they way it looks it will be awhile before the market gets flooded with V's... and to boot, they look menacing with those 6/4 piston Brembos peeking out from behind the wheels and buldging hood all exude a true musclecar sleeper. I had both Coupe and Z06 models. Great cars but limited useage. They're really a fantastic third car. Not real easy getting in and out of even for a fit guy. You essentially roll out with hands on lower door jam...door is long and swing out is wide. This gets old if this is your daily driver.

All in all the V will be your best bet for American Muscle now and in the future.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 02:41 PM
That's easy...the CTS V Sedan or the Coupe best dollar value and reliability factor. A better level of service "should" comes from the Cadillac dealer not the Chevy dealer. I find this to be very true.

These cars are the Boss. Few people still don't know what they are and they way it looks it will be awhile before the market gets flooded with V's... and to boot, they look menacing with those 6/4 piston Brembos peeking out from behind the wheels and buldging hood all exude a true musclecar sleeper. I had both Coupe and Z06 models. Great cars but limited useage. They're really a fantastic third car. Not real easy getting in and out of even for a fit guy. You essentially roll out with hands on lower door jam...door is long and swing out is wide. This gets old if this is your daily driver.

All in all the V will be your best bet for American Muscle now and in the future.

Thanks for your great input.:bouncy:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 02:44 PM
v hands down.

with a corvette parking stops become an issue, even the low ones, your tires cost more, and you can't haul people around.

Corvette rides rougher.

They are both about the same for oil changes and regular maintenance. Neither one is cheap (I'm sure you know this)

Since you live in cali you might see what the insurance rates are, one might be super higher then the other.

Thanks for the info:yup:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 02:45 PM
v hands down.

with a corvette parking stops become an issue, even the low ones, your tires cost more, and you can't haul people around.

Corvette rides rougher.

What do you mean by Corvette stop?

chicaboom
09-01-10, 02:48 PM
I can't believe you would ask this question. Perhaps more unbelievable is the inclusion of that pic.

Certainly the recaros in the V would be more comfortable to sit on.

Sorry about the pic I was going to use my pic as a custom avatar but I guess it didn't work.

V&Vette
09-01-10, 02:55 PM
Well the Corvette is more of an impractical car than the V. The versatility that the V demonstrates on a daily basis is unbelievable.

The V is quicker than the base and GS (former Z51). The handling is on par with the Vette and as far as looks good, toss up. I have both so I enjoy both immensely. Though my Vette has not been stock since the first month I had it (nor the V).

The four doors really comes in handy and the luxury ammenities that the V contains over the Vette is staggering. The V is more comfortable and smooth in my opinion. I've said it once, i'll say it again....the V can be a luxurious smooth beauty. Or the V can be a complete animal capable of intense speeds and a dangerous roid raging attitude. :cool2:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 03:11 PM
Well the Corvette is more of an impractical car than the V. The versatility that the V demonstrates on a daily basis is unbelievable.

The V is quicker than the base and GS (former Z51). The handling is on par with the Vette and as far as looks good, toss up. I have both so I enjoy both immensely. Though my Vette has not been stock since the first month I had it (nor the V).

The four doors really comes in handy and the luxury ammenities that the V contains over the Vette is staggering. The V is more comfortable and smooth in my opinion. I've said it once, i'll say it again....the V can be a luxurious smooth beauty. Or the V can be a complete animal capable of intense speeds and a dangerous roid raging attitude. :cool2:

I don't care about the backseats but it does have more room than Corvette and is probably easier to park because I know on Corvette you can't see front or rear bumper until you tap car behind or in front of you. You have to worry about another car riding up on Corvette when you park and leave it there.
CTS-V is probably is more quiet than Corvette so then you can enjoy the stereo better and won't have the noise levels the Corvette has inside.
Better car on longs trips too I have heard.
I guess the Corvette will cost more on everything since it is a speciality car/sports car. Harder to work on since there isn't that much space to begin with.

cbloveday
09-01-10, 03:33 PM
Sorry about the pic I was going to use my pic as a custom avatar but I guess it didn't work.

No apology needed. I was just giving you the old cadillac forum welcome. :welcome: You'll find alot of good people here that stand ready to help you, just ask.

Domsz06
09-01-10, 03:56 PM
What do you mean by Corvette stop?

corvette stop?

I may have not been clear but I meant to say that corvettes can run into parking stops in lots and streets, ie you drag the bottom and it messes things up. The v can do if it's really high, but the corvette does it more often.

Domsz06
09-01-10, 04:01 PM
I don't care about the backseats but it does have more room than Corvette and is probably easier to park because I know on Corvette you can't see front or rear bumper until you tap car behind or in front of you. You have to worry about another car riding up on Corvette when you park and leave it there.
CTS-V is probably is more quiet than Corvette so then you can enjoy the stereo better and won't have the noise levels the Corvette has inside.
Better car on longs trips too I have heard.
I guess the Corvette will cost more on everything since it is a speciality car/sports car. Harder to work on since there isn't that much space to begin with.

People will park beside a cts-v just as often as a corvette. Yes it is nice that the v has reverse distance detectors, comes in handy.

I don't think the stereo is great in either one, so if your wanting to hear it it's the same in both cars. If you upgrade it then well all bets are off. The V is very quite, but it's not like the corvette is that loud. Now go to a z06 and for sure the v is quieter, but the z has so much road noise due to the huge phat arse tires it has.

Don't kid yourself, the v is not a sports car, but you maintain it like one. Brakes are expensive, rims if you upgrade expensive. If maintenance is an issue then honestly neither of these cars are for you. You can't really work on either one, you can do the basics, both have about the same amount of room in the engine bay, and the v is higher off the ground so you don't need a low rise floor jack. (do you work on cars, because if you do why didn't I find you when I was in cali? lol )

One thing that I LOVE about the v, and wish my z06 had is cooled seats. Those seats are the best ever! I know san fran doesn't get as hot as Bakersfield or Houston does, but man they are nice. If you don't live near the water in San fran you will really love the cooled seats on those hot/warm days.

mugatu22
09-01-10, 04:22 PM
In general a standard '10 Corvette will have lower cost of maintenance & be more reliable.

