: Got Verbally Abused by a Prius Owner

sven914
08-31-10, 11:58 PM
Monday was the first day of classes, and the school parking lot was really full. I was running late after lunch and accidentally took up one and a half parking spots. When I was unlocking the car, after class, this middle-aged, short guy was walking by my spot. As he waddled past, he said something to the effect of, "Nice Parking Job." I didn't really comprehend what he said at first, and stupidly asked him to repeat himself. His reply was a verbally abusive rant about how I obviously thought I owned everything, didn't give a shit about anything, was completely irresponsible for keeping something that old on the road, and how he was better than me because he was more considerate of others. I just stood there and nodding my head, looking at his giant bald spot, pretending to agree with him, with my left hand caressing my pocketknife. When he finally shut up, I didn't say anything and he started mumbling expletives, as he pompously walked over to a Toyota Prius, parked in the spot adjacent to mine. As I was getting into my car, and he into his, I yelled, "Hey. When you pull that thing into your garage, does your garage ask, 'Is it, is it in yet?'"

csbuckn
09-01-10, 12:07 AM
"Hey. When you pull that thing into your garage, does your garage ask, 'Is it, is it in yet?'"

CLASSIC!!! Should be a bumper sticker.

77CDV
09-01-10, 01:18 AM
Nice retort! My usual method of dealing with such people is a mild "I'm sorry you think so", followed by turning by back on them and ignoring anything else they may say.

MudAnt
09-01-10, 03:35 AM
Internet high five.

albymangled
09-01-10, 04:29 AM
Dont know why you felt the urge to stroke ya pocket knife....(or why ya have one really) but full marks for the (relatively) polite comeback...

me, (mellowed as I am in my early fifties) I probably would have asked him if was a professional wanker or just a highly skilled amateur before suggesting he go f@#k himself...

outsider
09-01-10, 07:39 AM
lol...prius owners. They think their prius is a real car but it's not.

jsherid1
09-01-10, 08:39 AM
Hateful lentil-fueled transport for the insufferably self-righteous. And itís not even all that economical.
- Jeremy Clarkson on the Prius

Great comeback. One other thing is that your carbon footprint is probably actually smaller than his when you consider the energy used to make that little crapbox and ship it over to the US. The materials used in his batteries aren't exactly green.

You can also take comfort in the fact that they are horrible to drive. Hertz gave me one on a trip to Montreal, you would not believe the road noise and the vibration that this 400 mile old car had at highway speeds. It got great gas mileage but everything in the interior was the nastiest, cheapest plastic possible, rear visibility was poor and the side mirrors were designed in a way that road grime built up on the side windows.

brougham_geezer
09-01-10, 10:15 AM
Well done! When it comes to driving these monsters, and the reactions they bring from the public at large I am on the fence as to which is my favourite:

1. That car's in some shape! / Beautiful car! / They don't make 'em like that anymore! / My uncle/brother/dad/grandfather had one just like that! (Etc.)

OR

2. Any negative reaction or sign of of disgust.

Both are just so satisfying somehow! There's no downside to driving these cars if you truly love them. They make me so proud no matter what reaction they drum up. :highfive:

I am retiring my '95 Tercel for a 425-powered '81 Fleetwood.

I love it.

Congrats again! Stick it to 'em!

water walkin warrior
09-01-10, 11:41 AM
Awesome! That's hilarious. I sometimes purposely look for small cars to park next to just for the contrast. My favorite one to park next to is the Mini Cooper. lol

Stingroo
09-01-10, 12:39 PM
I do that too. At school I sometimes park next to my friend's little Civic Hatch. I told him he should paint it red because I needed a lifeboat. :lol:

GeneLaw1
09-01-10, 12:49 PM
I agree, great comeback, I am also always at odds on this same topic with an environmentalist friend of mine, they can have the wind-up toys, I will stick to the real cars!

sven914
09-01-10, 04:36 PM
Right now I'm parked next to a Smart Car; if only I had my camera...

You can also take comfort in the fact that they are horrible to drive. Hertz gave me one on a trip to Montreal, you would not believe the road noise and the vibration that this 400 mile old car had at highway speeds. It got great gas mileage but everything in the interior was the nastiest, cheapest plastic possible, rear visibility was poor and the side mirrors were designed in a way that road grime built up on the side windows.

