: Losing Coolant

Slipgate
08-31-10, 11:32 AM
I am losing coolant at the rate of about a quart every 2-3 weeks. There is no other visible signs of a blown head gasket. No smoking, no loss of power, no overheating, etc. I am not sure it is the gasket but I don't see any signs of a leak. I just put a quart of water in every 2 or 3 weeks. In traffic, it will heat up to maybe 215-220 at the most and then when moving, quickly return down to 190, sometimes even 187.

So the question is, just how long can you drive the car if it has a blown HG before it is no longer driveable? If I have a blown HG, will it continue to get worse or has it been known to stop and stay at some point?

I do not plan on repairing the blown gasket. If it is blown, I'll drive it until it is too bad to drive, then enter it in the demolition derby. But could I drive this another 50k miles if it is the HG?

ponyboyt
08-31-10, 12:04 PM
when i bought my 97 the symptoms were there. I drove it for 4 months, i think i got about 30,000 km out of it. When it finaly went, it went hard. Full top up would burn it all up in less than 3km. Before it went i was adding half a jug a week, putting lots of km's on. I think with that engine, it was the rear that was gone but it held where it was, and later the front went catastrophically.

It could be tomorow, next week, next month. I havent seen two alike yet. Some smoke, some dont. Some overheat, some dont overheat till they lose too much coolant, some overheat when near full..

jimsbox
08-31-10, 12:16 PM
I had similar experience to Ponyboyt, started as an initial overheat, then slow usage of anti freeze as noted then suddenly rough idle at start up (smoothes out in a few seconds) and emptying the surge bottle in a few miles. Try using the block test kit from Napa (about $60.00) but my engine was negative for several tests that I did when it was using less coolant and wasn't positive for exhaust gasses in the coolant until the later stages.

Ranger
08-31-10, 01:24 PM
If I have a blown HG, will it continue to get worse or has it been known to stop and stay at some point?
It will continue to get worse. Maybe a 1000 miles if you're lucky before it becomes undriveable. Just a guess, but no where near 50K.