Most will say I'm "hating" but I'm not, these are just observations...

You asked 2 questions--one in the thread title, and another in your original post.

The V is easier to park, and will be more comfortable as a daily driver.

2nd question's answer: They produce & sell around 4x more Corvettes each month (1000+ Corvettes per month). This translates into more consistent build quality b/c they've been building them for a long time and build many of them. Just read around on this forum to find all of the V's nagging fix-its and problems.

The N/A V8 gets substantially better MPG than the V's FI V8. Fuel is expensive. Lower fuel costs.

The standard C6 V8 uses ~1q less oil per oil change. Less oil.

The N/A V8 doesn't have a supercharger. All things equal, a N/A engine will be more reliable over time than a supercharged engine. I can see some guys demanding an answer to this assertion. If you understand engines, it doesn't need one.

The Corvette is SUBSTANTIALLY lighter, and thus is easier (more lifespan) on its brakes, tires, and components if both vehicles are driven similarly. The V's torque & ZR1-type power will have you going through rear tires rather quickly, plus the V weighs almost 1000lb heavier. You do the math.

To answer your question directly w/out injecting personal bias (which few people here did), the Corvette will have lower cost of maintenance and be the more reliable car. Which car is "more fun, faster, cooler, has 4 doors, etc" isn't what you asked.

Let the flaming begin :helpless:

wfo
09-01-10, 04:28 PM
Go for the V!!

wfo
09-01-10, 04:29 PM
IMHO...if you really want to make your V smok'n hot...get it lowered, select a sweet set of quality forged 20" or 21" wheels and just for bragging rights, as if you won't already have it in stcok trim you can do some basic engine mods. Then hold on...watch folks look your ride over real close. They can't figure it out except for the Cadillac medallion.

The V's a down and dirty beast. And lets' face it, just about everyone's got a Vette, had a Vette or wants a Vette. All the Car's and Coffee meets, car shows, etc are stacked with Camaros and Vettes. Who's got a 556hp Cadillac V.

Now go get yourself one.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 04:33 PM
:D:shhh::shhh: I'm new to this forum kind of stuff.:bonkers::hide:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 04:34 PM
IMHO...if you really want to make your V smok'n hot...get it lowered, select a sweet set of quality forged 20" or 21" wheels and just for bragging rights, as if you won't already have it in stcok trim you can do some basic engine mods. Then hold on...watch folks look your ride over real close. They can't figure it out except for the Cadillac medallion.

The V's a down and dirty beast. And lets' face it, just about everyone's got a Vette, had a Vette or wants a Vette. All the Car's and Coffee meets, car shows, etc are stacked with Camaros and Vettes. Who's got a 556hp Cadillac V.

Now go get yourself one.

I don't work on cars and will keep it factory stock so it will be the most reliable.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 04:38 PM
In general a standard '10 Corvette will have lower cost of maintenance & be more reliable.

You asked 2 questions--one in the thread title, and another in your original post.

2nd question's answer: They produce & sell around 4x more Corvettes each month (1000+ Corvettes per month). This translates into more consistent build quality b/c they've been building them for a long time and build many of them. Just read around on this forum to find all of the V's nagging fix-its and problems.

The N/A V8 gets substantially better MPG than the V's FI V8. Fuel is expensive. Lower fuel costs.

The N/A V8 doesn't have a supercharger. All things equal, a N/A engine will be more reliable over time than a supercharged engine. I can see some guys demanding an answer to this assertion. If you understand engines, it doesn't need one.

The Corvette is SUBSTANTIALLY lighter, and thus is easier (more lifespan) on its brakes, tires, and components if both vehicles are driven similarly. The V's torque & ZR1-type power will have you going through rear tires rather quickly, plus the V weighs almost 1000lb heavier. You do the math.

To answer your question directly w/out injecting personal bias (which few people here did), the Corvette will have lower cost of maintenance and be the more reliable car. Which car is "more fun, faster, cooler, has 4 doors, etc" isn't what you asked.

Really maybe so since it is heavier and will tend to need to use more inertia to stop and go. I know the gas mileage is terrible compared to a base Corvette Coupe. The supercharger requires a little more maintenance or a coolant but that is where all the fun is at and makes it the car it is.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 04:44 PM
corvette stop?

I may have not been clear but I meant to say that corvettes can run into parking stops in lots and streets, ie you drag the bottom and it messes things up. The v can do if it's really high, but the corvette does it more often.

This is a true disadvantage of having a daily driver in that it is difficult not to hit curbs when parking or scratch bottom of Corvette when going up and down the hills in San Francisco. Might even be a chance of getting oil pan or other under chassis items under body damaged. I have heard alot about this Corvettes scratching bottom and being more suceptible to damage just because it is lower than the average car so windshield will really get pitted. Another thing also I have been told is curb rash is rampant in these cars as you can't see side of Corvette just like you can't see the front or back for parking. You have to be more careful of freeway debris in a low profile car as the Corvette.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 04:49 PM
People will park beside a cts-v just as often as a corvette. Yes it is nice that the v has reverse distance detectors, comes in handy.

I don't think the stereo is great in either one, so if your wanting to hear it it's the same in both cars. If you upgrade it then well all bets are off. The V is very quite, but it's not like the corvette is that loud. Now go to a z06 and for sure the v is quieter, but the z has so much road noise due to the huge phat arse tires it has.