When I was working for a Goodyear garage, we would get Priuses in for oil changes every once in a while. I could never get the damn things out of gear; I would shift it out of park and the entire car would shut off. As another annoyance, they have that stupid back-up alarm, which I didn't know about, so when I did get the first one to move, I kept stopping because I thought there was something coming.

Bro-Ham
09-01-10, 04:54 PM
I don't suffer fools well so I simply ingore jackwagons like the one you encountered. Unless someone in a prius is directly preventing me from doing what I want to do I pretend they're not there and that drives them nuts. :)

axe
09-01-10, 06:03 PM
I salute you for your smart remark. Thanks. :)

Is there anything worse than people who actually think they save the world because they drive a supposedly "fuel efficient" vehicle? How are they actually helping? The best thing they could do to be as little harmful to the environment as possible is for them to strap a heavy object to their legs and dump them self into the deepest of oceans. Not that I'd suggest that but if they really want to make as little impact as possible... :)

I see these Priuses everywhere here and I can't help but notice many of the drivers being frustrated doing strange things in traffic. Them crap boxes suck in almost every regard. There are small non hybrid cars with atleast as much interior room with equal to less MPG.

I'm truly glad you Americans still build great cars and trucks with atleast some soul left in them.

Dirtywaterdiver
09-02-10, 12:44 AM
I tell people like that I use my 68 Deville to run over baby seals.

The-Dullahan
09-02-10, 01:00 AM
That line is an oldie, but goodie. Perfect comeback from someone in the Vintage Car community.

Just recently I told some punk at a red light that "My Car's a hybrid too! she burns gas and ozone"

If I ever visit Ohio, please let me stop by. I'll triple park in the handicapped zone, and leave my engine idling, just for that wanker.

For all the positive feedback I get about my car, I prefer people who respect it for being a Cadillac, rather than it's being a Hearse and whatnot. I really wish I could hear more of the negative remarks people would give me if they had the chance. From what I'm told, I give off an bad visual aura, so maybe they just don't bother talking to me, because they assume I am some dumb punkass kid.

Prius owners are a funny bunch.

Warren_R
09-02-10, 04:09 AM
<Prius owners are a funny bunch.>

The funniest part is, that they don't realize what the joke is. :D

BTW that was a nicely done reply, Sven. I'd have told the stupid son of a b**** to go f*** himself with a cactus & spin it. At least for openers :)

AElayyat
09-02-10, 09:15 AM
When I use to drive my Cadillacs daily & I would get remarks like that Prius owner, I would tell them to no feel bad, some day their car will grow up & be a real car & I would walk away & piss them off even more.

outsider
09-02-10, 09:24 AM
^ HAHA that's funny :D

jsherid1
09-02-10, 09:28 AM
These sum most Pious owners up nicely.

sven914
09-02-10, 10:33 AM
^
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/68058d1283434017-got-verbally-abused-prius-owner-funny-graphs-prius.gif
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/68059d1283434017-got-verbally-abused-prius-owner-prius.jpg

From what I'm told, I give off an bad visual aura, so maybe they just don't bother talking to me, because they assume I am some dumb punkass kid.

Prius owners are a funny bunch.

This guy was a ballsy little f**ker. I stand about 6'4'' and weigh around 280. This dude couldn't have been taller than 5'6" and was pushing 230 at least. For those who play GTA; he sorta looked like Ricardo Diaz, only without the Columbian heritage.

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/images/oldsite/ricardodiaz1130653297.jpg

TWasArroundHere
09-02-10, 11:41 AM
I would have said "Hey, nice Prius. I think my Cadillac Brougham sh*t one of those out the other day. I laughed because its not a real car."

The-Dullahan
09-02-10, 12:09 PM
The
One
You
Ought
To
Avoid

We need to start a Cadillac Owners against Prius's club....what the hell is the Plural of Prius? I don't think Toyota ever even came up with a plural for "The All New Prius"...maybe because even THEY didn't even expect to sell them. I feel sorry for you, Craig. I hear they're everywhere out by you, scurrying around like the cockroaches that they were modeled after.

