: P23 code and intermittent engine skip

kinghoser
08-31-10, 11:09 PM
1995 Cadillac Eldorado Northstar Y engine

For months I've had an intermittent engine hesitation or skip. The skip would happen hot or cold, fast or slow. Sometimes it throws the p23 code but only around 10% of the time. Luckily the local junkyard had a couple trashed caddy's to pull parts from. Swapped out the ICM, new plugs, wires, swapped out coils, all to no avail. Following the Cadillac repair manuals helped a lot but electric stuff is not my specialty. I figured the only things left were the wiring or the computer. Got a computer from the junkyard...$37.00. Took my old prom and put it in the junkyard computer. In 30 minutes I swapped computers and programmed it via the manual. Runs like a champ now. One thing I learned is the computer can't tell on itself. It NEVER threw a data link code. Code p47/107 pcm/ipc data link was forced out by the mechanic. That was the major problem. I finally found that out when I took it to the dealership to scan codes. Btw, they wanted $700 for a new computer. I thanked them for the scan and walked out knowing I had my junkers to get parts from. Just wanted to share this in case anyone else was having the same issue. This website has helped me fix my drivers window motor and all that nasty carbon buildup. Thanks.

Submariner409
09-01-10, 03:08 PM
Good feedback and you can be certain that a lot of us with OBD-II PCM's wish we could pull the same swap you did !!! The pre-2006 control systems were more friendly................