Don't kid yourself, the v is not a sports car, but you maintain it like one. Brakes are expensive, rims if you upgrade expensive. If maintenance is an issue then honestly neither of these cars are for you. You can't really work on either one, you can do the basics, both have about the same amount of room in the engine bay, and the v is higher off the ground so you don't need a low rise floor jack. (do you work on cars, because if you do why didn't I find you when I was in cali? lol )

One thing that I LOVE about the v, and wish my z06 had is cooled seats. Those seats are the best ever! I know san fran doesn't get as hot as Bakersfield or Houston does, but man they are nice. If you don't live near the water in San fran you will really love the cooled seats on those hot/warm days.

Sports car = no room sedan means more room 556 horses means real fast sedan.
I do travel to areas where it gets hot so the cold cooling seat feature would be a must. I would think you won't get the attention one gets in a Corvette alot especially from police vs. a CTS-V. It looks like a regular car but it's much faster than almost anything out there. I would want a comfortable ride around here anyway one that will isolate torn up not maintained roads here. Some cars are downright brutal and provide no isolation or comfort from the real world of terrible condition these roads are in.

TMC CL65
09-01-10, 04:50 PM
Chicaboom:

Just out of curiosity, how did you narrow your selection down to the Corvette and the CTS-V sedan? What other criteria are you looking at? To be honest, it seems odd to have narrowed it down to these two vehicles.

But if you must have an answer. I imagine the CTS-V is going to be the better daily driver as far as comfort is concerned. The Corvette's ride can be harsh especially if you go for the Z51 option. If you keep both cars stock, as you say you will, the CTS-V should be every bit as reliable as the Corvette. The CTS-V's engine is not stressed at all. You can make a case that the lower compression and redline in the CTS-V makes it a more durable engine over the Corvette's engine. I would think that maintenance and gas costs would favor the Corvette. Although if that is major consideration, I think there are other cars you should be looking at instead of the Corvette and CTS-V.

Tom

Jeffrey
09-01-10, 05:00 PM
with a corvette,....... , your tires cost more..

Hi,

The tires (Goodyear?) on a Vette cost more than the PS2s on the V?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

TMC CL65
09-01-10, 05:05 PM
Hi,

Best regards,
Jeffrey

On TireRack, the Michelins cost $30 more ($1,544 vs $1,514).

Tom

Domsz06
09-01-10, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Best regards,
Jeffrey

I think you burn through the corvette tires faster then the v tires. Lighter rear end so easier to burn them. I don't have a corvette, I have a z06, so i'm voicing my opinions on some. Personally of the two there is no question, a 4 door is a daily driver, and also everyone has a corvette. Not everyone has a cts-v :)

You cant go wrong with either, however I know I drive my v a ton more then the z, they both put a smile on my face everytime I drive em ;)

Domsz06
09-01-10, 05:07 PM

Does the corvette really get that great of tire life? I have a z and I'm lucky to get 10k out of my rear tires, I realize the z is much faster but really?

Lots of v guys get 20k on their rears...

Domsz06
09-01-10, 05:09 PM
Sports car = no room sedan means more room 556 horses means real fast sedan.
I do travel to areas where it gets hot so the cold cooling seat feature would be a must. I would think you won't get the attention one gets in a Corvette alot especially from police vs. a CTS-V. It looks like a regular car but it's much faster than almost anything out there. I would want a comfortable ride around here anyway one that will isolate torn up not maintained roads here. Some cars are downright brutal and provide no isolation or comfort from the real world of terrible condition these roads are in.

You can't get cooled seats in a corvette. Also if your in and out all the time the higher v will make it more comfy IMO.

Honestly your pro right about the v being less obvious to CHP etc... but any cop that is a car nut will know what it is. I get a lot of stares from people in mine ;) esp five-o

With bad roads in your area you will get beat to death in a vette.

I enjoyed driving my z06 on the smooth PCH or North 20 out of malibu but other roads like the 5 SUCKED!

Jeffrey
09-01-10, 05:10 PM

Hi,

IMO, the stereo in my '09 V is signficantly better than the one (which is pathetic) in my '09 base coupe Vette. I also think my V's cabin is much better insulated than my Vette's. Adding to the list, I think my V has the better NAV, steering wheel, seats (Recaro), paddle shifter, brakes, tires, and engine.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
09-01-10, 05:16 PM

Hi,

Is this true? I thought GM says to put 6 quarts in the base Vette and V?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
09-01-10, 05:23 PM
I would think you won't get the attention one gets in a Corvette alot especially from police vs. a CTS-V. It looks like a regular car but it's much faster than almost anything out there.

Hi,

First, let me disclose that my base Vette coupe is victory red and my V is silver. With that said, I get away with a LOT more in my V than my Vette. IMO, a Cadillac driver and a Corvette driver strike a completely different image in the mind of the man. From my experiences, many cops do not know a V from a regular CTS. I only hope it stays that way!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

snzuloz
09-01-10, 05:38 PM
First off Chickaboom:welcome: to the forum.

Is this really you in the picture? I'll be the first to ask because your posts so far don't reflect it.

Two completely different cars, every Tom Dick and Harry have vettes (oops thats Mustangs maybe) Just joking everyone that has a vette.

Sounds like a V would be the wise choice for you, if winter weather would be an issue the V would definately be the winner here.

Both vehicles seem to have good reliability (no major issues) just minor woes as all makers suffer from.

Best call is to drive both, see what you think of them after attempting some routine driving manuevers, make your decision, be happy with what you get. Maintenance isn't going to kill you if you can afford buying one of these.