Bro-Ham
09-02-10, 01:09 PM
The deepest sounding of my trumpet horns on my car is still blown out from an encounter with an idiot Prius driver earlier in the year. I honked my horn yesterday and was reminded of it. :)

Stingroo
09-02-10, 03:18 PM
I remember that. Time to get your horn working properly again!

Then again, who am I to talk... I need to do the same thing over Christmas break.

*adds to list*

jsherid1
09-02-10, 03:54 PM
In answer to what the plural of Prius is:

I am going to hazard a guess, since the plural of pen** is pen**es, it is likely to be Priuses.

Most are insufferably smug, I love pulling up next to them in my wife's Escalade and giving them the "W" sign just to tick them off.

A female friend has a T-shirt that I love, "I had a guy in a Prius want to race me from the lights, I had him the whole way across the intersection but I can only walk so fast in heels"

77CDV
09-02-10, 11:00 PM
The
One
You
Ought
To
Avoid

We need to start a Cadillac Owners against Prius's club....what the hell is the Plural of Prius? I don't think Toyota ever even came up with a plural for "The All New Prius"...maybe because even THEY didn't even expect to sell them. I feel sorry for you, Craig. I hear they're everywhere out by you, scurrying around like the cockroaches that they were modeled after.

They are indeed ubiquitous here, though like dirt, they are easily ignored. I get the occasional verjuice stare from their drivers, but most are too involved in their cell phone conversations or primping their makeup to pay attention to what's going on around them.

albymangled
09-03-10, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-tyvBGla4&feature=related

Bro-Ham
09-03-10, 01:01 AM
I think we're giving far too much attention to these prios jagoffs. Be proud of who you are and what you drive and let the rest of the inconsequential cars and people be like water off a duck's back. We're better than them and they don't deserve our time or attention. I say, unless they are physically in the way of our movements they should be ingored, which hurts them more than our reactions ever could. Just the presence of our cars is enough to drive them nuts. :)

albymangled
09-03-10, 03:38 AM
Funny, I thought we were having a laugh at their expense....

personally I put them under the generic heading of "Japanese Garbage" along with the rest of the oriental shitboxes that clutter our modern roads....

Cadillacboy
09-03-10, 11:06 AM
One thing about PIRIUS is actually nothing SERIOUS lol

sven914
09-03-10, 11:35 AM
Well it's good to know there's still hypocrisy in this world... I was just cut off in the parking lot, by the same a**hole, only he was driving a Dodge Journey.

jsherid1
09-03-10, 02:17 PM
Dodge Journey? He apparently really likes interiors by Fisher Price.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-03-10, 07:22 PM
Oh man, this is funny. I can't believe how full of themselves the self righteous Prius owners are. Who the **** is he to come over as a complete stranger and lecture YOU on what YOU'RE doing wrong?? **** him! I personally would have told him to go **** himself and then proceeded to park him in and do a big smokey burnout as he watches in horror. Hahaha, he'll be having nightmares about that.

Or, keep an eye on his Prius (specifically his Prius) and slash the tires on it at a later date, so he won't think it's related to your little argument a few days ago. :lildevil:

sven914
09-03-10, 10:13 PM
I personally would have told him to go **** himself and then proceeded to park him in and do a big smokey burnout as he watches in horror. Hahaha, he'll be having nightmares about that.

I've got the 307, so burnouts are a outside of my abilities. I suppose I could roll out the spare and light it on fire, but that might be a little over zealous. Maybe roasting the Prius would be better for the environment.

The-Dullahan
09-04-10, 12:27 AM
OH NO! A Dodge Journey? Don't tell STING!

I was hoping for an update. Anyhow, I have never really had any instance of confrontation from a Prius owner, except the one time I already mentioned. The rest, to me at least, are just generic Toyota drivers, which are about the same on the road as most tourists in Minivans, so I really don't notice them unless I get stuck behind one. To be honest, I couldn't explain the physical appearance of any Toyota in detail now that I realize I have no reference in front of me. The few i am most familiar with, I have no idea the name of and the names of the ones I DO know, I can only clearly make out certain details, like weird egg-shaped Priuses and that weird grille on the Camry[?]. I speculate both cars are 4 door sedans.

Stingroo
09-04-10, 12:36 AM
Oh my god, Chamus why did you have to remind me? Damn it.

