: Most effective ways to clean head and deck surfaces for head gasket change?

jimsbox
08-31-10, 12:04 PM
I am now trying to clean the deck and it is slow going. I am only using plastic scraper, shop towels, and acetone. I am having a tough time getting the black dimple pattern cleaned off and I have an irregular dark patch around a few of the bolt holes. Do you have to get all the black off or just until you cannot feel anything with your finger? I am so tempted to get in there with a razor blade or wire brush but know there could be dire consequences to such an effort.

Ranger
08-31-10, 01:27 PM
Someone who has done it will chime I, but I can tell you (in case you are not already aware) not to use Scotchbrite pads. :tisk:

Submariner409
08-31-10, 04:34 PM
Have you tried Permatex Gasket Remover or other brand ?

jimsbox
08-31-10, 07:39 PM
Deleted duplicate post

jimsbox
08-31-10, 07:40 PM
Thanks Sub,

I tried Versachem Gasket Cleaner and you are right, works great. Lucked out, OReilly Auto Parts is discontinuing this product so I got 4 cans for less than $7.50. Great deal to eliminate 6 to 8 hours the other way.

tateos
08-31-10, 08:00 PM
I (carefully) used a single edged utility razor blade and then brake cleaner - that's it. Whatever stains or marks were left after that did not concern me, and it worked just fine, just like it always has.

jimsbox
08-31-10, 08:14 PM
Thanks Tateos,

I wasn't sure if the black stains were significant. As I am sure you know your finger tips are very sensitive to minor irregularities and some of the black spots feel smooth as glass. I may try a razor blade in one area to see if it does any more cleaning than the plastic scraper, rags and Versachem. I used to use them on iron blocks & heads with no problem, just nervous using sharp steel on aluminum.

Submariner409
08-31-10, 08:19 PM
Thanks Sub,

I tried Versachem Gasket Cleaner and you are right, works great. Lucked out, OReilly Auto Parts is discontinuing this product so I got 4 cans for less than $7.50. Great deal to eliminate 6 to 8 hours the other way.

If you can gently "feel" the block and head mating surfaces and find no obvious irregularities, you're good to go. It is NOT necessary to get back to "production line clean".

jimsbox
08-31-10, 08:41 PM
Thanks again Sub, I feel a lot better now about this job.