BeagleBrains
09-01-10, 05:49 PM
Chicaboom: Just out of curiosity, how did you narrow your selection down to the Corvette and the CTS-V sedan? What other criteria are you looking at? To be honest, it seems odd to have narrowed it down to these two vehicles. Tom
The most basic criteria is that both cars are based upon Corvette running gear! Owning both a CTS V Coupe and a Corvette Convertible, door design is essentially identical; wide swinging two-door vehicles. My wife and I, each being two years older than water, find access and egress for the V to be like a living room chair. The Vette, although much lower requires somewhat more leg strength but easily accessed; turn and plant yourself. I find that GM blew off the most obviously logical derivation for the CTS V, having mysteriously deleted the Z51 based engine, transmission and differential oil coolers. WHY???

V&Vette
09-01-10, 06:19 PM
Does the corvette really get that great of tire life? I have a z and I'm lucky to get 10k out of my rear tires, I realize the z is much faster but really?

Lots of v guys get 20k on their rears...

10k or 20k....must be nice!! :thumbsup: I'm happy to be at half that. Hence the reason to get the tire/rim plan from Caddy/GM.

V&Vette
09-01-10, 06:21 PM
Hi,

IMO, the stereo in my '09 V is signficantly better than the one (which is pathetic) in my '09 base coupe Vette. I also think my V's cabin is much better insulated than my Vette's. Adding to the list, I think my V has the better NAV, steering wheel, seats (Recaro), paddle shifter, brakes, tires, and engine.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

+1 Jeff on all your points here.

cbloveday
09-01-10, 08:18 PM
I think this is a no brainer. Apples to oranges. The V is a much better DD in every aspect than the base corvette. IMHO.

4gear70
09-01-10, 08:41 PM

The LS3 in the C6 requires ~ 6 quarts per oil change with filter (5.5 if not counting filter) with or without the added capacity of the Z51 cooler (the cooler doesn't drain on changes).
The LS7 takes 8 quarts!

Anyway, I'm sure you realize that having less oil in a system is not a better thing from a lubrication and cooling perspective.

e6t
09-01-10, 09:43 PM
this is one of the most odd threads i have ever read.

a two door plastic car or an overpowered 4 door sedan. seriously?

Domsz06
09-01-10, 09:45 PM
The LS3 in the C6 requires ~ 6 quarts per oil change with filter (5.5 if not counting filter) with or without the added capacity of the Z51 cooler (the cooler doesn't drain on changes).
The LS7 takes 8 quarts!

Anyway, I'm sure you realize that having less oil in a system is not a better thing from a lubrication and cooling perspective.

the 09's ls7's now take 11 quarts!!! ;)

Domsz06
09-01-10, 09:50 PM
The ls7 now takes 11 quarts!! :(

Domsz06
09-01-10, 10:34 PM
The ls7 takes 11 quarts now :(

chicaboom
09-01-10, 10:46 PM
:hmm::annoyed::wtf::Playdrv4me::aj:
First off Chickaboom:welcome: to the forum.

Is this really you in the picture? I'll be the first to ask because your posts so far don't reflect it.

Two completely different cars, every Tom Dick and Harry have vettes (oops thats Mustangs maybe) Just joking everyone that has a vette.

Sounds like a V would be the wise choice for you, if winter weather would be an issue the V would definately be the winner here.

Both vehicles seem to have good reliability (no major issues) just minor woes as all makers suffer from.

Best call is to drive both, see what you think of them after attempting some routine driving manuevers, make your decision, be happy with what you get. Maintenance isn't going to kill you if you can afford buying one of these.

I like Mustangs too but I want something comfortable and easy to drive.

As I had previously said I didn't mean to put my pic in there. I wanted to use my pic as an avatar.
What do you mean my picture doesn't reflect my posts? Please explain this:hmm::annoyed::wtf::Playdrv4me::aj:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 10:50 PM
Hi,

First, let me disclose that my base Vette coupe is victory red and my V is silver. With that said, I get away with a LOT more in my V than my Vette. IMO, a Cadillac driver and a Corvette driver strike a completely different image in the mind of the man. From my experiences, many cops do not know a V from a regular CTS. I only hope it stays that way!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

:yup:I agree with you on this. The CTS-V sedan is a much more stealthy car than Corvette. Less likely to get into trouble or attention of police. I think I would worry more about having a Corvette and parking it on the street whereas the CTS-V fits right in. You can get away with more in the CAD too.:yup:

chicaboom
09-01-10, 10:51 PM
The ls7 now takes 11 quarts!! :(

That is just too much oil.

chicaboom
09-01-10, 10:53 PM
:cookoo::want:
this is one of the most odd threads i have ever read.

a two door plastic car or an overpowered 4 door sedan. seriously?:suspense::cookoo::bigroll:

mugatu22
09-01-10, 11:01 PM
10k or 20k....must be nice!! :thumbsup: I'm happy to be at half that. Hence the reason to get the tire/rim plan from Caddy/GM.

Indeed. My last E55 got 10k max on rear tires. The CTS-V has that type of torque plus more HP...I can't imagine anyone getting 20k out of a set of rears unless they granny drive 95% of the time.

Magu
no hating here, that was a good post. keep it up

Cheers

Domsz06
09-01-10, 11:01 PM
That is just too much oil.

I thought 8 was a lot when I first changed mine, and now it's 11, freaking crazy! all because at very high g-forces ie over 1 for over 30 seconds the dry sump would actually run out and not be able to produce oil. Only place that can happen is a track..... So what did GM really make this car for?? he he he

but that is nothing compared to my 7.3 diesel, 15 flipping quarts!!!

:cookoo::want::suspense::cookoo::bigroll:

because most people do not compare a 2 door and a 4 door. it's like comparing apples and oranges, blondes and brunettes, Hispanic and Puerto Rican, etc etc, catch my drift?

Domsz06
09-01-10, 11:05 PM
Indeed. My last E55 got 10k max on rear tires. The CTS-V has that type of torque plus more HP...I can't imagine anyone getting 20k out of a set of rears unless they granny drive 95% of the time.