I hated that ****er! So annoying! I'm glad I got to mess with him for 30 minutes, though. :thumbsup:

Ralph
09-04-10, 12:39 AM
you're a Cadillac driver, we don't take abuse from Prius owners, we drive OVER Prius owners! ;)

Warren_R
09-04-10, 07:18 AM
Sven, the difference in height/weight was prolly a factor in why the useless sack of excrement ran his cheap mouth off. He figured that someone 6"4" & 240lbs. wouldn't be likely to knock his sorry a** across the lot. Of course, a tire iron in your hand might have drastically changed his calculation. :hmm:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-10, 09:01 AM
Yeah, that would be kind of funny, having him rant and rave at you, while you pop your trunk open and grab a tire iron. I bet without you even saying a word, he would have shut up and drove off.

sven914
09-04-10, 12:25 PM
That reminds me... I got a lead pipe in the trunk (left over from my last scrap load).

durrk johnson
09-04-10, 03:59 PM
Dont know why you felt the urge to stroke ya pocket knife....(or why ya have one really)

I was thinking the same thing.

Why would you shank some nerdy guy in a Prius? hahaha

sven914
09-04-10, 04:49 PM
^It's a force of habit that keeps my mind somewhat occupied. I would be more resourceful than to shiv someone in broad daylight.

I haven't gone anywhere without my blade since I started carrying one, when I started working as a tech (more as a utility thing than anything else). Because I've been supplementing my income by collecting scrap metal, I never know when I'm going to need a screw driver, a pry bar, and a wire cutter, so instead of carrying my tool box everywhere, I use my pocket knife.

csbuckn
09-05-10, 01:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Why would you shank some nerdy guy in a Prius? hahaha

The dude had the balls to say something stupid to someone as big as Sven, knowing conflict could arise from it. Then cuts off Sven in another car the same week. Sounds like a knife is good insurance for this situation.

The-Dullahan
09-05-10, 02:46 AM
He's an instigator. Maybe he wouldn't have even started with you if you were more meek looking than him. He sees you, assumes you are prone to violence or bad behavior and viola! He has a target. There ARE people like that, I do not even understand their motivation, as most do not seem to want a lawsuit or anything, just to cause trouble and get you to hit them so they can try to have you arrested.

As for carrying a knife, I always do. Quite a number of them sometimes, but usually just the one. Not even one with an attached multitool, just with a folding blade. In a typical day, I use it a good three or four times at a minimum. The difference between a knife and a conventional weapon is that though both are tools, weapons serve only the purposes of combat, whileas a knife serves a multitude of purposes and the police in most areas do not mind people carrying them (though exactly what TYPE of knife you are allowed may vary). Same with Lead pipes or tire irons in your car. you are perfectly welcome to carry something like that in your car, because it is not necessarily a weapon. People like me even bend the rules and carry barbed-wire-wrapped wooden bats in their cars, though I do not suggest that to any of you. Sven of course, would still not attack this person in front of onlookers in what seemingly was an unprovoked situation with a lead pipe, but if circumstances arose, at least he COULD be ready for a fight (not that I imagine this man being much of a challenge for anyone). The weak of the mind will use fists. The first man to raise a fist IS in fact the first man to run out of ideas, but one must remember that if push comes to shove and you DO have to fight to stand up for yourself, you must still end the conflict with your mind. I think Sven reacted in a far more adult and way than the moron in the Prius and even his comment wasn't exactly disrespectful, so Sven won the battle. not only did Baldy lose the battle, but held a grudge over it and made an idiot of himself moreso with his Journey. Keep a loom out for the little fellow though, he may try to start with you again, not that I expect him to ever get physical or vandalize that lovely car of yours, but you never know with some people. It has happened to all of us at some point.

Andrew78
09-05-10, 03:41 AM
my favorite retort is Look after my spare wheel as your car will fit in my boot usualy gets a laugh mind you parking bays are getting smaller (shorter) even here in Australia

Stingroo
09-05-10, 11:00 AM
I carry a knife too, honestly. It's a little hardened steel blade, about 4 inches long. Comes in handy quite often. Popping open clips and such under the hood, cutting wire, etc. etc.

