: My V had to take the ride of Shame

Silver -V-
08-31-10, 12:43 PM
My V had to take the ride of shame to the dealer for service. I had tried to turn the car on, but the faux key would not turn and locked the ignition. I tried inserting the key fob into the compartment, re-setting the fuses, and nothing would work. I then set the parking brake, and it would not un-lock. At that point I called my dealer service rep (Rick Kinworthy @ Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine TX!) who immediately sent over a flatbed truck with two very good tow service workers. They very gently lifted the car out of the garage, put the car on their flatbed and took her in for repairs.

The dealer gave me a brand new SRX to drive while waiting for service on a busy day, and repaired the problem in the same day. I am giving two thumbs up to this dealer service! I am also very happy I had purchased the tow eye from Luke at Lindsey Cadillac. That tow eye made the car towing experience much better.

The problem was diagnosed as a Body Control Module that had a software glitch and needed re-programming. apparently there is a bulletin on possible pinched antenna leads, which did not apply to this issue. The only problem was a RCDLR module and BCM which was 7 software updates out of date. The dealer flashed the modules, tested the car, washed it and sent it back in one short day.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0432.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0435.jpg

While picking up the car, I wandered through the dealership, where this new 3.6 coupe was on display - All Flat Black with wheels and brightwork to match. This would look even better on a new V coupe. -

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0004.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0006.jpg

Hawkeye2
08-31-10, 12:55 PM
Glad it worked out for you and you got to see a unique but pricey coupe!

sybersport
08-31-10, 01:12 PM
$12,000 for the paint job? Am I missing something here?

Does it get applied in multiple stages or something, making it even more complex than a candy color?

Domsz06
08-31-10, 01:28 PM
wow that coupe in flat is HOT I love it!!

Glad your baby is ok. Did they really pull from the tow hook? last tow truck guy I talked to said they don't like to because they break off all the time....

Silver -V-
08-31-10, 01:43 PM
The Tow Eye is pretty heavy duty, especially compared to the eye that was available for the V-1. I have had to use it to get pulled out of the weeds when I made an off-track excursion during a recent lapping event, and now this experience. I believe GM should be putting the Tow Eye in every V they sell.

Domsz06 - are you the same as the Dom on Tige Owners?

Domsz06
08-31-10, 01:45 PM
cool thanks Silver.

yes i'm the same one.

WTH??? I just noticed 2500 to do the front mesh? really???

RippyPartsDept
08-31-10, 01:58 PM
Yeah those prices for the dealer installed mods seem wicked high

odla
08-31-10, 01:59 PM
The Tow Eye is pretty heavy duty, especially compared to the eye that was available for the V-1. I have had to use it to get pulled out of the weeds when I made an off-track excursion during a recent lapping event, and now this experience. I believe GM should be putting the Tow Eye in every V they sell.

Domsz06 - are you the same as the Dom on Tige Owners?

There is a location to attach a tow eye on the v1?

newcadman
08-31-10, 02:00 PM
First impression of the all (flat) black CTS (non V) coupe in the showroom pic is that it somehow belongs in or was removed from one of Mel Gibson's Mad Max movies!!!
Should be very interesting to see how it will be received and how many are actually sold?!

baabootoo
08-31-10, 02:08 PM
So we should by a tow hook somewhere then so we have one? My buddy had to get his GT 500 towed two months ago, in Michigan, and he didn't even have blocks for spacers!!!!! We had to drive to a curb to use as a ramp.

lavaman
08-31-10, 02:21 PM
Glad things worked out for you and thanks (I think) for sharing the pics of that coupe.

To each his own.... but I find the coupe to be... BUTT UGLY!

Domsz06
08-31-10, 02:32 PM
There is a location to attach a tow eye on the v1?

look in your front bumper, u will see a little square, remove that and you can attach in there.

oh you said v1, i told you for a v2

Vcoupe11
08-31-10, 02:55 PM
Is there a place to attach a tow hook on the rear of the V2 as well?

Gary

baabootoo
08-31-10, 02:57 PM
Is there a place to attach a tow hook on the rear of the V2 as well?

Gary

Yes. My buddy and I were just looking at these little square flaps yesterday, and walaa, a picture!

cdog533
08-31-10, 04:08 PM
$12K for flat paint?

I could make a stock black car look exactly like that if given some 800 grit sandpaper and a case of beer.

Domsz06
08-31-10, 04:49 PM
$12K for flat paint?

I could make a stock black car look exactly like that if given some 800 grit sandpaper and a case of beer.

lol too funny

neuronbob
08-31-10, 04:51 PM
:suspect: WOW. $12k for a PAINT JOB? I'd buy a spare V engine for that much.