Cheers

I have almost 11 on my z06 right now, and it's not stock... but they also need replacing he he he damn upgrades :)

chicaboom
09-01-10, 11:15 PM

Cheers

Some drivers just like to style and profile.:cool2:

Domsz06
09-01-10, 11:16 PM

lol not in that car you won't!!! ;)

chicaboom
09-01-10, 11:16 PM
I thought 8 was a lot when I first changed mine, and now it's 11, freaking crazy! all because at very high g-forces ie over 1 for over 30 seconds the dry sump would actually run out and not be able to produce oil. Only place that can happen is a track..... So what did GM really make this car for?? he he he

but that is nothing compared to my 7.3 diesel, 15 flipping quarts!!!

because most people do not compare a 2 door and a 4 door. it's like comparing apples and oranges, blondes and brunettes, Hispanic and Puerto Rican, etc etc, catch my drift?

Men like all of them blondes, brunettes, redheads and highlights especially.

mugatu22
09-01-10, 11:22 PM
Men don't care about hair color, it's about the T&A. Gotta be tight & fit, not frumpy and chunky.

How's that for generalization.

4gear70
09-01-10, 11:29 PM
the 09's ls7's now take 11 quarts!!! ;)

Oh yeah, that's right, they revised the oil reservoir for the dry sump on the LS7 like the LS9 and raised the capacity to 10.5 quarts. That's awesome!! :)

Domsz06
09-01-10, 11:36 PM
Men don't care about hair color, it's about the T&A. Gotta be tight & fit, not frumpy and chunky.

How's that for generalization.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha It's not all about the person... or the body type... but I love the generalization.

Tony407
09-02-10, 02:31 AM
What do you mean my picture doesn't reflect my posts? Please explain this:

Yeah...I'd like to know that too.

Anyway, it looks like the general consensus here is the V. I completely agree.

Tony

dvandentop
09-02-10, 02:45 AM
get the v i find myself driving it more then i do my z06

Domsz06
09-02-10, 07:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^

what he said.

Domsz06
09-02-10, 08:06 AM
and since this hasn't been said yet, or if it has I have not seen it I'll say it.

You will look stellar in any car, and when you get out of either your gonna get a ton of looks!!! ;)

Jeffrey
09-02-10, 10:05 AM
and since this hasn't been said yet, or if it has I have not seen it I'll say it.

You will look stellar in any car, and when you get out of either your gonna get a ton of looks!!! ;)

Hi,

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Sure is nice to hear my new exercise program is working.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

snzuloz
09-02-10, 10:13 AM
:hmm::annoyed::wtf::Playdrv4me::aj:

I like Mustangs too but I want something comfortable and easy to drive.

As I had previously said I didn't mean to put my pic in there. I wanted to use my pic as an avatar.
What do you mean my picture doesn't reflect my posts? Please explain this:hmm::annoyed::wtf::Playdrv4me::aj:

Your first posts were like someone was texting the info in (shorthand and grammar use-thats all), I think your going to look HOT in any car, but I truly think the V would be the better choice for your needs.

Ziggerman
09-02-10, 10:40 AM
I wonder if this thread would have garnered this many replies if the OP had NOT "accidentally" posted the picture? C6 versus CTS-V? Really? C'mon guys! The OP is probably a bald, stocky guy with a good sense for male psychology :)

Domsz06
09-02-10, 02:51 PM
^^^^^ ha ha ha!

I think I said that way back on the first page.

gnxs
09-02-10, 03:47 PM
Relative to the MSRP's of these cars, the cost of maintenance is negligible. Left stock and properly maintained, they should both prove to be ultra reliable from a mechanical standpoint. I'd guess the "V" would be much easier to live with on a daily basis (it's certainly a more comfortable car), but for me I'd be able to live with either of them.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, it seems like a strange pair to be comparing. Are the things you asked about (maint. cost, reliability, daily driveability) your most important criteria or just the ones you haven't really gotten a feel for between the two?

chicaboom
09-03-10, 12:54 AM
Your first posts were like someone was texting the info in (shorthand and grammar use-thats all), I think your going to look HOT in any car, but I truly think the V would be the better choice for your needs.

:bouncy::rose:Thanks!

chicaboom
09-03-10, 12:55 AM
Relative to the MSRP's of these cars, the cost of maintenance is negligible. Left stock and properly maintained, they should both prove to be ultra reliable from a mechanical standpoint. I'd guess the "V" would be much easier to live with on a daily basis (it's certainly a more comfortable car), but for me I'd be able to live with either of them.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, it seems like a strange pair to be comparing. Are the things you asked about (maint. cost, reliability, daily driveability) your most important criteria or just the ones you haven't really gotten a feel for between the two?

Those are the criteria that are most important and don't forget comfort.

chicaboom
09-03-10, 01:00 AM
QUOTE=Ziggerman;2351495]I wonder if this thread would have garnered this many replies if the OP had NOT "accidentally" posted the picture? C6 versus CTS-V? Really? C'mon guys! The OP is probably a bald, stocky guy with a good sense for male psychology :)[/QUOTE]

:histeric::bonkers::helpless::arghh::raspberry::ac k::dummy:JulieBoombotz:lame::jerkit::rtfinger:

chicaboom
09-03-10, 01:06 AM
:cheer::bows::sunnynana:

:cheer::bows::sunnynana:

mugatu22
09-03-10, 02:09 AM
i wonder if this thread would have garnered this many replies if the op had not "accidentally" posted the picture? C6 versus cts-v? Really? C'mon guys! The op is probably a bald, stocky guy with a good sense for male psychology :)

lmao +1

gnxs
09-03-10, 10:24 AM
Those are the criteria that are most important and don't forget comfort.
Then I'd say there are ALOT of other better, less expensive choices out there that meet your criteria better. Based on your statement, even the standard CTS would be a much better choice.

chicaboom
09-03-10, 02:42 PM
Then I'd say there are ALOT of other better, less expensive choices out there that meet your criteria better. Based on your statement, even the standard CTS would be a much better choice.