And there's been a bit of a wave of vandalism in our parking lot at school. One guy in a fraternity pissed somebody off and they beat him up, and then keyed the crap out of his Mustang (and of course decided to break the door handles off too...). And then another girl had her convertible top slashed on the other side of campus. Makes me glad I drive the wagon, it's so unassuming :D

sven914
09-05-10, 01:28 PM
As for carrying a knife, I always do. Quite a number of them sometimes, but usually just the one. Not even one with an attached multitool, just with a folding blade. In a typical day, I use it a good three or four times at a minimum. The difference between a knife and a conventional weapon is that though both are tools, weapons serve only the purposes of combat, whileas a knife serves a multitude of purposes and the police in most areas do not mind people carrying them (though exactly what TYPE of knife you are allowed may vary). Same with Lead pipes or tire irons in your car. you are perfectly welcome to carry something like that in your car, because it is not necessarily a weapon. People like me even bend the rules and carry barbed-wire-wrapped wooden bats in their cars, though I do not suggest that to any of you. Sven of course, would still not attack this person in front of onlookers in what seemingly was an unprovoked situation with a lead pipe, but if circumstances arose, at least he COULD be ready for a fight (not that I imagine this man being much of a challenge for anyone). The weak of the mind will use fists. The first man to raise a fist IS in fact the first man to run out of ideas, but one must remember that if push comes to shove and you DO have to fight to stand up for yourself, you must still end the conflict with your mind. I think Sven reacted in a far more adult and way than the moron in the Prius and even his comment wasn't exactly disrespectful, so Sven won the battle. not only did Baldy lose the battle, but held a grudge over it and made an idiot of himself moreso with his Journey. Keep a loom out for the little fellow though, he may try to start with you again, not that I expect him to ever get physical or vandalize that lovely car of yours, but you never know with some people. It has happened to all of us at some point.

You and I seem to share a common mind set...

Bro-Ham
09-06-10, 11:12 AM
Oh my...keep your car insured, carry a cell phone, ignore jagoffs, and you'll be fine. All the bats, pipes, and knives will do little good if your assailant, real or imagined, is packing heat and is crazy enough, drunk enough, or high enough to pop a cap in your ass. Be the gentlemen I know (or, at least I hope) you are and you'll always be just fine. :)

Stingroo
09-06-10, 11:18 AM
Oh my...keep your car insured, carry a cell phone, ignore jagoffs, and you'll be fine. All the bats, pipes, and knives will do little good if your assailant, real or imagined, is packing heat and is crazy enough, drunk enough, or high enough to pop a cap in your ass. Be the gentlemen I know (or, at least I hope) you are and you'll always be just fine. :)

Fair point he raises. Like I said, mine is for utility purposes only, and normally stays in the glove box anyway (along with my little orange 9 LED flash light. Good god those things are handy!)

caddeville89
09-06-10, 12:54 PM
Bravo on that comeback!!! I haven't got that one yet, but I do hear people say "Gee, that must suck gas" to which my retort is usually "Guess that's the small cost of driving a decent car." As a society we have abandoned art for utility (Think Communist Russia) as the greatest good. This is why all our new cars look exactly the same, despite the fact that a decent-looking car can get just as good fuel economy as do these new "dookies with wheels". I spent a few hours at the Hot Rod Nationals here in Louisvegas, and my thought was "If the big three made cars that looked like this today, they probably wouldn't be asking for bailouts."

The-Dullahan
09-07-10, 12:21 AM
Agreed, Bro-Ham.

My knife is carried strictly for utilitarian purposes (Besides that, an Irishman is NAKED if he is wearing a kilt, but not carrying a blade, TRUE STORY) and barbed-wire-cricket-bat, known affectionately as "The Flyswatter" is a lovely little souvenir from my old job, which, believe it or not, is one of the tools of the trade for any gravedigger and I only started carrying it initially when I had those ghetto kids sent by my/my sister's personal stalker and one night a few of them decided to bring baseball bats. Hah. Baseball. Didn't know that was still around.

csbuckn
09-07-10, 03:45 AM
I guess it depends on the place you are. Minneapolis has got so bad lately plus I live on the northside, I think the city is at 48 homicides this year. And most of it starts from the dumbest things. I believe in having some type of weapon, especially if you are young.