: Removing the thermostat on a 77 CDV (4BBL)

jsherid1
09-01-10, 12:31 AM
Since the car smelled hot and the upper radiator hose looked like it was trying to collapse, I decided to replace both. I have the old hose off and the front bolt out of the thermostat housing, any ideas on how to access that rear bolt that is conveniently nestled under the AC Compressor? I can't seem to get a Gear Wrench on it and there isn't enough room to ratchet it in any case. None of my sockets can reach....help!

If there were a bang head emoticon I would have inserted it here.

Garys
09-01-10, 12:51 AM
:banghead:The ac compressor unbolts (4) pretty easily and can be moved back an inch or two out of the way.Man, can I relate. :banghead:

1980coupe
09-01-10, 12:55 AM
have to remove the ac compressor. Had to on my 80 and on the 78.

jayoldschool
09-01-10, 02:09 AM
Yes, the AC compressor must be removed. This was during a water pump swap, but you will get the idea.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadillac/005-2.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadillac/002-2.jpg

jsherid1
09-01-10, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys, guess I will move the AC compressor, did you need to remove the belt as well?

I would love to have just one car that had an accessible thermostat--the 928 has one bolt that is easy to get to and one that is blind/hidden making a 30 minute job a 2 hour exercise in profanity.

Garys
09-01-10, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I would remove it as it is not hard to loosen. I will be changing the waterpump, thermostat, and all the cooling system hoses this weekend on my '79 Fleetwood. So, I will be getting a little exercise too! :cursin:

Mason H
10-02-10, 03:34 AM
If it is anything like my 75, we just loosened the rear bolt with a ratchet and universal joint then used a flat head to unscrew it the rest of the way. Were all rear bolts slotted for a flat head or is this something someone did to mine afterwards?

jayoldschool
10-02-10, 02:14 PM
I would love to have just one car that had an accessible thermostat

Chevy V8 ;)