You think so? Is the lower cost CTS V-6 Sedan going to be as comfortable as CTS-V Sedan? I know the CTS-V has a magnetic ride suspension and of course alot more power. In the long run will the CTS-V cost more in maintenance since it has a supercharger or have more problems.?

chicaboom
09-03-10, 02:45 PM
QUOTE=mugatu22;2352360]lmao +1[/QUOTE]

:~blah::raspberry::dflip:

racebyu
09-03-10, 08:23 PM
I have a 05 V and a 99 vette and the vette has much less issues then the V so far.
As for ride quality the vette is much better in my Z51, not as harsh as my 05 V.
Thats what I have found over the last few years driving both cars, but either are a
blast to drive!

chicaboom
09-04-10, 12:00 AM
I have a 05 V and a 99 vette and the vette has much less issues then the V so far.
As for ride quality the vette is much better in my Z51, not as harsh as my 05 V.
Thats what I have found over the last few years driving both cars, but either are a
blast to drive!

The 2005 CTS-V was the first year that car came out and it was only available with stick shift. I can't drive a stick shift so that takes care of that and the new CTS-V sedan is different and are supposed to be improved and come in both auto and manual transmissions with Magnetic Ride Suspension. Did they have MRS in 2005? I have heard there are lots of rear end differential problems on the older CTS-V models.

commander112
09-04-10, 12:39 AM
Alright, are you sure you're not a dude? You know this stuff and can cut through some guy posting stuff about cars that are not even related to your question. If it has not been asked before in this thread, if you are for real, do you want to get married?

chicaboom
09-04-10, 12:54 AM
QUOTE=commander112;2353225]Alright, are you sure you're not a dude? You know this stuff and can cut through some guy posting stuff about cars that are not even related to your question. If it has not been asked before in this thread, if you are for real, do you want to get married?[/QUOTE]

Listen my brother owns a Corvette so I know alot more of this stuff than you think you:jerkit::dflip::rollingpin::gun2::gun::cookoo:

snzuloz
09-05-10, 12:16 AM
We need more pics to prove (jk) well more would be good.

BeagleBrains
09-06-10, 09:14 PM
"The 2005 CTS-V was the first year that car came out.":hmm: I just sold my 2004 CTS V. The fact that GM Chose to install the high performance drivetrain on an unmodified CTS V6 Chasis verifies the very high frequency of blown rear differentials in the first iteration of the CTS V.

chicaboom
09-07-10, 11:54 AM
blast to drive!

Your CTS-V 05 comes in manual only.

chicaboom
09-07-10, 11:56 AM
"The 2005 CTS-V was the first year that car came out.":hmm: I just sold my 2004 CTS V. The fact that GM Chose to install the high performance drivetrain on an unmodified CTS V6 Chasis verifies the very high frequency of blown rear differentials in the first iteration of the CTS V.

I have heard the older model CTS-V's had alot of rear end issues but those are used cars now and there is a new model out.

Domsz06
09-07-10, 03:04 PM
I have heard the older model CTS-V's had alot of rear end issues but those are used cars now and there is a new model out.

yes the older one's had a whine in the rear end and could "blow up" with lots of hard driving and high hp. not an issue on the new one's, and lots of people have a lot of miles on the older v1's with zero issues.

chicaboom
09-07-10, 03:09 PM
yes the older one's had a whine in the rear end and could "blow up" with lots of hard driving and high hp. not an issue on the new one's, and lots of people have a lot of miles on the older v1's with zero issues.

I guess if one were on the market for a used CTS-V and didn't care about getting the new Gen and wanted a better price these older ones would cost alot less due to depreciation.

Domsz06
09-07-10, 04:34 PM
I guess if one were on the market for a used CTS-V and didn't care about getting the new Gen and wanted a better price these older ones would cost alot less due to depreciation.

um try 20k less.

but I thought you said you can't drive a stick? the v1's only come in sticks.

chicaboom
09-07-10, 05:19 PM
um try 20k less.

but I thought you said you can't drive a stick? the v1's only come in sticks.

Yes I know the older ones only came in stick. Yes I can't drive a stick. But isn't that something else that depreciation is more than a 50% drop of when it was new.:ill:

Domsz06
09-08-10, 08:10 AM
Yes I know the older ones only came in stick. Yes I can't drive a stick. But isn't that something else that depreciation is more than a 50% drop of when it was new.:ill:

happens to all cars, that's why I quit buying new and buy used.

I also believe the v1's were only 40's new, so for a 6 year old car still selling for 22k, I think that's pretty good....maybe that's just me.

I mean you can get 09's which are 2 years old now for mid 40's and they started at 62...

You know when you drive a new car off the lot you loose 10-15% right?

BeagleBrains
09-08-10, 11:48 AM
Cost of maintenance on the V1 was inordinately high, except for the fact that GM covered the shattered rear end under warranty in most cases. The frequency of a differential failure was significantly higher than any other repair history on other automobiles.
Good news/bad news. I sold my 2004 V with 34,160 miles for $22,000.00. :)
My 2007 Corvette convertible listed for $72,000; resale is $55,000.00 now. A large change but better than most used valuations.
I'm thinking that since the 2009 CTS V only sold ~3000, implies that the CTS V Coupe being very limited numbers, because it is a Coupe, will really boost the resale values in a couple of years. Coupe owners will likely lose less than the typical resale price drop. This is the making of a true rare classic.:highfive:

Jeffrey
09-08-10, 11:55 AM
My 2007 Corvette convertible listed for $72,000; resale is $55,000.00 now.

Hi,

Where did you get those numbers?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

chicaboom
09-08-10, 01:06 PM
happens to all cars, that's why I quit buying new and buy used.