You know what they say, there's a sucker born every minute....a less observant buyer seeing that total price might think they are getting a V.

Luna.
08-31-10, 05:09 PM
Interesting that the dealer is attempting to charge the customer $12k for a paint job that ultimately will reduce the value of the car...

DiamondWhtV
08-31-10, 06:29 PM
(Rick Kinworthy @ Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine TX!)

Anyone near Grapevine needs to look Rick up...one outstanding guy to work with. Gary (WFO) told me about him and he is absolutely one of the best I have ever dealt with.
Sorry about the thread hijack, but needed to be stated again.

Silver -V-
08-31-10, 07:53 PM
Anyone near Grapevine needs to look Rick up...one outstanding guy to work with. Gary (WFO) told me about him and he is absolutely one of the best I have ever dealt with.
Sorry about the thread hijack, but needed to be stated again.

I've been dealing with Rick since I bought my '04. He is the most professional dealer representative I have ever worked with. The whole group in service there is great. If the service group could sell the cars, I would never have to go inside the dealership.

V&Vette
08-31-10, 08:33 PM
The price on that thing is near the price of a V! Imagine paying the price of a V for a 6er. :cookoo:

RippyPartsDept
09-01-10, 01:02 AM
i printed those three images and took them up to our sales dept
a good laugh was promptly had by all

some of the guys thought it was too funny to be real

baabootoo
09-01-10, 01:04 AM
So your cars came with tow hooks? Where are they?

GMX322V S/C
09-01-10, 02:02 AM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/moth-94987/IMG_0432.jpg
Did you paint your towing hook red? Mine came solid silver but looks good red,+1...

Caddyscat
09-01-10, 02:02 AM
Pretty stupid that we have to buy a hook separately. That would have made things a LOT easier for me on Sunday night.

Silver -V-
09-01-10, 10:15 AM
I did paint it red/orange. I track the car a lot, so having a high visibility tow hook is needed "just in case". A simple 2 minute tape and spray with a can did the job.

As for the V1 tow eye, yes there is a spot, but it is in the rear, and the tow hook is quite a bit less sturdy.

translux
09-01-10, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your issue, reminds me of some of the issues I had with the M5:bonkers:

The flat black coupe looks like something from Deathrace 2000!
I love it!!

baabootoo
09-03-10, 02:17 PM
So what's the concensus? Should we have a tow hook then? I looked harder than a drug search, but still couldn't find a thing.

Silver -V-
09-03-10, 04:53 PM
So what's the concensus? Should we have a tow hook then? I looked harder than a drug search, but still couldn't find a thing.

The car does not come with a tow eye from the factory. You would have to order it through a dealer or parts department. I ordered my Tow Eye from Luke at Lindsay as a supporting vendor.

If you track the car, your track may require a Tow Eye. I found that for towing on a flatbed, it is a valuable tool if you don't want to risk possible scratches due to straps connecing with painted surfaces, or our fragile front ends and under carriage panels.

RippyPartsDept
09-03-10, 06:05 PM
list price is $74.10 - #20840384

baabootoo
09-04-10, 12:47 AM
Thanks. I spent at least 30 minutes there, and the dealer couldn't find it easily. I'll give them the number.

IBNR
09-04-10, 02:39 AM
It's an absolute must-have and an essential part of any well-considered roadside emergency kit; shame on GM for not including it with this car!

RippyPartsDept
09-04-10, 09:39 AM
baabootoo, i bet your dealer was looking in the catalog with your vin number (which didn't come with the tow eye hook package so it would be filtered out in the catalog if they were using you vin)

anyways what did make me think twice, is that the description of the part says front tow eye hook, but the illustration that it is in shows the rear bumper. there's clearly exhaust tips shown!
(i'm pretty sure gm just re-used that illustration from the v1 cts parts catalog which did have the tow hook in the rear, right?)

IBNR
09-04-10, 03:13 PM
The V2 has both front and rear attachments for the tow eye. Overkill perhaps, but that's why I bought 2 tow eyes. The car may only ever need to be winched from one direction at a time, but once up on a flat bed I like the idea of having both front and rear retention points.

RippyPartsDept
09-04-10, 03:18 PM
totally makes sense... plus you never know which direction you'll be facing when you're in a ditch :)

baabootoo
09-05-10, 02:01 AM
With a list of $78, I'll get me a 16 MM fine? bolt, and an eye nut.

Domsz06
09-07-10, 12:22 PM
With a list of $78, I'll get me a 16 MM fine? bolt, and an eye nut.

was thinking the exact same.