I also believe the v1's were only 40's new, so for a 6 year old car still selling for 22k, I think that's pretty good....maybe that's just me.

I mean you can get 09's which are 2 years old now for mid 40's and they started at 62...

You know when you drive a new car off the lot you loose 10-15% right?

Yes I know new cars depreciate but I guess that is the price you pay to have it all brand new to yourself. Knowing that nobody before yourself abused it or worrying about the history of the car. I just love that new car smell. What's even better is ordering the car the way you want it. You won't be limited to just what is on the showroom floor.
You buy used you have to worry about how the past owner treated it. Do you really know? Did they break the car in perfectly or go full throttle all the time? You can save alot of money but that money saved could end up being more $$$ spent on repairs plus of course the older the car gets the less it will cost but will be prone to more problems of things breaking.
I have never had good luck with used cars.

chicaboom
09-08-10, 01:09 PM
Cost of maintenance on the V1 was inordinately high, except for the fact that GM covered the shattered rear end under warranty in most cases. The frequency of a differential failure was significantly higher than any other repair history on other automobiles.
Good news/bad news. I sold my 2004 V with 34,160 miles for $22,000.00. :)
My 2007 Corvette convertible listed for $72,000; resale is $55,000.00 now. A large change but better than most used valuations.
I'm thinking that since the 2009 CTS V only sold ~3000, implies that the CTS V Coupe being very limited numbers, because it is a Coupe, will really boost the resale values in a couple of years. Coupe owners will likely lose less than the typical resale price drop. This is the making of a true rare classic.:highfive:

If cost of the CTS-V ends up being too high perhaps I would go for the V-6 model instead. Don't supercharged cars cost more to maintain and the engine wil not last as long to a model that isn't supercharged?:confused:

Domsz06
09-08-10, 03:35 PM
Yes I know new cars depreciate but I guess that is the price you pay to have it all brand new to yourself. Knowing that nobody before yourself abused it or worrying about the history of the car. I just love that new car smell. What's even better is ordering the car the way you want it. You won't be limited to just what is on the showroom floor.
You buy used you have to worry about how the past owner treated it. Do you really know? Did they break the car in perfectly or go full throttle all the time? You can save alot of money but that money saved could end up being more $$$ spent on repairs plus of course the older the car gets the less it will cost but will be prone to more problems of things breaking.
I have never had good luck with used cars.

the v doesn't really have many options.

navigation, recaro seats, the type of wheels, color, and the carbon fibor package, sunroof, it comes pretty loaded.

As far as "breaking the engine in" don't go there. you will open a can of worms. (the engine is already broken in from gm)

The car has a warranty, if you don't mod it and it breaks it gets fixed, so in my eyes it's worth letting someone else take the depreciation hit.

I would think if you look around you can find a v2 that was hardly driven and for a deep discount. There seem to be quite a few out there that people bought and didn't realize what they bought. They bought it for the name, didn't realize it also came with the 556hp to boot.

Domsz06
09-08-10, 03:38 PM
If cost of the CTS-V ends up being too high perhaps I would go for the V-6 model instead. Don't supercharged cars cost more to maintain and the engine wil not last as long to a model that isn't supercharged?:confused:

cost more to maintain... not really.

and depends on how you drive.

Like others and myself have said, you really shouldn't buy this car if you are concerned with maintenance. You buy this car for the looks, the hp, the handling, and the pure bad arse it is...

if maintenance and mpg are an issue, buy a accord. like the old saying goes. You have to pay to play ;)

chicaboom
09-08-10, 10:24 PM
I don't want to buy someone elses problems.

the v doesn't really have many options.

navigation, recaro seats, the type of wheels, color, and the carbon fibor package, sunroof, it comes pretty loaded.

As far as "breaking the engine in" don't go there. you will open a can of worms. (the engine is already broken in from gm)

The car has a warranty, if you don't mod it and it breaks it gets fixed, so in my eyes it's worth letting someone else take the depreciation hit.

I would think if you look around you can find a v2 that was hardly driven and for a deep discount. There seem to be quite a few out there that people bought and didn't realize what they bought. They bought it for the name, didn't realize it also came with the 556hp to boot.

chicaboom
09-08-10, 10:25 PM
:tisk:No way an accord:thehand:
I'm just concerned that I don't want a car that will always be breaking down or having problems like I have heard.:)

cost more to maintain... not really.

and depends on how you drive.

Like others and myself have said, you really shouldn't buy this car if you are concerned with maintenance. You buy this car for the looks, the hp, the handling, and the pure bad arse it is...

if maintenance and mpg are an issue, buy a accord. like the old saying goes. You have to pay to play ;)

digital1021
09-09-10, 01:45 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention that the 2011 Cadillac line includes FREE maintenance for 4yr/50,000mi.... This includes the CTS-V and V Coupe....

~ Matt

Domsz06
09-09-10, 09:50 AM
I'm just concerned that I don't want a car that will always be breaking down or having problems like I have heard.:)

um... I haven't heard of any real issues on these v2's.

esp "break down" issues.

a minor here or there but every car has that.

Domsz06
09-09-10, 09:51 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention that the 2011 Cadillac line includes FREE maintenance for 4yr/50,000mi.... This includes the CTS-V and V Coupe....

~ Matt

"free" if you mean you pay 2k more for a 2011 then a 2010...

Domsz06
09-09-10, 09:53 AM

The reason I say this is you are really putting a TON of effort to justify this car, and you have made many comments about how you want a reliable nice, "pimp" car but don't want high maintenance.

Maybe this is not what your meaning, but this is the way I'm reading it. These are nice cars, but you pay to play. Everything on these cars costs more, just like a corvette.

also the 10+k you save by buying used is so worth it. I mean your not gonna have an issue with these cars, no matter how hard they drove it. Now I won't say the same about it if it's been modded... that's a whole extra can of worms.

Jeffrey
09-09-10, 10:20 AM

Hi,

Who are your sources?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
09-09-10, 10:57 AM
also the 10+k you save by buying used is so worth it. I mean your not gonna have an issue with these cars, no matter how hard they drove it. Now I won't say the same about it if it's been modded... that's a whole extra can of worms.

Hi,

Strongly disagree. I'm very capable of ragging out a stock V2 at the track. Where do you live? :D

Best regards,
Jeffrey

chicaboom
09-09-10, 11:44 AM
Hi,

Strongly disagree. I'm very capable of ragging out a stock V2 at the track. Where do you live? :D

Best regards,
Jeffrey

some people can break anything no matter what.:bomb:

chicaboom
09-09-10, 11:48 AM

~ Matt

:banana::cheers: That's great;)

chicaboom
09-09-10, 11:52 AM
:gun::bazooka::killer:
The reason I say this is you are really putting a TON of effort to justify this car, and you have made many comments about how you want a reliable nice, "pimp" car but don't want high maintenance.

Maybe this is not what your meaning, but this is the way I'm reading it. These are nice cars, but you pay to play. Everything on these cars costs more, just like a corvette.

:arghh:Pimp car???:ack::raspberry::rollingpin::gun2::want:
So you say:wtf::wtf2:
"Dining in the back sun roof top digging the scene with the":gun::bazooka::dummy::boom:

Domsz06
09-09-10, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

I strongly disagree with your statement. If you drive my v2 and beat the crap out of it it will also look like crap and you can tell. When I bought mine it was pristeine! I highly doubt mine was abused and the 20k I saved from buying new is well worth it to me.

Thanks.

Domsz06
09-09-10, 12:10 PM
:gun::bazooka::killer:

:arghh:Pimp car???:ack::raspberry::rollingpin::gun2::want:
So you say:wtf::wtf2:
"Dining in the back sun roof top digging the scene with the":gun::bazooka::dummy::boom:

each to their own. Let me find your exact quote...

Domsz06
09-09-10, 12:15 PM

sorrry it wasn't pimp it was style and profile. :cool2:

Jeffrey
09-09-10, 12:44 PM
Hi Jeffrey,

I strongly disagree with your statement. If you drive my v2 and beat the crap out of it it will also look like crap and you can tell. When I bought mine it was pristeine! I highly doubt mine was abused and the 20k I saved from buying new is well worth it to me.

Thanks.

Hi,

I definitely agree that most of us would be able to tell. I have no doubt that you could/can tell.

Your statement that I strongly disagreed with was, specifically:

I mean your not gonna have an issue with these cars, no matter how hard they drove it.

IMO, V2s can be abused (by just having a lot of fun at the track) and (as you said) they will reflect it. I think it does matter "how hard they drove it" and you may have an issue with a V2 that has been driven really hard, many times. That's why I strongly disagree with your statement that I bolded above.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Domsz06
09-09-10, 01:27 PM
ah i seee what you mean. Yeah true, my statement was not as clear as it should have been.

;)

Live n learn :)

Hi,

I definitely agree that most of us would be able to tell. I have no doubt that you could/can tell.

Your statement that I strongly disagreed with was, specifically:

IMO, V2s can be abused (by just having a lot of fun at the track) and (as you said) they will reflect it. I think it does matter "how hard they drove it" and you may have an issue with a V2 that has been driven really hard, many times. That's why I strongly disagree with your statement that I bolded above.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

mugatu22
09-09-10, 02:10 PM

I agree with this.

Manufacturing tolerances have changed so much in the last 15-20 years. Buying a new car 15-20 years ago was more important than it is today if you were concerned with engine break-in, because of the difference in lifespan it could potentially make. Today's modern engines are torture tested at redline RPM for hours, days, months and are made to hold up.

Most high performance vehicle engines are tested at the factory and given a moderate workout before they ever leave the plant to ensure that they deliver a working car. "Break in miles" make new owners feel good but they're certainly not as necessary as they once were. Even if you were to buy a used V with 5k miles and nearly all of them had been at WOT (which is impossible), the engine would still be warrantied AND it would probably be well broken-in, not killed.

The savings makes buying lightly used worth every penny. Let someone else pay for the depreciation hit, tax hit on the full price of the car, and gas guzzler tax!

Domsz06
09-09-10, 03:30 PM
I agree with this.

Manufacturing tolerances have changed so much in the last 15-20 years. Buying a new car 15-20 years ago was more important than it is today if you were concerned with engine break-in, because of the difference in lifespan it could potentially make. Today's modern engines are torture tested at redline RPM for hours, days, months and are made to hold up.

Most high performance vehicle engines are tested at the factory and given a moderate workout before they ever leave the plant to ensure that they deliver a working car. "Break in miles" make new owners feel good but they're certainly not as necessary as they once were. Even if you were to buy a used V with 5k miles and nearly all of them had been at WOT (which is impossible), the engine would still be warrantied AND it would probably be well broken-in, not killed.

The savings makes buying lightly used worth every penny. Let someone else pay for the depreciation hit, tax hit on the full price of the car, and gas guzzler tax!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so agree and so well said!

snzuloz
09-09-10, 09:14 PM
I agree with this.

For once I finally agree with you on something Mugatu ^^^^^^ But it sure is nice buying that new car if you can afford it as well, your only here once unless you believe otherwise.

A movie reminded me of you the other day ( Greenberg with Ben Stiller) except the parts with all the s*x, sounds just like your type of comedy.

hulksdaddy
09-09-10, 09:20 PM
It definitely makes more financial sense to buy used, especially year old, babied.

However, I like new. Just a mindset, no rhyme nor reason. Cost more money, but then I'll just go out and make more. :D